Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
That's great, cheers!

I didn't manage to find the shops, but came across places to eat and drink, and quite happy that we can have a bit of breakfast at Wetherspoons before we board.

Thanks again :)
;) Yummymummy - a better idea is to buy shampoo 'bars' from Lush which you can THEN put into your suitcase as they are BLOCKS. You can also get the Jungle bar which is conditioner OR their Godiva bar which is shampoo & conditioner. We used them this year when backpacking nearly 3 weeks Greece (just to keep the weight down)..and still using them now we're at home as they're REALLY good! https://phoenix.lush.co.uk/category/148

Shower gel - ;) Waitrose bar of Glycerine soap lathers up really well and no need for shower gel.

Not long back from 4 days in Valencia from Stansted Airport and took the bars with us no problem.

Currently trialing the Lush deoderant bar (Aromaco PLUS alumunium free ;) ) - so far so good - so that'll do away with yet ANOTHER item, ie roll on deoderant, that would normally have to be put into the small plastic bag.
Oh thanks for that Betty Boop, will be paying Lush a visit very soon :)
How long are you going for,yummy mummy? Tesco,Asda,Sainsbury and most chemists do travel size toiletries,these are acceptable in a small see through bag ,available just before security at Stansted.You can put 10 items in each bag,I use part of hubby's allowance too.
I'm going for just 1 week, well 8 nights if you count the night in the hotel before we depart. I actually thought about using the mini bottles earlier this year, but they work out quite expensive as i've got long hair. :)
You'll find the lush products really good value Yummy- you can also purchase small tins to put them in afterwards or just use one of those zip plastic freezer bags. One bar of shampoo did both me and O.H for duration of Greek holiday and that was both showering and washing hair twice a day.
That does sound like very good value :) I will have a look today whilst i;ve got time. Do they usually have any testers?
Might give them ago myself Pam . I'm thinking they have got to be better weight wise for 7/14 days . With 5/6 of us in 3 rooms our cases are normally groaning under the weight with about 10 bottles of shower gel/shampoo and conditioner .
That's what we found Lyn and it was great this year. Our clothes weigh hardly anything and it's toiletries thar weighed most. As we were island hopping I thought time to cut down. I took two seanik shampoos - one jungle conditioner and two bars ( they're small) of the waitrose glycerine soap ( yellow one not the green). Using twice a day each would have easily only needed one seanik shampoo but cleaner in one apartment threw small piece away lol so had to start on the other shampoo. We were away about 19 days. Lush do bars of shower soap too but quite happy with the waitrose one. Popped them into their tins or plastic bags when on the move. The deodorant is also working fine - been using since Thursday now. I think when this block used up I'll get the block for men (assistant in shop says her builder boyfriend uses that one and loves it) and get O.H. to try it - that'll be another thing we won't gave to take lol.
We land at Stansted airport at 09:55 and are looking at getting on the 11:30 train from Stansted airport at the end of this month on our return home.

I would have booked a later train, but looking on the train website there is a massive difference in price between getting the 11:30 train (15pounds per person), compared to later trains at around 100pounds for 2 people.

We will only have hand luggage.

Will 1.5 hours be sufficient to get off the plane, get through the checks and out of the airport onto the train station platform?

thanks
I would have thought so, however there are two things you can't allow for ...

1. the late arrival of your aircraft for what ever reason

2. a massive influx of arrivals at the same time which can cause border control to stack up considerably.

Apart from these two which are totally beyond your control, head straight out of Immigration towards the daylight and main doors of the terminal and go to the far left door which will lead you down to the station - two levels OR turn right after WHSmith and look for a lift on your left hand side which will take you to the train station - two levels down.

Is it possible to get a later train simply by paying a supplement or the difference between the two ticket prices ... or do you have to buy a whole new ticket?

Good luck ... and put on your comfy walking shoes as there can be quite some distance to walk between the incoming gate and border control depending on which part of the airport your flight comes into!
I was annoyed that the automatic passport terminals were out of order recently. There was a large queue at the manual section.
The "free" cash machine wasn't working either.
I had trouble with my pre payed parking ticket also.
For a newish airport it just aint good enough.
The automatic passports have never worked any time I have gone through and I fly at least 3 times a year from Stansted.
Thank you A :cheers

We have decided to get the national express coach at 11:40am, so hopefully the 1.45 hourS will be enough time for us.
Baggage handlers threaten Easter holiday chaos

Baggage handlers are threatening to disrupt thousands of family holidays by going out on strike over the Easter weekend after management announced changes to their shift patterns.

