Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Gambia Exit Tax
6 Posts
An airport development tax is a bit of a cheek as I believe the airport, which is excellent, was paid for by the USA as they needed an emergency landing space for the Space Shuttle.
Package holidays usually include these sort of taxes in the price .
Package holidays usually include these sort of taxes in the price .

Whether they are or not depends a lot when it has to be paid and who collects it. For example, if the airlines are expected to act as agents for collecting it from passengers then it can easily be included in the fare and be part of the package as is the case with the various levies that are charged by the UK Government. But in Cuba, for example, it's collected direct from each departing passenger by a Government employee after check-in and before moving through security to Departures - you need to produce the receipt fas part fo the procedure for entering the departure lounge. Before paying it you have to produce your boarding pass, passport and, from memory the exit portion of your visa too. Whether travelling to Cuba, whether on a package to independently, I've always had to pay this myself - it's just not possible for a TO to pay it on your behalf unless they have a rep stationed by the booth to handover the money for each passenger travelling with their company.

It wouldn't surprise me if the same process will happen in the Gambia too - that way the Government knows that every passenger really is paying it and the total amount paid is easily checkable at the end of each day against the total of passengers appearing on the airline manifests. I assume that it thus has the attraction of making it harder for the various middlemen to syphon some of it off along the way.
Looks like you were both right. We received a letter from Monarch telling us that, as from November 1st, everyone has to pay 20 euro or equivalent in local currency at the airport as we leave. At least it's a bit cheaper than £'s.
Ok, so we don't have the hassle of applying for VISA's but I dislike the way it has been done without much warning and it's a nasty little surprise at short notice for a family on holiday.
Sadly it has been on my reprinted online ticket since may/june ,operators are always slow to inform customers, it maybe because the authorities were being lobbied against the tax . I dont think it will help their economy ,chill cheers :) :fly
I believe Thomson/First Choice pulled out as a result of this tax. It's a shame they didn't call it a Gambia development tax, one were all the population might benefit (?) and I would happily have given it and more. Much preferable to giving individuals hand outs IMO. Gambia tourism is in decline I was told and that's a shame if true as it has so much to offer.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.