Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Astounded to read the review by 'Bigstu' referring to the Cineasta Caffe ! I stayed at the Auramar for 42 nights 5th Jan/ 16th Feb this year, I visited this cafe most days for drinks and numerous meals, I found the food to be excellent and the friendliness of all the staff second to none, and if I requested anything that was not on the menu, they obtained whatever that was for my next visit, they could not have been more helpful. I have been to the Algarve on 36 occasions, I am looking forward to my 37th trip, one of my first places to visit will be the Cineasta, indeed the staff there, Victor, Gabriella, Alex & Alex, Fernanda & Eliane treated me like a best friend and I will be joyous at meeting them all again !
I have read all the reviews regarding bars and restaurants in the Albufeira area of the Algarve, the majority of the restaurants are 1st class, occasionally I have had reason to be disappointed, but have made a second visit and been pleased that I gave them a further chance.
It is impossible to please all of the people all of the time, just go to the Algarve and enjoy your holiday, it's a great place and the locals are the friendliest of people !
Hello, I was sad to hear that one of the best restaurants, for me that is, has sold up and gone the way of a all day breakfast, fish and chips and Sunday Roast sort of a place. Now there is nothing wrong with this sort of food I have it all the time, and there are lots of people who go on holiday each year and will eat nothing other than English food.
It must be the way things go now days, bars come and go, come back and then are gone again, but when you find a nice place to eat on holiday it is always nice to go back to the one's you know and like. The restaurant I am on about is O Tunnel in Albufeira on the left hand stair way next to the tunnel on the Rua 5th of Outubro, so we will miss this place this year when we get to Albufeira it was here that me and Mrs Holidaymaker shared our first Chichen Cataplana and many nice other Portuguese meals, a sad lose.

Dave.
I remember that place too.. yes a great shame it has closed,and an even bigger shame people dont eat enough local food when on holiday

wiz
Hello, here's a place I would like to tell you about. It calls it self a Pastelaria that are for the most part cake shops, but we have been going to this place when we are in Tavira, it gets very busy with local and tourists all down to I think Leonardo who run the outside tables Momma does the cooking .
They do light meals as well as cakes, cold beer and nice wine for a very good prices.
It is the sort of place you can just sit back and enjoy the nice Square it is set in (Bishops Square) with all its comings and goings, so if you are in Tavira look out for Pastelaria Alagoa
Can any one tell me about a restaurant called Adega do David? it is near Floyds Bar in Albufeira round the back of the town hall. My give it a go as it has the same name as me.
Cheers,
Dave.
Can't tell you about Adega do David, Dave, but I can tell you that Perry has now sold/left Floyds Bar. He now runs a quiz at a nearby establishment called One 4 The Road.
Thanks for the reply's still not sure about the food but may well give it a try as it looks to be in a local area and perhaps not to touristy. Not been up round that area and we are always looking for new restaurants to try.
Thanks again,
Dave, or should that be. Do David?
Hello, well with just under 7 weeks to go before we get to Albufeira, I would like to share my restaurant list with you.

There are 18 restaurants we will only be there for 14 nights so we will not get to them all plus we may use some of them twice so your help is needed
Some of them are new ones we have not yet been to, and some are old fav's, if anybody knows any of these restaurants and thinks we should give them a miss please let me know as it has been 3 years since we were last in Albufeira.

Museu dos Salgados. A Casa do Chefe. Os Arcos. II Caoouccino. Bom Capito. Tequila Bistro. Restaurante O Veleiro. O Zuca. The Beach Basket. O Catraio. Churrasqueira Gracinder Pragosa. II Brigante. Restaurant Caravela. Restaurant/Bar Louisiana. The Three Crowns. Restaurante O Manjar. RestaurantePizzaria Expresso,

Plus a few bars not yet been in. Bar Portas Vila. Ruins Bar and Fat Cats Bar.

