General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
My son takes his portable DVD player and he watches a few DVD's during the flight. I am happy just to sit there and have a couple of drinks and talk with my wife.

We are off to the Holiday Village in Turkey in 3 weeks, but next year, August 2008, we are off to Crete and we have upgraded to the premium service on the First Choice flight.
Ensure you have a window seat so you can look out of the window and watch the world pass beneith you and take photo's like these :) Also, try and work out where you are based on your flight time and land marks. That can be fun!

Failing that, watch the film if its worth watching or take a book / magazine. I love flying so boredom on flights, however long they are (longest 14 hours!) I don't find a problem.

Darren
I listen to music on my MP3 player. I read a lot at home and always take a book for the journey but for some reason I can't concentrate on the plane so I end up only reading a few pages. Depending on the airline I watch the seat back videos. I usually ask for a aisle seat so that I can get out of the seat easily to have a walk round.
I used to fly short haul every few weeks and I could just about manage a couple of hours without tearing my hair out but I find the long journeys incredibly boring and have to stop myself checking my watch every few minutes.
Nice photos Daz :) One of them is on the flight path over my house. I always have the window (I paid for the holiday...) and I like to spot landmarks whilst up in the air, I've taken a few photos and videos myself, but if it's cloudy or if we are over the sea then I read my newspaper or magazine - I can't read a book on the plane, too many lengthy irritating announcements from the cabin crew (we are now selling drinks/duty-free's/raffle tickets/more drinks etc) it can also be difficult to concentrate on the movie if the cabin crew are feeling particularly pushy :roll:
We all have our iPods, son has his PSP loaded with a movie or two on the memory stick, and daughter just looks grumpy the whole flight (she's 14 - say no more...)
You used to get nice in-flight magazines with reviews of different destinations but the last few holidays we've been with First Choice and all you get is a glossy price list for various overpriced duty free's which can all be bought cheaper in resort.
We've never done longer than 4½ hours (Turkey, Canaries) don't know how I'd cope with anything longer than that :?
I read the in-flight mag, look out of the window, read my book, watch some t.v listen to some music, repeat all of the above and that probably takes care of the first hour (if I'm lucky). I just can't concentrate on anything I'm so excited. I keep checking my watch thinking at least another hour has past and it's probably no more than 15-20 mins after I last looked.
This year I've got a 10 and a half hour flight ahead of me so I'm hoping to at least doze for a while (don't know who I'm kidding I've never been able to sleep before).
I wish I could relax more and enjoy every minute instead of wishing I was there after an hour or two. The return flight is even worse as there's only work to look forward to the other side.
:D shirley h,

as you will be sat somewhere close to me , i would be obliged if you did not snore in the event of you nodding off! :fly :glynis :yipee
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.