Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Alsacienne,

you'll find the entry requirements on the FCO's website. You require a minimum of 6 months on your passport on the date of entry but we've travelled with less than that with no problems (on advice of the travel agent). 3 months is the cut off point from memory.

Darren
Hi

I'm looking to take my two lads away to Turkey for the October half term break while my wife slaves away at work :D

The problem I have is that my two sons passports run out on 5th March 2008. Reading the recommendations it says that its advisable that passports should have 6 months to run when entering Turkey.
How advisable is this? would I have a problem given there is 4 months left on theirs.

Being tight I'm reluctant to fork out £90 for two new kids passports before I need to.
Whatever country you go to you have to have at least 6 months left on your passport adult or child so I would definately renew the boys if you don't want to be disappointed
when booking your holiday your tour op should tell you that you need minuim 6months remaining i wouldnt risk losing holiday
If you renew early the Passport Office will credit you the 4 months and add it onto the new passports
A couple of years ago my passport only had 4 months on it but I was going to Spain. I got it checked out and it was definately ok for Spain. Phone the passport office and see what they say for Turkey.

Karen
hi okitsme,
i have just got a new passport for my daughter who had 4 months left on her's ,the passport office told me there had to be at least 6 months left on it for turkey,but as bridd mentioned they do add the remainder of the old passport to new one, :tup
sorry to put the spanner in the works but ive travelled twice recently with only 4 mths left of my kids passports to turkey and both times ive been ok, i know you are recommended 6 mths but i rang the turkish consulate and embassy in london and they told me as long as it had 3 full mths on return this was fine, dont take my word for this as rules do change but ring them yourselves and ask
Welshdoll

Thats not actually correct not all countries need you to have 6 months remaining on your passport.
Hi
I am going twice to Icmeler this year, once in July for 2 weeks and once in September for one week. My passport runs out in February 2008 so will only have 5 months left on it when I return home on October 2. I have been on the Turkish Embassy website and it states that all passports must be valid for THREE months from the date you leave the country.
I can't give you the web address as it won't let me post it for some reason. Just google Turkish Consulate and it is under General Visa Information

Cheers :lol:
personally i would not take the gamble,so many authorities saying different things,and as you get the remainder of the old passport added to the new one your not losing out on anything,can you imagine being turned back once you reach turkey, :sulk :bawl :swear
This is taken from the Turkish Consulate website under Visa Information

# All passport holders are required to have a minimum of three months validity on their passports when they leave Turkey.

The Foreign office advises that most counties require to have 6 month left on passports.

I personally would'nt risk it but its up to the individual
as ive already said ive done it twice with no problems and would trust the word of the turkish consulate over any other. we are going to turkey a few times this year when i go in oct my husband and my passport run out in feb 08 and i will not be not be renewing it until after xmas. again its up to each person but as okitsme is relunctant to pay this extra at the moment at least she has other options and can check for herself

http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/visa.htm#touristvisa1
okitsme i think you will find this link helpfull.
bluepeterno1http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/visa.htm
i had the same problem going to turkey 24 may and both my children are on my passport, which expires sept 07. post office and passport office advised i renew as need 6 months validity on passport...i have just sent it off at a cost of £66 for mine and £45 each child as they have to have their own..... :shock:
It's not the Turkish authorities or passport control that set the six month limit but the individual tour operators and they are the people you usually check in with at the airport. I have read of tour company personnel refusing to board people even though they have four or five months left on their passports. If you are going with a tour company then I would check with them. If your tour operator states six months then you are going to have to renew the passports.
hi we are in a similiar situation,we travel on the 7th of may to marmaris for a week our sons passports exspire in september 07.Ihave checked with the passport office,turkish embassy,tour operator and in the travel agents and they have all told me as long as there is three months left on them when we depart turkey there will be no problem .the information is on the turkisk embassy web site as well.sue
I was in the same position with my husbands passport.

I emailed the Turkish Consulate/embassy then I looked on their web site & I thought it said 6 months. But then I got email off them saying it would be OK. I had also looked on Thomsons website (before email) & read 6 months.

BUT & THERES A BIG BUT....... Before you get to Turkey you gotta check in with your tour op or airline & I didn't want Thomsons refusing to let us on the plane.
The holiday cost us £1,000, I didn't want to loose it for the cost of a passport that we would have to buy anyway!!!!!
You don't loose any time, they add it on the new one.

I wouldn't risk it.
my mother-in-law is going to turkey in sept till oct 5th but her passport runs out march 11th 2008 does she have to renew it before going because i have read somewhere that you have to have 6 months remaining and she will only have 22 weeks on returning remaining
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.