Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
While I sympathise with your dilemma, I am not sure what advice you are seeking?

It looks to me as though Direct Holidays have followed procedure correctly. They haven't changed the flight times by more than 12 hours, they have informed you within the necessary time limit, and have now agreed to refund you with all moneys less the deposit.
I would agree with madsue.

Unfortunately, saying
banging on about there terms and conditions
doesn't work!

By making the booking you accept those Terms and Conditions. While I have every sympathy with your predicament, tour operators are businesses, operating on frequently very small margins. They therefore lay down specific Terms and Conditions to cover most eventualities.

:D Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your flight changes, we are travelling to benidorm this sat with direct hols, and our flight times have been brought forward by over 6 hours, so I know how frustrating this must be. I know if the flight times are changed over 6 hours they have to let you know, unfortunately I don't know how many hours it would be before they let you cancel, but I'm sure another HT member would be able to advise there.

However, because of the building work going on near to your villa, you can cancel, and would be entitled to your money back without penalty as per reg 12 & 13 of the travel package regualtions. It main be an idea to email them and quote the above. Email address is Customer.relations@direct-holidays.co.uk All the best, and I hope you manage to get this sorted. BBB.
Personally i'd get a letter written by your GP clearly stating your son's difficulties and requirements. Then i'd draught a letter to Direct Holidays and threaten them with legal action.
I think you have a genuine case. You booked the holiday in good faith after ensuring the package met all your requirements.
All holiday's are subject to change, even a few days before travel, but I think your circumstances are slightly different and your requests are totally justified.
A doctors letter should back this up. You deserve all your money back.
Laurence
Thanks Bellyballyboo and Laurence.

I certainly shall be taking your advise. I will recontact Direct Holidays (I have already written to them cancelling my holiday though) and I shall state the reg re building works to them and hope they will give me my money back. I will also contact my son's consultant and see if they will give him a letter about his difficulties.

Thanks again

Much appreciated.
:D Your welcome. I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference that you have already cancelled, I'd tell them that the building work was the last straw, and that you know you are entitled to a full refund. Good Luck, and let us know how you go on.BBB.
I was going to mention what Laurence has said about getting a letter from your doctor explaining your sons condition.

The other alternative would have been to cancel on the grounds of your son not being able to travel at the times (due to his condition), but this would all depend on whether you have declared it to the insurance company.

However, to clarify things completely, why not contact Ros Fernihough, Solicitor, to see if she can offer any free advice - 01922 621114

Kath HT Admin
:) BBB I will keep you informed of all developments

Thanks Kath I will recontact Direct Hols tomorrow and if I get no joy I shall phone Ros. That was very kind of you to give me her number. I am very greatful for all your help :)
Just to update on my situation

I phoned Ros and though I didn't speak to her direct the lady in the office adivsed me to mention the reg 12 and 13 as bellyballyboo advised. I did this but Direct Holidays weren't having any of it and said that the building works weren't that bad and would be finished by the time the holiday started.

I then contacted my local trading standards office who informed me that you could get a full refund without penalty if the operator materially changes the holiday this is usually deemed to be a change of 12 hours in flight but due to my circumstances Direct holidays had made a material change and thus I was due a refund. They passed my case onto Glasgow Trading Standards (being the home authority as this is where Direct Holidays based) who contacted Direct Holidays on my behalf. On Friday I received an e-mail from Glasgow Trading Standards and I am to get a full refund of all money I paid over.

I will however still never use Direct Holidays again as they have been frankly rude and unhelpful there is no doubt in my mind that if Trading Standards hadn't intervened I would never have got a full refund.

Thanks again to all the posters who gave me advise it was very much appreciated.
:D Battery chicken, Well done - getting your deposit back. You deserved it. All the best. BBB.
Hope you manage to sort out another holiday and you and your son have a good time. I think the way you have approached this problem is first class and I think many could learn from this. All who have enlisted the help of Ros and her team are full of praise. Your approach to trading standards should be a lesson to all. They cost you nothing - unless you take into account that we all pay for them in our taxes. I am sure that there does need to be a tightening of regulations with regard to what we are told by the TOs and trading standards involvement can only help to bring this forward. They are in the unique position that they can put forward proposals for changes and politicians will listen to them and act on the advice they give them. I know of other instances where a simple telephone call from them to companies have brought about a sudden change in attitude

fwh
Glad you got a satisfactory result.
Regards Laurence
:D
Well done Battery Chicken. I hope you all get the holiday you want.
Thanks for leting us know the outcome Battery Chicken. :)
Kath HT Admin
Glad you got things sorted out. I have a son with Aspergers and life is difficult enough with these kids without having additional stress.Taking these kids out of their routines can be a nightmare. All credit to you for planning to take him on holiday with you rather than leaving him at home.
The comment about 'life being hard enough without additional stress' is so true. We book our holidays in good faith after lots of thought about how travel times, accomodation, facilities etc. fit in with our families. I have been let down so many times by holiday companies that I am SICK and TIRED of booking anything through them.
I am NOT a serial complainer, but do believe that all the stress and strain of working hard to pay for a holiday should be appreciated by these companies. I've NEVER come across such terrible customer service with any item that i've bought. How many things that we purchase do we have to pay for 2 months in advance of recieving them? Then when a complaint arises we are treated like a criminal that is exagerating occurances to claim compensation, if we get a response from the company at all.
3 times I have had such awful experiences that i've made claims against the companies and luckily I've had proof of my complaints and won each time.
People should not accept the first offer (unless of course it is fair) and shouldn't give up hope when they are fobbed off.

Lisa,x
Question! Has anybody ever invoiced a TO for time and stress due to the manner in which they have handled a claim? - I am at present having a dispute with an insurance company over some documents - They will not accept copies and I am not willing to send them to them for them to copy. I have now informed them that shoudl they want certified copies then I will supply them. I have also quoted them a price - £50.00 Waiting for them to reply. In another case I had a reply yesterday that they are to send me a cheque within the next few days. I asked did they not want some proofs from me. No - You wrote to us and sent us copies we will send you a cheque. I am of the opinion that we should all start to invoice these companies. Draft an invoice on the computer. Send it. Bombard the accounts dept with emails threatening all sorts of dire consequences if the invoice is not paid. If enough of us did it they would soon get the message. I now take the line that my time is valuable. I work on the principle that if they don't know how to do the job and I have to do it for them then I want paying. If you go to court you will be claiming your costs. Get them down on paper now. You can be sure that if you should lose your case then they will ask for costs.

fwh
Fwh. Hope this answer isn't too far :offtop

I share your sentiments about invoicing the TO's but I had an enlightening experience several years ago involving the Financial Ombudsman and a high-street Building Society. Very briefly, they did not credit my wife's account with her salary over a period of 4 months. I manually calculated the interest on a day by day basis - on paper - and it differed considerably with building society's figures.

I wrote to the chairman and having exhausted every route complained to the banking ombudsman. He found in my favour and I was paid the interest due but the ombudsman pointed out that my time and effort cannot be compensated in any way.

This particularly annoyed me as I'm self-employed and the effort took considerable time. At my charge-out rate it was a reasonable amount of money.

So, invoicing a TO for your time and effort could be just a waste of time and you could fall foul of laws governing the unsolicited raising of invoices.

I like you style though, fwh.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.