Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi Alan, sounds like you had a mega time in Malta, fully with you on Il-Merill and The Perfection mate two excellent nominations, also if you can manage it we would love to hear about all the places you visited during your holiday.

Regards
Sliema2
do you want Gozo ? well, they are here anyway !

Mgarr... Sammys
Mgarr-Ix Xini... Noel and Sandras
Marsalforn... Pulena's
Victoria... It Munn or Rikardu's
Xlendi.... Stone Crab
Sannat... Sannat Football Club for pizzas
Hi Mark, no point mentioning all these places in Ghawdex as everything is always shut :lol: especially Gleneagles :glynis :roll: still feel miffed about that :cry:
Fontanella at Mdina, good food especially the cakes and a fantastic view from the terrace.

The little takeaway at the ferryport at Cirkewwa, a great cup of coffee and to die for peacakes. This place was 200 yards from our hotel and we spent nearly every evening down there just watching the ferries and chatting to the locals.
here's my list of tried and tested places to eat

gilleru restaurant - st paul's bay lovely setting on a terrace jutting out to sea with fishing boats tied up along side grat for fresh fish.

four seasons wine bar - birk'ka naxxar road good food, great wine, fantastic atmosphere.

ir-ritzu - marsaxlokk - great for fresh fish.

lorenzo's spinola bay - i had lobster starter - great and gypsy style lamb very good

the avenue - paceville inexpensive and huge portions

barracuda - balluta bay - for a very special occasion

ta' kollina - tower road - very good maltese fare

il-barri - mgarr- good maltese restaurant- great rabbit and horsemeat

maria's - ghar lapsi - good maltese food

almost forgot il-merril - not bad food either

sahha

alan
another fine eatery is

Greystones in Mellieha
Half Way Inn - Triq il-Marfa, Mellieha

Rays Little Armier Armier Bay, Mellieha

And of course:- http://www.thearchesmalta.com. Book in advance though!
Totally agree about Ray's Lido at Little Armier. Nothing better than the Maltese Platter and a bottle of Special Reserve at lunch time - swiftly followed by a snooze on a sunbed.

We will be back there in July - can't wait.

Also Da Rosita in St Paul's Bay which is directly opposite the Gillieru Harbour Hotel is excellent.
There is a fabulous place in Sliema, called CHEZ PHILIPPE. It is almost opposite the Sliema / Valletta ferry. It's not easy to spot as its just a doorway, but it's worth looking.
It was recommended to me by my boss, who is half Maltese. It's a very quiet little bistro, excellent food, wonderful, personal service. Menu changes regularly. The staff are great, they describe the food they have and how the chef will prepare it for you. It is very personal.
They rely on word of mouth, but I think the secret is slowly getting out.

It's an amazing place. I can't recommend it enough.

It is open most lunchtimes, but only Wednesday, Friday and Saturday evenings.

Enjoy!
Hi there :wave A bit of a way out but worth a try is the place in Imgarr (i think thats what it's called!) the place with the 'egg church' Try the restaurant that has the underground tunnels in it. They do a good selection of Maltese food. It is always full of Maltese which is usually a good sign. Don't order the lamb chops unless you are very hungry as my hubby got 7
Another good place in Mgarr is Sunny Bar & Restaurant on Sir Harry Luke Street which is in the same square as the church, I had fantastic fenek (rabbit) there last week and the local Mgarr village red wine was excellent aswell.

Regards
Sliema2
Il Mithna in Mellieha. The best meal i ever had, Highly reccommende. As it was also the place that i got married i cant say a bad word but it was truly the nicest place we went. A converted windmill. Fab.

Also in Bugibba, Georges bar does a mean brekkie.
for a list of restaurants and reviews have a look at http://www.restaurantsmalta.com home of the defintly guide to restaurants malta
Just got back from Malta. Went looking for places I remembered from my RAF days. There used to be a restaurant in Mosta called 'The Whisper'. Its now called Ta'Marija but still under the same ownership. Tried it out both for lunch and dinner and can't praise the food highly enough. Quality was superb and more than enough in quantity. Good choice of Maltese fare and the steaks were fantastic.

Highly recommended.
:lol: nice small family run bar/restaurant with home cooking . it is a limited menue but the food has been good everytime I have viisited there, some meals require prebooking due to the preperation time but when you eat it , then you will know its done the proper way and not reheated in a microwave. 10/10 for me
I must admit im a great lover of the Busy Bee in Msida.

http://www.busybee.com.mt/pages/coffeeshop.htm

And

Il-Veduta close to the Mdina main gate.
Out of interest has anyone ever tried Tal-Begig Restaurant on Valley Road in Msida ? I have been told by a Maltese friend that it is a nice little place that mainly serves traditional Maltese fair but we have never tried it yet ?.

Regards
Sliema2
hi we like the all saints bar in qawra they do a mean lampuki with olives cant wait to try it next week(we go on sunday ) lorna :D :lol:
Caesar's, which overlooks the Portomaso Marina is very good, both for coffee and cake and for meals. Quiet and can have a nice cool breeze. Also good for children. You can even take away portions of their excellent savoury pies and cakes!

Paparazzi is a bit noisy, being by the side of the main road but certainly does cheap and cheerful food with monster portions of dessert. Good view over Spinola Bay. Again, this is good for feeding children.

The little cafe by the Church in Mellieha has a spectacular view of the north of Malta, a playground for kids and good snacks.

The Blue Room Chinese Restaurant, again near Spinola Bay, in Spinola Road is very good if you fancy something oriental. Recommend the set meal for 4 people with Peking Duck!!

Just remembered - the Blue Creek Restaurant at Ghar Lapsi! Excellent cafe service and also a la carte is available. Good view of the coves below and plentiful parking.

It's making me hungry typing all this!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.