General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Pets and Kennels
10 Posts
We have two JR's and have put them in a kennel in the past.
I would take the blanket he lies on or his favourite toy or some thing with your smell on it.
He will be okay as he will get walks.

You will also have to take him to the vet for an injection for kennel cough.
What we have done is to do a short stint, say a weekend first. Ours would have been about a year when first used kennels 'proper' as the first summer she went back to the breeder. But we did a weekend first- you then have the peace of mind on your fortnight away that they are OK and it's not totally strange for them. The fact that you were happy with the kennels just turning up is great, personally I would never trust anywhere that required you to make an appointment. We found our kennels the same way.

We also send her blankets and toys along with her- familiar things from home. I have to say she's never seemed particularly put out when we've collected her. The cat on the other hand is vocal for days :!:

Pam :D
We put our 7 year old cat into a cattery when we go away, he goes at least 3 times a year for between 2 and 3 weeks at a time.

I wear an old T-shirt for a couple of days before he goes and then pop it into his basket so he has something that is familiar to him.

Polly
We used to put our very boisterous Staffie into kennels. We were recommended a one by our neighbours. We checked them out after arriving un anounced, they gave us a tour and let us browse, then told us to come back with the dog to let her have a look around which we did. They were superb so we booked regularly for the last three years. It cost us around £150 each time but as she is a more mature dog now and has settled down a great deal, she is staying with my parents.
If it is a reutable kennel they will ask to see you yearly innoculations booster and expect you to have the animal imunised against kennel coughg.
I have a Chihuhuha and i wondered if anyone knows how the Doggy Passport scheme works?.. can u take the dog on the plane. I know if i did move abroad she wouldnt survive quarantine.

Please help
holidayz you may like to read this from Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
Bringing your pets to Britian don't be put of by the title it does give information on the Pet Passport scheme.
Thankyou allmen. I will definately take a look, "thanks from Uma" too.

:lol:
We have booked our 5 month old shih tzu into kennels on 28th may for 12 days, it's the first time I have had too use kennels. We decided to have a 'trial run' and left her last weekend for 2 nights 3 days, I hated leaving her but kept telling myself it was a holiday for her as well. She was so pleased too see us when we picked her up. The staff seemed very nice and I phoned every day (mad arn't we) The only other thing I would advise is to make sure your dog has flea protection as I spotted one on my dog that evening. So it was straight to the pet shop and was advised to use a flea shampoo and put 'spot on' on her today which we have done also washed all her bedding and fumigated the carpets. but at least she should be protected for 4 weeks then another capsul is required. Hope this helps - Sue
i would do a dummy run ,we put our dogue de bordeaux in with our british bulldog for 2 weeks when he was 8months .(puppified still) what a mistake we made, :( we could not get his leash on him after bringing him home .a normally cute layed back puppy became a vicious snarling monster,he seemed to compare his lead with being locked up,we had to make him see who is master,he still now at 2yrs is cautious of his lead and will only allow us to put it on if hes sure he is going for a walk
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.