Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi Jo. The car park at the Playa Bonita is massive and barrier controlled. Never seen it full, although on Sundays the spaces around it are jammed, as Spaniards get there early before claiming a spot on the small beach below.
Not 100% certain, but I'd be astonished if hotel guests had to pay to park.
The Playa Bonita used to be owned by a Scot, John Peach, and was then called the Costa Azul.
Since then, maybe five years, I have yet to read a damaging review from anyone who has stayed there. You will no doubt know it is four-star accommodation, and much loved by the hundreds of Germans and Scandinavians who flock there in July and August.
Every room has a sea view, and there is a lift down to the massive swimming-pool area beachside. I have not stayed there, only dropped in for a drink, but understand the cuisine is excellent. Would have to be, with so many Germans going there.
Playa Bonita is situated in Torremuelle, between Benalmadena and Fuengirola, and there is a half-hourly bus service to both resorts, with a stop just yards from the hotel entrance.
As far as Tivoli World goes, the news is good, too. There is a train station in Torremuelle (10-minute walk up the hill), which takes you directly to Arroyo de la Miel, next stop on the line, where Tivoli is. Fom Arroyo station, the pleasure park is a mere six-minute walk away.
Yes, the beach at Playa Bonita is a bit "iffy", but not sufficiently so for you to avoid it like a bar of Cadbury's.
If you demand a better beach, just take the train from Torremuelle to Carvajal (again one stop away, heading the other way), where there is a splendid stretch of sand and a wonderful Spanish chiringuito called Los Andaluces. Great food and friendly staff. Highly recommended.
Hope this helps. Enjoy Playa Bonita. Tony.
http://rutytur.ciberactiva.com/tienda.php?B=B&TdaId=rutytur&FamNum=2704&ArtId=barrestandaluces&F=F#TopArticulo
hi Tony

Thank you for all your positive comments. I cant help feeling a bit disappointed though as I was hoping to avoid a german hotel this year. Not because Ive got anything against them ( my mum is german and all her relatives are lovely). Its just that we went to one last year and the kids club didnt even speak spanish let alone english and none of the children wanted to know my children. Ive got three young girls who all play well together but they love mixing with other children on holiday. Also we definitely felt that we were being treated like second class citizens by the staff. So does anyone know if it does appear in any English brochures? :?
hello tonyadams or anyone else who is hopefully interested. I noticed that this hotel is advertised by Airtours. Are they a british company. I thought the hotel I booked last year would be ok because it was on a Thomson site not realising that they are now run by a german coy. It was the thomson coy that ran the kids club and spoke only german and made no attempt to integrate any other children. Do people go to the hotel to eat and relax by the pool and beach even if they arent resident there. I saw on one website that a naturist beach is near by do they use the hotel facilities? sorry if i sound like a prude but i am just thinking of my children who all find it yuk!
Hi joagain

We too are looking at booking the Playabonita or Gran Hotel Playabella in Estepona.

We will be going on the 18th August, when do you go? I have 2 children 15 and 12, do you think there will be anything for a bored teenager? The Playabonita does look great on the website, but as you say, not many reviews around.

Still, it does seem to be in a good position for local transport to the more lively resorts. Personally, I would sacrifice a central location for a luxury hotel with good food and facilities.

We may see you there :glynis
If anyone would like to post a review, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
Hi Joagain. The Playa Bonita does not have a private beach that I know of, so, obviously anyone can get on to the stretch of sand at the foot of the hotel.
That said, that area has pay-for hamacas and brollies, and the Spaniards tend to shun them, and bring their own beach chairs and head beyond the Playa Bonita, nearer the Malibu Beach complex, which, incidentally has a wonderful terrace overlooking the beach, where you can have a cooling drink or a enormously tasty snack, or lunch.
Jo, when I was there - a guest of someone staying at Playa Bonita - I was down at the pool area several times and there were scores of English/Scots/Irish kids jumping in and out of the pools.
Don't imagine for a minute that the Germans and Scandinavians have taken over the place in its entirety. This is simpy not so.
The hotel has 336 rooms, and I'd guess that at least 100 of them will have British guests on any given week over the summer.
As far as entry to the pool areas goes, as I remember, it is swipe-card to get in and out, so non-residents simply cannot swan in without one.
Nudist beach? Don't give it a thought. The Playa Nudista is miles up the road, much nearer the Flatotel and Torrequebrada.
Walked past the pathway to it many, many times, but never had enough courage to head down further to have a peek.
Yes, there will be topless sunbathers at Playa Bonita (some of them women), but I guarantee that will be as far as it goes!
Hope this helps. Tony.
Thank you again Tony you've eased all my worries. CarolB we go on 27 July and come back before you intend to go so I will post a review when we come back or if it gets too hot I'll get one of my daughters to show me how to use the internet over there and post a review while I am there. One of the reasons I liked it was because it has slides in the pool and these dont appear in many others. It also has a nice indoor pool but some sites imply that it is closed during high season. Good luck what ever decision you make
Thanks joagain

Hope you have a lovely holiday and I look forward to reading your review. :sun
:) relieved to be back safe and quickly. Luckily I booked 12 nights instead of 14 otherwise we would have been delayed or cancelled. I have posted a review of the hotel and the resort. Cadge16 I wouldnt say this was the best hotel for teenagers particularly boys. Entertainment and facilities werent up to scratch - no games room, no space for football. The teenagers tended to congregate round the computers, pool tables (that kept breaking down) or beach and make their own entertainment . However I note youve just returned from Ibiza so I dont suppose you are jetting off again. I am happy to answer any questions.
You will find joagains review HERE

Kath HT Admin
hi folks

Well from the above posts and reviews I am looking forward
to my holiday at the Playabonita sounds good for the wife and I
we are both just retired, in fact the holiday is a retirement present
we both like walking and travelling on local transport
and like the sound of the cable car to the top of the mountain
also a visit to Gib.
The only question we have is regard evening temps as we are
going late September in fact what weather can we expect
thanks to all for past posts and reviews

Roy
Hi Roy. I'll be just a few miles up the road from you in September, and will not be taking any winter woolies with me. It should still be very warm during the day (72F average), and in the evening it should be in the mid 60s.
I've taken these figures for the period September 25-30 last year, when it reached 82F on the 29th (low that day 66F), while the coolest day was the 27th, when it still made 77F tops, and had cooled down to 62F overnight.
Drink plenty liquids. My choice is San Miguel!
Hi folks
We have just arrived back from from the playabonita and what a fab
time we had there, our room on the 9th floor overlooked the beach
they say all rooms have sea views but be wary of rooms 400 to 405
as the views are through bushes
Thanks for your info Tony the weather was great, and the beer very
cooling.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.