Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
ok for those looking for insperation this is the company that i use for my trips on Kritti [crete] it gives some examples of what to do/see

wizard
Thanks Wizard! That's really helpful :smile: Looking at the list I quite fancy the Elounda-Spinalonga-Agios Nikolaos trip, and Knossos as well. Not sure how many of those excursions will be available from Ierapetra, I can't imagine they offer all the trips from everywhere on such a large island, but it's nice to know what's out there.
The Petra Mare is not that bad. We went for 2 weeks in July last year and had probably one of our most enjoyable holidays ever. We paid a lot more than £2000 for 2 Adults and 2 Kids, so Ginkster, you got a good deal for 5 persons really.
We priced it up again this year and it is out of our budget. We would return to this hotel at a good price. but we did weigh up the pro's and cons. Yes the food was a bit samey (though not awful) you won't starve there. There is not much to do outside the complex itself and I don't think we would fancy the 2 hour trip to the water park again, or the crammed boat ride to 'Chrissi Island'.
So overall if we are to return to 'Crete', I think we would look for somewhere more central.
Yes the food was a bit samey (though not awful)
This is why as I said before you can't really say to someone don't go because it was awful etc because to us the food was awful but to others as stated it wasn't, that's why really with any holiday it's good to read up on the reviews but at the end of the day it's completely down to the individuals taste and that's why I said go with an open mind :cheers
It also depends on where you have been before :)
If you have been to somewhere better, then obviously you won't be as smitten with the place. However if you seem to be choosing better AI by the year (touch wood so far), then hopefully you will be more than pleased with your selected accommodation.
I should have been going to the petra mare on 22nd april 2008 for two weeks however first choice wrote to us and said due to low staffing levels there would be no entertainment or kids clubs till the 1st may so we cancelled and got our money back
Hi all
Planning to travel to petra Mare this year, here are some pics we took in 2005, I believe it has not changed much. It is a hotel geared up for kids.......

http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/59/759/6/69/80/2053669800049016981OoiLzC_th.jpg

Click on the link.
Want to just say that i went last two weeks of july 2007 and was dreading it after reading reviews and going on to this site, but we had such a great time we are going back this year, same time with two other families, so hoping its just as good! We found the food excellent but we are not fussy eaters so quite happy with greek food. kids clubs were excellent as was water slides and beach, great for snorkelling and water sports very reasonable. resort excellent loads of shops and cheap bars resturants, waikki bar just along beach fantastic. :sun2
Well, I went and paid my final balance today, so we'll be on our way in 12½ weeks (29th July). Still not happy about having our First Choice flight changed to Thomsonfly, but I'm starting to look forward to the holiday now!
Is anyone else going the same time as us?
Cyberspacekadette

We are a party of 9 (2 families) who, all being well, are going to petra mare same time as you. Flying from Newcastle at awful time - but on the plus side we should arrive at the hotel just in time to reserve some sunbeds the next morning !!!!.

Keitha
Hi Keitha - I think we've chatted before - you have teenagers right? Our flight time isn't ideal either but there just wasn't a better time available. Apparently they make a small buffet (sandwiches etc) for late arrivals, we'll probably need some food after flying with Thomsons (that's another story for another topic...)
I'm a single mum with an 18 year-old son and 15 year-old daughter. Looking forward to the holiday but not so sure about doing the sunbed run every morning - done it every year now for quite some time, varying rota duties with son while "madam" stays in bed... :roll:
Anyway, see you there!
Hi Cyberspacekadette,

We have chatted before, some time ago.

We are two families with 5 children - Boys nearly 17, and 14, Girls 14, 14, and 11. Adult ages 44, 43, 40 and 39. One of the girls celebrates her birthday the day we travel and one of the adults will celebrate her birthday whilst we are there.

Where are you travelling from. The timing of our flight means we should arrive not long before breakfast starts so wont be too bothered about food when we arrive.

I'm usually an early riser so I get the job of sorting sunbeds out. At the moment our kids have no idea we are going on holiday let alone going with their friends - so it should be a big suprise to them all.

Hope to see you there, no doubt early season visitors will be able to gives the heads up on the standards this year. Not too bothered about what other people think - we go with the idea that the holiday is what you make it. :D
Hi Keitha, just to let you know that my Daughter had her Birthday whilst we were staying at the Petra Mare and if you ask one of the reps they will organise a birthday cake to be made obvioulsy at a cost if you wanted to do that but, we did and it was really nice.

Hope you and cyber have a lovely holiday :wave:
keitha1065 wrote:
Where are you travelling from. The timing of our flight means we should arrive not long before breakfast starts.
We are travelling from Manchester, mid-afternoon flight which should get us to the hotel late evening, so it'll be a quick unpacking and straight to bed for us, ready for a bright and early start in the morning. I'll probably see how the sunbed situation is on the first morning, and if it means getting up at silly o'clock every day then I'll probably just end up on the beach - there's no way I'm going to do what I did in Turkey a couple of years ago (up at 6:30, then taking it in turns to sit on them until 9:00)
keitha1065 wrote:
Not too bothered about what other people think - we go with the idea that the holiday is what you make it.
We've been to quite a few places with iffy reviews and had a great time - I was having second thoughts about this one a few months ago but I'm just going to enjoy it now.
Are there any cash machines near the hotel? I usually just take enough cash for the first couple of days and need to "top up" my funds later on.
What is Ierapetra like for shopping? Is Ag Nic a better shopping place?
have you tried using the atm locators in this thread

wizard
Well, one week today we'll be there! :hyper
This thread has been so quiet this year compared to last summer. :-? Yes, I've seen the latest reviews (not very many of them, though) and looked at reviews on other sites too. Most of the reviews seem quite positive, so I'm not too worried.
Could anyone tell me where in Ierapetra I can buy British weekly magazines (Heat etc)?
Well, we're back! Will do a proper review in the next few days. Had a nice break, hotel was good, food was lovely, entertainment was a good laugh.
Ierapetra was disappointing - was expecting the picture postcard traditional scenery, but it's actually a load of unloved half-done graffitied concrete which, in some parts, looked a bit like when you see Iraq on the telly :|
Went on the trip to Knossos and Heraklion; Knossos is possibly the most desecrated ancient site in the world, all partially rebuilt with concrete and repainted "ancient" frescoes. And Heraklion is the scruffiest capital city I've ever seen.
The Cretan people were lovely and helpful and, bless 'em, so proud of their history and culture :smile:
This was our first time in Greece (always done Spain) and I can't really say I've been converted. No complaints about the hotel, but will be a long while before I go back.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.