DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
Jessie

Go for it online, especially if it's a few hundred pounds cheaper.

Providing you do your research before booking, i.e. check the hotel for reports, check the resort, and if you are booking with a well-known high street chain, you should be ok.

However, if the online price is with a major high street chain, why not print off a copy and take it to the high street chain in person, to see if they will match it, you have nothing to loose.

Driver02
Before booking a holiday this year we checked prices on-line and got a good deal. Did exactly what Driver02 suggests and printed a copy of the final price. Went to the travel agent and they beat the on-line price by £50. Same company, same holiday.
Worth a try.

Andy.
Hi

I must agree with the last note .. we use the internet to resurch prices/hotels/resorts etc it's a good tool....but in most cases you will find that independant travel agents are willing to split their commision for a sale and therefore usualy can beat on line prices. also on line price dos'n usualy inc transfers fule surcharges and other extras..

brian
i always thought that the onternet was the cheapest way to book, but after speaking to friends who are coming out to viit me in turkey this year, i doscovered the best deals came from the travel agents. I think they are competing with online sites and lowering prices.
Hiya,

Yes I done the Same, Eclipse website was showing £1849 fo Bulgaria, went to Lunn Poly and they done exactly the same booking for me for £1790.00.
Just ask the TA to undercut and most of the time they can.

L
just out of interest, what has this to do with diy?
booking on the internet with a tour op is hardly diy. :lol:
now when you book your own flights/accommodation/transfers. now thats diy
I always check prices on the internet and travel agents - whatever your preference for booking u can play one against the other (as eveybody wants your money!) to get the best price.
people often bring printouts to us and we have been able to beat quotes.
also we diy for clients, well tailormake by finding flight only through various airlines, accommodation only , and then car hire! particulary for florida. we dont just sell packages, well also price booking all seperate if each cheaper for clients.
I think the travel agents are now being more aware of people booking on the internet and are now cutting the price of their holidays , saying that i booked my holiday direct with portland last week and saved 210 pounds on what the travel agents wanted for my holiday, plus even though it was the same hotel flight etc with thomson they wanted 100 more and i saved forty pound on line as well, so i'm happy you have to research all options to get the best deal
Rosie
I never use travel agents now, book all my holidays on the net and I have never paid over 300 pounds for a holiday, although we are not tied to school holidays, the girls at work have even got me looking for their holidays as well. As long as you do your research, you should be fine.
We have just booked a 4 day break in Palma D I Y. It cost £330 for 2. At the travel agent staying at the same hotel would have cost £305 each. The only difference we have to find our own way from the airport to the hotel.
For us as a family of 5 (2 adults 3 children) if booking via a tour operator we get absolutely hammered on under occupancy - roughly a 2 bed apartment for the 5 of us for 2 weeks would cost £2500.

We have booked our first DIY holiday to Majorca - £892 flights, £450 apartment, £130 taxi transfer there and back, £36 Esure Travel Insurance policy = £1508 so we've saved roughly a grand by going it alone!

Got to be worth a go in my opinion. We know the resort inside out and backside first (Cala Millor/Cala Bona), know where to eat and where to avoid, where the non-tourist supermarkets are (therefore cheaper) so not much can go wrong there.
Thats a great saving tis, the only problem i have seen is the transfers when looking at diy for us as there is only 2 of us, but have been looking at certain places and there seems to be firms that now do airport transfers cheaper depending on where you go but if you save a lot of money its still a better deal, not done it this year but after what everyone has said will certainly do it in the future
Rosie
We are going to Majorca in October. 55 pounds each for Easy Jet flights and staying at the Eden Lago Apartments, all reviews were good for 140 pounds for the apartment for the week, booked through wintersunshine holidays. The total cost of the holiday for the two of us 250 quid. I know we have to pay transfers on top, but still worked out a lot cheaper doing it ourselves.
For me much of the enjoyment is doing the research on the internet for the best prices, locations, accommodation etc. My partner reckons I could go into business as an independent travel agent !!!

This year I have booked an apartment in Cap Salou with universalholidaycentre.com by the beach for us (2 adults and 4 kids/teenagers) and got the flights with Easyjet from Luton. Next step is to book the return taxi service from Reus to the apartment (cheapest deal £87 so far), and organise the parking at Luton (cheapest £18 for the week).

I'm addicted !
Loobs,

Where do you park for 18 pounds at Luton, we usually use the parking at Slip End off the airport, which costs more than 18 pounds.
Sorry, got carried away there ! I think its the one at Slip End, and the quote is coming back as £19.60 for 8 days for 6 of us in June 2005
We booked last year for Benidorm for 4 adults 2 bed apartment separate flights and transfers. Did all the research int the company we booked with. Same holiday same apartments, same date with Direct Holidays was £400 dearer. We partied with the savings. :glynis
That is your site !! We have our own diy tips at the top of the page. :evil:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.