Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Restaurants
27 Posts
Keeping a low profile all those angry members could cost me a fortune in drinks.

Well, you did ask for it :!:
Sunday Roast's, Steak Pie , not for me I go to Goa to enjoy the local food , thank goodness the British restaurants haven't invaded the south yet .
thank goodness the British restaurants haven't invaded the south yet .

Spot on lassigirl :wink: I don't travel 5000 miles to eat things I can get here every day of the week :wink:
Maybe some people only like "British food" or none spicy food. Some of us are very fortunate that we can enjoy Indian/Goan food, but not everyone is the same. Surely everyone can go and have a great time and eat any kind of food they choose. After all, its your money and up to you what kind of food you spend it on (in North or South Goa as well).
I agree Gemma33 although I like Indian food, and would chose to eat Indian/Goan food whilst in Goa (I do try to experiment as I'm not that good with spicy food), the food, as I'm sure is the same for many others, is not the only thing that attracts me to Goa.

However, I do feel it's a good idea to experiment with food in Goa as not everything is spicy......
Hi eveyone and you liverpool fan,

Yes you will get your drink too,it will be the first one i buy.

As for the food situation i love spicy food but my OH can't eat spices because she has been told by a doctor that she has very little of the stomach linning left due to acid and spice, and Tony bear in mind she does not drink so it is not an alcohol problem which has caused this, unlike it might be if it was you or me!!!. So there are other reasons for people not being able to eat spicy food, but what she misses out on i surely make up for.

Mike
living anywhere long term it`s nice to have a change of menu - and roast beef + all the trimmings sounds just right to me (now and then ) and a good british breakfast - or a big mac - again perhaps not during a two or three week holiday but after a couple of months of "good" goan food and home cooking - whats the harm - keeps you sane afterall!! Am living in japan during the uk summer and its nice to have a "Small mac" for lunch now and then - cheap as chips as well!! Brian.
Well said BAM :D Couldnt agree more!!!
Ok, but I don't live in Goa only holiday there, so I don't want to eat food that I could get at home, it's part of my holiday enjoyment trying something that isn't available at home, and not all the local food is very spicy.
Ask nicely and they'll cook it as mild or as spicy as you want! I've got a mate that can't eat garlic but he eats fine in Goa.
Everyone will have their own opinion on this but, mine, and it seems lassigirl is the same, and I stick by it. As GF said, you can always ask for meals to be toned down and there are various Indian dishes that aren't spiced in any way. Enjoy it the way you want it :wink:
I'm with the last three posts,I dont go all the way to Goa, usually getting there after loads of hassle just to eat "Sunday Roasts" etc. I can get that right here. Surely the food is one of the things you travel for. to experience. It does'nt have to be spicey. I'm not sure where all the prime beef comes from, for all the fillet steaks, I,ve travelled a fair bit round India in my time, and hav'ent seen to many herds of fat beef cattle around. Alan
We all have different tastes and as long as you enjoy what you eat it doesnt matter what it is.
I enjoy trying different things but my husband doesnt. He loves Goa but not the food. He sticks to what he likes. Whats the point of paying for something that you dont enjoy?
I'm not sure where all the prime beef comes from, for all the fillet steaks, I,ve travelled a fair bit round India in my time, and hav'ent seen to many herds of fat beef cattle around. Alan

I have asked the same question myself many times, and have been assured that, there are beef cattle farms in Karnataka, that are able to produce high quality beef.

I personally prefer to eat more fish and shellfish when in Goa, because it is so good and plentiful. :lol:
We saw vacuum packed beef being delivered at the Nizmar which came from Argentina.

Think that the local beef would be a bit stringy and chewy - specially when you see what they eat .......polythene bags etc :lol:
I will try the local foods, but I am afraid that my stomach will not take the spice, we are not in Goa for just a couple of weeks ,this time we will be there for nearly 3 months, so it is either starving myself, eating only fruit, or finding a brilliant restaurant, that serves steak pie, Sunday roasts, and even fish and chips cooked British style. I have found a restaurant that lives up to my expectations, so I am happy.
I have to say that I love trying the local food but, the way I look at it, as long as Sunday roast type restaurants do not totally replace ones where I can eat local dishes, then each to their own :D
Just out of interest, one for the regulars- are English type restaurants just full of Brits, or do Indian holidaymakers try them as well?
I must admit Fiona that I have only seen Brits in these resturants, but I have only seen Europeans in the so called Goan resturants that we also use, I think that it is something to do with the prices, it may seem to be very cheap to us, but we are forgetting, that the price we pay for one meal, is the amount that the indians have, to buy food for a whole week for there families. There are some very good ,true, indian eating houses that cater for for the locals, but I am afraid, that no matter how starving I am, I look for hygene first. I don't mind paying more just to get that.
Got to say as well...our first time in Goa about 10 years ago, beef was very very scarce and not on many menu's anywhere...and the chicken was always very small local Goan produce, a bit browner and straight off the bone...much tastier but nothing like the supermarket-type chicken breasts that seem to have appeared from nowhere.
My first authentic meal on my first night was a proper vinegar-soaked chicken vindaloo at Bob's Inn, delicious. The waiter said that chicken was always a problem because there was no demand out of season, hence nobody bothered to make it a full time business.........they were stuck with getting hold of these straggly free range little goan chickens from small scale suppliers.

I did think last year looking round these packed restaurants that they must be now importing tons of meat from abroad.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.