The GMB union is balloting 150 members who are employed by Swissport as baggage handlers at Stansted Airport to see if they are prepared to walk out over the changes.

The result of the ballot will be announced on March 29 and if members vote for industrial action the union says this could result in disruption over the Easter weekend.

GMB says the changes imposed by Swissport to shift patterns will cost each of its members up to £1,000 a year. The changes will also require baggage handlers to travel to work an additional 13 times a year, leading to increased transport and childcare costs, it says.

GMB organiser Gary Pearce said: "The GMB shop stewards have been meeting with Swissport since January. GMB has offered several alternative shift patterns and working arrangements but the company refuses to listen.

"The company is intent on imposing these changes without agreement and this is completely unacceptable."

Swissport handles 11 airlines at Stansted, including Monarch, Ryanair and Thomson Airways.
"Swissport claim they have lost work on the Ryanair contact at the airport. GMB baggage handlers have seen no evidence of this," added Pearce.

"Swissport also claim that they are losing money on the contract. GMB has asked to see the evidence to confirm this but Swissport have refused to comply, leading members to question if what they are being told is true."

TravelMole is waiting for a comment from Swissport.

With permission from Travelmole
Talks to avert Easter Stansted strike move closer

The union threatening strikes at Stansted Airport over Easter has agreed to peace talks with arbitration service ACAS.

GMB members had voted in favour of walkouts on Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday in a row with employers Swissport over pay - claiming cuts of up to £1,000 a year because of shift changes.

Employers Swissport said proposed work shift changes for the ground staff were being made to avoid job losses as revenues had fallen.

GMB official Gary Pearce said the union had offered several alternative shift patterns and working arrangements.

He said: "Our members consider that Swissport is attempting to make savings at their expense and they are not willing to agree to this. Unless there is urgent talks and a settlement, this vote for action will result in disruption over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend."

UPDATE: The strikes are now reportedly called off:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-17601134
Stansted strikes planned for Jubilee bank holiday

Baggage handlers at Stansted airport have announced more strikes over shift changes which are due to run over the Jubilee bank holiday.

Unite and GMB workers have announced industrial action starting with 24-hours from 5.30am tomorrow which will mostly affect Ryanair who uses employer Swissport for its baggage handling.

Thomas Cook, Thomson and some other carriers may also see disruption but easyJet, which uses other baggage handlers, will be unaffected.

The action will continue with a 48-hour strike at the weekend and then a four-day strike from 2-6 June, unless an agreement is reached.

Workers are upset over pay - claiming cuts of up to £1,000 a year because of shift changes at the airport.

Ryanair has hit back saying it will operate a full schedule of flights to/from Stansted airport during this period.

Ryanair's Stephen McNamara said: "Ryanair will not allow these unions to blackmail or disrupt our passengers. If this threatened industrial action goes ahead we will ask passengers to check-in online and travel with carry-on luggage only."

Unite and GMB members threatened strikes over the Easter weekend but they were called off at the last minute when unions and Swissport entered peace talks with ACAS, see previous story.

Gary Pearce, regional organiser for GMB union say the workers want to find a compromise but are very angry over unpopular shift changes which they claim save no money.

He said: "We've had a couple of meetings where proposals have been put on the table and then withdrawn.

"The members are looking for something back for losing this money. We're trying to get Swissport to talk and have put them on notice of the action."

yummymummy wrote:
We land at Stansted airport at 09:55 and are looking at getting on the 11:30 train from Stansted airport at the end of this month on our return home.

I would have booked a later train, but looking on the train website there is a massive difference in price between getting the 11:30 train (15pounds per person), compared to later trains at around 100pounds for 2 people.

We will only have hand luggage.

Will 1.5 hours be sufficient to get off the plane, get through the checks and out of the airport onto the train station platform?

thanks

If for any reason your flight is delayed, and you miss your 11:30 train, you should still be able to use that ticket, and this has happened to my self, but best you check with them first

Landed at manchester 1 hr later, time I got through security, and picked my case up, my train had gone, on checking with ticket inspector, I was told I could use my ticket on the next train, and if questioned on the train by ticket inspectors, was told to show them my boarding card and explain the airplane had beeen delayed
Has anyone any info on baggage handlers strike am travelling Monday and heard rumours that no luggage can be checked in you can only take hand luggage
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.