America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I've never been to New York so can't offer advice about more suitable parking but I was wondering whether you really need a car at all? If someone was flying in to Birmingham and coming to stay in central London, would any of us be thinking it was a good idea to hire a car? New York is an incredibly built up area so car parking is always going to be at a premium and expensive.

Return train fares from Philadelphia to New York start at $51 - so even if it is essential to go by car to the two outlets, it could be cheaper and less hassle to just hire a car for those two days. You aren't otherwise growing to need it and it seems ridiculous to pay both for the hire of a car and for parking for it to sit around for so long.

SM
The car was cheap only $240 with a full tank.

The train was quite expensive and we had to get a cab from the airport to the train station. Taxi was $285 each way all the way to NY. So a car works out cheaper if only we can use it for the shopping trips.

I have just emailed the garage to ask about in- out access. I will let you know what they say. This is a whole new situation to me :(
I guess that if the car is already booked there's not much you can do about now anyway but if you had been able to take advantage of the $51 return tickets that would've been less than half the price of the car hire plus parking fees.

SM
The car is only reserved but not paid for.

I just did not fancy dragging cases around and its not a case of getting off the plane and straight into the train station. Also i could not get the prices up at $50 return.

I did not mind the prices for parking but am confused as to how the whole system works all seems very alien to me. Driven all round the states but never come across this before . :que
Get to NY from Philly by train- and skip the car altogether in Manhattan.
Trains leave from the 30th st Station every hour or so, trip takes an hour- cost around $45 pp. Taxi from the airport around $30.
You can get a bus to Woodbury Commons from midtown on the Gray line bus.
http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/tourpage.php?item=WC
You can also get to Jersey shore outlets by bus, from the Port Authority, 42nd st /8th Ave- for $26 round trip-
http://www.visitnj.org/great-outlet-shopping-garden-state.
Anywhere else in town you can go by subway, or cab.

ALL parking in NYC is expensive.
So I work it out for 4 people round trip with trains and taxis on both ends of the trip roughly about 480 dollars .
Then Woodbury common is about 168 and jersey shore outlets 104.

So we are looking at 750 in total. The car is £200 and I have had reply from the garage and they want 240 dollars for parking with 24 hours accessibility. Plus you have not seen the amount of bags my two daughters can acquire in an outlet in America . I was going to check and see if they had lockers at woodberry common as I am used to dropping shopping bags back to our hire car.
Thank you all for your help x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.