Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Can't say i have had a poor meal in a Goan hotel (only ever stopped in one) but with the great choice you have in the resorts i wouldn't eat in the hotel every day.
The only gripe i have about the Magnum is they asked every other day why we dont eat there ''is the food not good sir''.Food was very good but you cant miss out on the restaurants.
Well you see my feelings are the same.

I can't say I ever had a bad hotel meal, it's just that the restaurants seem to be better and often cheaper although there's not a lot in it regarding price.

Often the reason we eat out is simply because it's nice to see a bit more if the town rather than staying within the hotel grounds..

We too get asked why we rarely eat in the hotel and we always say the food is fine, whch it is. We do stop short of saying but the restaurant up the road is better but maybe if the hotels ran their kitchens more on the lines of the restaurants I'd be more willing to eat there regularly, which would make everyone happy - except the restauranteur up the road I suppose.
Hotels only get a small percentage of the booking of a room - the tour operator takes the rest,so the hotel relies on guests eating there every day (and using the hotel facilities).
This is one reason why the hotels dont like the beach shacks,because that is where everyone heads to for the day.
I still can't understand people booking all-inclusive either and then 'nipping' out for the odd night to try a restaurant.
Spike is right regarding the amount of profit for thotels on the accomodation, but I also agree with Fritz about getting out and trying different places.
All of us who have travelled to other holiday destinations are aware of the rules in some hotels about bringing in your own food and drinks (icluding water) because this reduces their profit margins. Happily this does not seem to be a problem in Goa (yet).
We generally eat in the hotel restaurant on the first night while we recover from the flight but from then on we eat out almost every night.
We almost never laze around the pool during the day so therefore the hotel makes almost nothing from us apart from the cost of the room paid by the tour operator.
Even if the hotel restaurants reduced their prices to the cheapest option I doubt that it would encourage people to stay in on an evening.
As far as AI, I relly can't get my head around why this is becoming more prevalent in Goa. In some destinations I can see why people need or want this type of holiday but not in Goa. We have only had one AI holiday (Mexico) and whilst it was OK, there is always a nagging thought that when you do go out on an evening that "I have allready paid once for this meal" (or is this just the Yorkshire Tyke in me ?)
Still everyone to their own choice
del949
Del
maybe some go to AI as they are worried about food hygeine issues outwith the hotel? Everybody has heard of Delhi belly!
you may be right Fiona.
fortunately I have always been OK in Goa, in fact the only person who I have spoken to who has had a bad tummy was staying AI at the Sun Village.
I wonder how many REPEAT visitors return on AI after sampling the delights on their first holiday.
del949
I think Fiona's right - AI is the safe option for first timers who are very uncertain about visiting Goa. If they don't like the place they can stay in the hotel complex.

I reckon there are more food poisoning outbreaks in hotels because they often do buffets - the Sun Village certainly does and there was a food poisoning outbreak there not long ago. Food stood around in high temperatures, even for a small amount of time, is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria. Most restaurants, and especially shacks, cook it and serve it immediately. Food is bought fresh every day, sometimes twice daily so nothing's lying around for any length of time.

Having said that, most hotel food is fine. I actually ate at the Sun Village with my brother who was staying there and it was good. Hotels are good - it's just that the restaurants are better and eating somewhere diferent each night is a big part of the holiday.
The only hotel restaurant we have every eaten at was the marinha dourada and the food is very very nice. Folk we spoke to at the hotel also told us the ronil beach has a nice menu as well. We usually eat at the hotel the first night, just cos you are shattered and might want an early night.
After that there is so many lovely restaurants in Goa why would you want to stay at the hotel every night??
This site is great for listening to folks recommendations for nice restaurants. Ive got a partial list made up early for when we return in November! :P
:hyper gemma have you got chocolatti coffee shop on your list ..
think of the ...cakes ...gateaux.....and ice cream .....yum yum :tup :tup
We stayed at Prazeres resort in Candolim and the food there was really nice, we had the bar manager making us food which he had for his tea, my friend tried loads of things that weren't on the menu!!
It is nice to go and eat out though, seeing abit more of Goa, and sitting on the beach until dark-Can't do it when you get back home so you might aswell make the most of it :)
and alcohol irishcolleen :glynis only joking. Yes I know about Chocolatti cos you told me, is that the place where the :pele comes to tea? Cant wait to try it out yummy :P
yes I have read on h/ts that an.. :pele called laxmi goes and drinks bucket lodes of tea at chocolatti......I know it shuts around 6ish.....but for those of you have been can you have a cool beer or soft drink :?:
chilly.... :glynis one of the members was saying you can get a nice coffee type drink made with honeybee I must suss it out i would like to try that
A nice place to try for you chocolate addicts (reccomended by Lin b - cheers flower !!) is in Candolim and is down the Casablanca beach road called Sweet Heart - nice setting,air c o n,ultra clean and top notch cakes/savouries/smoothies.
Thanks Spike :D its been added to the list of places to go
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.