Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Croatian food
6 Posts
Fish is a local meal - had some fantastic seafood platas when in croatia last year
Hi Tish Tosh
If you like wine and fish you will think you have died and gone to heaven in Croatia, there is so much choice. You don't say whereabouts you are staying but there are wineries (sp?) on the Peljesac peninsula. There really is a terrific selection of Croatian wine.
On the menu you will find a good selection of fish including octopus and squid. There are also risottos, pasta and pizza. There is also a smaller selection of meat dishes/steaks.
If you look at another topic on this forum 'Cavtat' you will see I have put some prices in reply to a question from someone else. Sorry I cannot remember the price of petrol. There are plenty of ATMs about if you run out of cash!
Have a great time.
Yiamass, Jean
howdy tishtosh

i didn't think much of croatan food although i've heard that their fish/seafood is the way to go. their national noodle dish is like bad tinned spaghetti in tomato sauce. some meat stews are very greasy. however most restaurants do pizzas/pastas that are the equal of anything you get in italy.

drinkwise - croatian beer is seriously good. karlovacko is the best. lasko is what you normally get if you ask for "a beer" and is also good. red wines tend to be better than white. one tip - try and find Jerusalem sparkling wine - it's actually slovenian and is as good as a good champagne for probably 10 euros.

happy holiday
Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately we're not that keen on fish, although I do like shellfish. We both have a tipple of the old vino, so it's good to know that it's drinkable!

We're staying near Opatija/Istrian Penisula if that's any help.
You'll find a big Italian influence . We were in Pula last year year. Pizza very good and cheap, Italian ice cream for the kids 50p and it's great. Lot's of meat and fish and shell fish. Very reasonable prices as well.
Wine is lovely but as the best bottle on the menu is about £10 try that, it is the same as a £40 bottle here. The cheap wine there is virtually undrinkable. Beer again is great, worth trying the more expensive stuff at £1.50 a pint, heaven in a glass.
We ate out every night and lunch as well most days, most we paid was for a 5 star meal ina fish restaurant on the marina and that was £50 for two adults,two kids, two beers a bottle of very nice wine and a tip.
You'll love it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.