Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
We've just got back from Salema and although the days were a hot 30deg the nights were really windy and it was a cooooold wind. Had to go & buy a zip up sweatshirt :yikes
I was in Lagos today and at around 3pm it was 33C and there was virtually no wind. The sand was too hot to walk on in bare feet.

Unfortunately there was a lot of smelly seaweed in the sea and on the beach, but the hordes of Australians weren't put off.
My Sister-in-law phoned from Lagos today, and she says it's about 30 degree's, but still windy.

A perfect washing day I would say!!
i got back today after 12 nights in Lagos, long sleeves for chilly evenings?? :rofl You are having a laugh it was seriously roasting, very hot both day and night. 35+ in the day and never below 25+ at any time at night. i couldnt sleep it was so hot! The two pairs of jeans i took were left unworn, it was definately shorts only at night and too warm in some ss t-shirts!

There was a bit of a stiff breeze on a couple of the nights that gave a relief to the humidity but still very very warm.
Hello Carper, all I can say on this is you have been very lucky. There has been a heat wave in Portugal over the last few weeks when we were in Albufeira in July it was red hot and inland in the Alentejo is was up to 50 Deg's, we had a day out to Lagos and felt it was hotter than we were there the other year when I first posted this review. Better to have had jean's and woolie than gone with out, and been cold if it had been windy and cold. :que

Dave.
D'ya know I'd have loved those warm nights (only if I had air cond mind) as in June, all my lovely new thin tops had to be accompanied by my 1 white hoody sweatshirt :rofl

Glad to hear you had lovely weather though :sun2
Hello,
back in 2008 I started this link and later on I reported that I would perhaps not go back to this resort, well this year we did and I have to say that that after the first night when we sat out and had a lovely meal at the ( a Adega Velha ) the night was so warm and thoughts of more nights like this. Well how wrong we were, we had been told the week before we got there the temperature had been in the 30s and warm at night, but it was not to be for us, even the days were windy and I have to say that the nights were cold to the point that you needed a coat just to walk down the street.
Some brave people did sit out and have meals but it must have been cold as soon as it came, again I have to say that we did have a great holiday had some super food, went to Alvor one day on the bus and had Sardines by the sea and they really nice, went to Silves on the train again and had a good look round before having a Chicken meal by the river.
We stayed at the Tivoli Lagos, only went in Luis bar once as it is now a smoking pub, but did go next door and did a few Karaoke's and they have some good singers on so this was our main place at night with the cold wind blowing, went over the Marina one night and had a happy hour beer but have to say that there was only one set of toilets open and the one that was open did pong a bit so never went back there again.
So if its Portugal next summer I think it will Tavira again as it is so much warmer.
Dave.
Luis' Bar has always- from day one of the new smoking restrictions- been a 'smoking' bar with the requisite extraction system in place and there was only ever one set of toilets open to the general public on the marina, the other one being accessible only to keyholders -boat owners, marina staff (unless you happen to know a friendly member of staff who'll lend you his/her key. ;) )
There are now however toilet facilities in the bar above the Amuras.

Edit: Correction - there is another facility at the far end of the Marina ( Pingo Doce end ) close to Cais J.
  • Edited by Sagres 2011-07-20 11:52:11
We are going to Lagos in August. So do you think it will be cool at night. Do we need to take a cardi for the children? I can put up with being a bit cool but I don't want the girls moaning they are cold ;)
After the daytime heat, you'll probably find the night-time breeze refreshing. However, should the breeze strengthen into a wind off the ocean, sleeves could be useful. In September I normally find that a long-sleeved shirt does the job - sleeves rolled up but with the option of rolling them down to cover the arms if neccessary.
Thanks, I will take something for them just in case.
I'll be there in August too.
Staying at my Sister-in-law's apartment opposite Luis's bar.
We've been many times before, but never in August. Hope it's not TOO hot. :wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.