Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
I've seen on another board somewhere that most will allow the use of a debit card? If this is true then thats great as both me & my wife have Visa debit cards. If, however, these wont be sufficient then i wont be hiring a car as i do not wish to have a credit card at all.
KeefG,

As one suspicious character living in the 20th Century to another..........

We do not use credit cards either and also have Visa Debit cards. This has never stopped us hiring a car whilst in resort but you will struggle getting a pre-booked car. Avis have an interesting Blog on credit/debit cards http://wetryharder.co.uk/?p=253 and it's a bit strange that you can use a Visa Debit in mainland Spain but not in Ibiza ! You will see my specific question in there.

We have hired a car with both Debit Card and cash in Es Cana for the last few years and have used Bravo who have offices throughout the island http://www.autosbravo.es/index.php?lang=en. The cars are in good condition and they are (generally) willing to negotiate. They will not take an online booking without a CC but as long as you have your passport, driving licence and proof of accomodation you will be fine in resort. They will insist that you take out the Excess waiver for cash payments as they do not have a card to charge the excess to.

Hope that helps.

John.
No problem,

Don't think I have ever been turned away with cash when I have turned up in a rental office :) - last year it was happily taken in Ibiza, Rhodes and Cyprus. The fact that merchants are charged about 4% on CC transactions may influence the decision.....

Have a good holiday

John
bk rent a car and hiper car will accept credit cards in the name of your partner even if she isnt a driver, ive done that for the last two years and no one has batted an eyelid, if you book through doyouspain then you dont have to pay a deposit either, just turn up and payon on collection
i rented a car using my visa debit card and hertz didn't take them when i arrived so i left them 150E deposit and they were quite happy with that
Just for information........

I have seen a post on the Avis blog regarding the acceptance of Visa Debit. It says....

Avis Spain no longer accept Visa Debit at all

See http://wetryharder.co.uk/?p=253 for the whole blog.

John
Can anyone recommend a car hire firm, we would love to treat ourselves to a convertible for a few days but search engines arn't coming up with any that seem to have them.
Tracy
I have just reserved car through Expedia, which linked in to Europcar website. Having booked car I have just read the reviews for Europcar worldwide which have not been very good. Has anyone had a car through Europcar from Ibiza airport? If so good or bad? Any points to watch out for? Any comments gratefully received.
Mikefluff

We booked a car through holidayautos and got a Europcar but this was Barcelona not Ibiza.

No problems getting the car and a free upgrade to a nice Passat Estate.

Watch the 'damage report' you get with the car - a few scartches and scrapes missing - got the girl to come out and mark them all down before we left. Also beware of any extras they may try to sell you - check what you have already paid for beforehand.

Hope that helps.

John
We recently reported a shortage of hired cars in parts of Spain and the Algarve, due to rental suppliers being unable to increase fleet stock levels as a result of the current economic climate.

This has since been borne out by members finding it difficult or impossible to rent cars at their holiday destinations.

However, we now know of at least two members who had successfully reserved cars with Auriga Crown in Majorca and Valencia, but have now received emails informing them at very short notice that their bookings have been cancelled due to the non-availability of vehicles. No alternative options were made available to them and it seems the only option may be public transport.

We are not suggesting that any or all bookings with Auriga Crown are at risk but anyone holding reservations with that company, either directly or through a car hire broker, may like to keep an eye on their email inboxes or spam folders for any unexpected or unwanted news.

David :wave
Hi we are going to Cala LLonga in a few weeks, we want to hire a car for a couple of days to see other parts of the Island, can anybody recommend a car hire firm in Cala Llonga and what kind of price we would be looking at?
Thanks Chris ;)
i noticed there was a car shortage on ibiza this year with the prices.....£275 for a saloon thats normally £160 ...haven't been to cala llonga since 2006 but there used to be a car hire firm next door to the sa tanca apts and one slightly further down the hill opposite the funfair...
i have never had a problem renting a car without a credit card..even rented a galaxy from centauro this year...because i always pay for the extra insurance
Does anybody know of a reliable car hire firm in Es Cana or St Eulalia please, preferable with no excess, thank you
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.