Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
My luck was last October to have terrible weather for most of the time. A lot of rain and wind although when we got to the Western Med again it was a lot better. Gib. and Valencia weather was lovely. The cruise following mine and the one before had great weather. Just depends if the price is really good and you are prepared to take a chance then go for it.

Never cruised with Thomson.

Sue
We have just done a western med (not same itinerary) cruise over the Easter School holidays.

We DID do it with Thomson (Celebration) and we had a fabulous time.

The weather was far from perfect. But we had no rain and did manage to have coffee on deck every morning in the sunshine. We had one rough afternoon/evening, and we gave our son a Stugeron, and after a lie down he enjoyed a late - ish supper. it did not ruin his cruise, nor ours. We did come back with a reasonable tan, as although there was often a stiff breeze, just walking about in the sunshine did give us a healthy glow.

Now I know this is the opposite end of the season to you, but what I'm trying to get across is that, despite the less than perfect weather, we still enjoyed every minute of the cruise! So much so we have booked to go again in August, different ship and itinerary but still Thomson. Yes .....if the sun had shone permanently and we had had temps of 75 all week it would have been better, but we still spent plenty of time on deck and out and about at the destinations.

My guess is it wont be a cheap week if it covers the shool hols, so if the good weather is so important to you, then give it a miss. If you want good food and entertainment, and the CHANCE of good weather......give it a whirl! Good Luck :cheers
Hi emso
Went on Spirit in Oct 2006 weather superb,Villfrance,Florence,Rome,Sardinia all plus 80 deg
only rained last day in Mahon.
Sea was millpond for the week.We always go early/late when kids at school + weather in Med
usually very good.If you are on the Destiny take fleece because breakfast in Lido can be chilly
early morning.
Johnny C
thanks for the replies i am so tempted to book it . it would be for the 22nd oct for 7 nights. :)
We have holidayed in the Med for most of the past 12 years during Scottish school week (a week earlier than England)in October. We have always had good weather, but one year when we did not go the weather was poor!

Cruised 3 of the years, and we were able to lie on sun deck etc. no problem. Temps would typically be 20-25C or 70-80F

We have friends who were in Med early November a couple of years ago and had cloudless skies for the whole week, temperatures 70ish.

At that time of year there is a risk of poor weather, as Keela1Eva2 has testified, and only you can make that call really!
  • Edited by hamrag 2008-04-25 13:42:51
i must try and decide soon , its driving me insane, i always book mega early and have a couple of options on the go. tempted to this cos its under £1600 for family of 4 school hols,and booking early gets the drinks package included free too. this compares to a week in august in egypt ( which i love ) for £1650 AI or southern turkey oct halfterm AI £1650............
At that price I would grab the cruise with both hands and not let go, especially with the free AI. You will save a fortune on the kids soft driks alone.

You may struggle to find that price for a cruise in school holidays again, but I'm sure you'll find the other options at similar prices in the future.

luci :wave
How about a cruise round the Canaries. The weather will be much hotter.
Agreed but the ports may not be as interesting depends on what the priority is.

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.