Any input on any of these Restaurants or Bars would be welcome.
Dave.
If you want good value tourist menu try Os Compadres, situated on the top half of the strip, (Montechoro Hotel side) on the small square at the side of the 60's Bar, first restaurant on the left. 8 euros for a 4 course meal, bread butter, soup of the day,main courses choice of 9 meat dishes, 5 fish dishes, 2 ommelette options, choice of dessert, coffee & either half a litre of house wine each/ small beer/soft drink or water. Excellent value and big potions, well recommended. Give it a try. Closed on Sundays
Realholidaymaker: Fat Cats is excellent, great family friendly bar with excellent food (british) they have entertainment most nights of the week ranging from Karaoke, Quiz nights, games nights, Killer pool, Parrot show for the kiddies, and sometimes a live act.
Hello jayjan, thanks for your reply.
I will give Fat Cats a try as I like a Quiz and a Karaoke, as for Os Compadres bit of a no no for us not the place itself but the strip. I feel I am a bit to old for the strip now days, we used to go there I remember singing Ferry cross the Mersey in the 60s Bar some years ago and I have to say it went down well.
We also used to go to the Ancora Bar and in those day it had a restaurant, I think it is Bella Napoli now but we used to go there for a nice meal and then in bar to watch those two woman singers who last time we were in Albufeira they were on in the old town, any way the reason we don't go up to the strip any more is last time I was there a drunk bloke from Coconuts Disco Bar stopped me, and in a drunken slur with his face right in front of me tried to get me into his bar, well that put me right off the strip and as near as we get to it is when we go to Restaurant Caravela, so that's why on my Restaurant list Os Compadres is not on it.
Dave.
Realholidaymaker, Os Compadres is at the very top end of the strip near Montechoro Hotel, very quiet compared to rest of it. You should give it a try, its excellent.
Re ll Cappuchinno restaurant, lots of good reviews on this place at tripadvisor, tourist menu for €7.50, but we have had two bad meals in same week at this place and can't understand why folks rave about it, maybe we just hit unlucky or picked the wrong meals but am sceptical about giving it another try. BTW its near the Library right of the worms roundabout if you want to try it. Get to worms roundabout, at Pingo Doce, turning left or right depending on which direction you are coming from go straight over the roundabout till you get to next little roundabout, turn right and follow road round passed the Bibloteca (library on your left), the restaurant is higher up on your right,not obvious its a restaurant so keep your eyes peeled.
I was wondering if there were any good bars, specifically British, in Alvor...
Off to Albufeira for the 1st time on Sat ....yippee! Am a bit of a pizza freak.....where's the best place for the best thin & crispy in the town?!
Well went to the Atrum restaurant last night what a waste of time. Walked past this place loads of time over the years and should have this time. They do Fado shows some nights and last night was one, the singer does two songs then has a break. The food came that fast it was not cooked, we had a Cataplana and have to say I will never go there again, the spuds were hard as we're the Peppers and the sauce was so weak it was near water and so bland. When the waiter asked if we had enjoyed it, he did not like it when I told him we did not.
Here is my new restaurant report for Tavira on the Algarve, We kept to the one's we know and like so I may have put them up before.
We had good meals in each one, we tended to have soup or just the bread paste and olives for a starter, but if they had sweet rice (arros dose) on the menu we had that instead.
All meals were with wine and water.
Churrassqueira O Manel, we had a really nice lamb cataplana for two.
Casarao Restaurante (Do Xico) both had Sirloin Steak very nice.
Petisqueria Belmar, both had Sea bass.
Restaurante Avenida , wife, Hake Fillets me Pork and Clams.
Cantinho do Emigrante, wife Chicken me Pork Ribs with Piri Piri.
Brisa do Rio, wife Salt Cod me Steak Portugese.
Casa Simao wife Lamb Chops me Black Pork Chops.
I also went in the Black Anchor, Saturday night and did a few songs on the Karaoke and went in some night as they had a singer on, also went in the Tavira Lounge for a sun downer this café/bar is also by the river, and also spent some time in Bishops Square in the café Arogoa.
You can get local beer (super bock in a bottle for a euro and a pint for 2, glass of wine in some places for 1.50 euros and the most we spent on a meal was 35 euros this was for both of us.
Hope someone finds this a help.
Dave.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.