EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Possible Scam
9 Posts
Hi Jo,

I wouldn't be happy with this enquiry. I don't think any man of the cloth would have such an email address, would he?! Re the request to pay by euro cheque, this is a warning letter I had recently from a website I advertise our apartment on which may be of interest to you and others:-

INFORMATION OF CHEQUE-FRAUD:
The scammers are typically following this pattern:

1. Scammer pretends to be interested in a house or apartment
2. Scammer wants to pay by cheque
3. The cheque amounts to a higher value than necessary
4. The scammer asks you for transferring the excess amount to his
bank account
5. THE CHEQUE BOUNCES. THIS IS EVEN STILL POSSIBLE WEEKS AFTER IT HAS
BEEN CREDITED TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT!!!

Other indicators for possible scam:
- Often scammers are using public email providers like @yahoo.com,
@hotmail.com, @myway.com etc.
- Scammer often pretend to be honourable figures (e.g. Referent etc.)
- Scammer often pretend to be interested in a long term rental
- Grammar and syntax are often miserable

Pls. be careful and try to avoid any cheque payments!

Sure enough I received one of these enquiries through that site a short while later, and it was virtually the same as one I'd had a few weeks before and had thought just might be genuine. I had replied saying we were booked for the time he wanted, and had passed him onto someone else thinking I might be doing them a favour!! This was his enquiry:-

Hi,
Am xxxxxxxxxx from Panama City Florida based andwe are hoping to rent your property that we saw the advertover the internet,although we do understand the fact that its will be rental for either monthly or weekly and fromthis two part we will want to book the property if its will be open for 2 months in which we are to start the rental from May 1st and we will be checking out of the property by
June 30th 2006 if the property will be open we will be very glad to have your details on how to book the property and i hope that in the property that we will be able to use p420printer any way we shall hope to see your mail sonner so that we can put more light into this rental to go further and my father is Spanish while my mother is an American.
Thanks Alot

Hope this helps.
It sounds a bit iffy to me too. I

f there's a telephone number you could call it for a chat. If it's unobtainable ignore the email. If someone answers, you could buy time by saying something like you've got an enquiry from a friend for the same date and need to check that first.

Trust your instincts because you will be probably be right.
I would say this is a scam!!!

As mentioned before, money laundering all over it!!!
I have posted this on other sites for information.

Also, have emailed some of the companies I advertise with. When ever I get a scam email, I try to let others know, as I would hate anyone to become a victim of one of these scams.

Jo
Mods, Would it be a good idea to have a sticky topic where people could post any spam enquiries they receive, to warn others?
You need to call for the 419eaters!

http://www.419eater.com/

These fantastic lads scam the scammers or just wind them up a bit. They'd love you to pass this guy's contact details to them so they can do what they do best....
s_c_a_m is censored????
+234 is Nigeria

says it all really...

Give me his full email and I will follow up if you like. I could be your agent :wink:

Ady
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.