Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
To get to ride a camel in the Sahara, it's a hell of a drive and an absolute minimum 2 days, one night job. You need to be very dedicated to the idea of the camel ride to do this trip, and have a good week plus in Morocco to do the whole thing justice. If you want to do the trip, I'm sure that your riad/hotel can arrange this for you.

Not for the negatives of this post, but more for a flavour of the trip to ride a camel in the desert, see the first post in the following thread
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k4273424-l31516719-The_Negatives_no_one_mentions-Marrakech.html#31516719

If, however, you you can make do with just a camel ride, you can do this early evening out at the Palmeraie (outside the Ville Nouvelle of Marrakech), or have a day trip to Essaouira and do a beach ride.
Thanks for the reply, Phoebe. I knew that it would be an overnight trip - just wondered if it were possible. We are staying for two weeks at the Riu Palmierie. Have been on a beach camel ride before but really wanted to not waste the experience of the Sahara - looks like I will have to settle for the jeep! :cry (I am sure that Lawrence must have used one at some time!). :cheers
Lol! I, too would have loved a camel ride and overnight in a Bedouin tent in the Sahara, but the length of the trip there and back put me off. However, since you've got a whole two weeks, why not enquire with your hotel (might be cheaper than first choice?), and go in a jeep, do the whole thing and ride your camel? Depends how deep your dream goes, I guess!

On another note, if you can do an overnighter to Essaouira (you could do a day-trip either), you might find it a welcome, breezy and relaxing alternative to Marrakech. It has a lovely long sandy beach and a really chilled-out feel, with some great sunsets over the ramparts. It's about a three hour drive I would say (maybe a little less), or a cheap bus trip there and back. Whatever you do, enjoy :)
Thanks for the suggestions, Phoebe. :cheers I assumed that I would have to go by jeep TO the Sahara and then perhaps get a camel ride whilst there. Will definately check out Essaouira - sounds good to me. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.