Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
plug adapters
21 Posts
ok found it 3 pin round im off to maplins
;) We have an 'extension lead' that we take with us :rofl Indian three round pin plug on one end.....and UK socket adapter on the other. The plugs are usually always too far away from a mirror so this serves the purpose really well! :tup
extension sounds a good idea 1 already in case
If you take a laptop - buy a surge protector.
You can get one in Goa for 800Rs.

If you want to buy one in the UK.
Click here.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/mmacbain/Surgeprotector.jpg
Betty, the extension you lead you bought? Did you purchase in Goa? Were they expensive? We tend to take lots of electricals with us (Ipod, speakers, Camera battery charger, phone chargers hair dryers etc!) Last year, we used the normal adapters resulting in a blown phone and a blown Ipod, probably from electrical surges so looking at safer alternatives if possible (this might be down to the hotel though (Silver Sands bungalow) where the plugs just seem to balance precariously in the slots and the slightest bit of wind (from the missus :tup ) would have it tumbling out!!
;) Nope made one up at home before we left! It comes with us everywhere now LOL!
There are loads of electrical shops about that will sell adapters and electrical plugs. The voltage isn't hugely different from the UK. We have a surge protector/extension lead thing that we got from Aldi last year, it has about 4 slots for electrical items and we plug it into the wall using an Indian adapter then use the UK style slots for our electricals.
just got an indian plug from our old hardware store have now fitted it to my surge protected extension with 4 sockets i notice no fuse in plug defo need surge protection leaving tomorrow cant wait
Just incase anyone doesn't want to take their UK extension leads home I could find a home for them at the charity as we have several items with UK plugs on.... :)
Thanks
A surge protector will be on my 1st shopping list when I get there next week. From the above posts it would seem the voltage spikes take out the equipment..i.e. laptop / phone...not only the charger that is directly attached to the mains.
Here's a photo of the surge protector I bought in a shop in Panjim.
It takes the British 3 pin plugs.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/mmacbain/DSC_0003.jpg

If you use adaptors for each item of equipment - get the European adaptors with split pins - you can open up the pins to make them a tighter fit in the Indian sockets.
What kind of plugs do we need for Goa? I seem to read conflicting advice - some places say a two round pin plug (like Europe) and some say a three pin plug (which I assume means like the UK).

Can anyone shed any light on this please?
Haymans, they are 2 round pin plugs. Rather than waste money (as we have in the past) buying travel adapters here you can buy them there for pennies and to be honest they are a better fit.Most little supermarkets sell them, another thing which may be useful is a 4 socket extension lead, handy for hairdryers,charging ipods phones ect...cheers Keith
Agree with KJF on both points. The plugs are nothing like Europe, the holes are bigger so the European plugs don't fit properly. If you take a multi-socket UK extension lead you only need to buy one adapter when you are there, they cost 50 rupees or so.
As per the above, if you are taking a UK extension lead for lots of electricals, make sure you have a surge protected one - We lost a mobile and an Ipod due to electrical surge
Some of the newer properties have 3 pin round plugs, so check what you need before you buy!! :D
I HAVE to have my extension lead! With hair dryer, electric rollers. c.d player and phone charger. What's a girl to do? :rofl :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.