Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
to start the ball rolling my favorite in Albrfura was the Cave Do Vinho Do Porto in Rua da Liberdade local and some international dishes live music
(on our last visit solo artist playing a mixture of light jazz/blues & folk)

wizard
The Royal Orchid Thai restaurant is excellent and the surroundings are lovely. It is situated in the old town, at the top of the steps to the left of the tunnel. You wont be disappointed, well recommended by lots of people. Cheers Jayjan
Its the Museu de Salgados for me folks. Its on the main road leaving Albufeira heading west so need a taxi or car. Its just after the Xroads with traffic lights where you would turn off for Guia (Cabanitas is here?).

Restaurant with a small bar attached and outdoor seating. Traditional decor. Portuguese, European and fish dishes mainly, all excellent. Flambe desserts, good service. Reasonably priced, busy so may need to book?

Try it, we loved it.

Lummie
There is a new restaurant opened just off Estrada Santa Eulalia, the same street as the post office at the bottom crossroads off the strip but at the other end ( Rua Alexandra Herculano.) The name is Monsoon its an Indi/Thai restaurant, its has taken the place of the Taj Palace which was the Indian.My hubby as eaten here while in Portugal this week and said it is ok.I am hoping to test it out at the end of this month when i fly out & will give you my personal comments. Cheers Jayjan
Restaurante A Grelha was an excellent place in Rua do Alentejo in Armacoa De Pera.
The service was excellent and staff friendly, we even recieved a christmas card from them which was a nice thought.
i will be going back there this year for sure.

john
2 Restaurants I would like to recommend are A Cantina in Olhos d Agua and Golfinos in the same village. Both a little more upmarket, but you often get what you pay for. Both run by Portuguese. Typically around 60 euros for a 2 course meal with wine, for 2 people. The steaks are good in A Cantina. They are well known for their steak on a stone.
Golfinos tend to be good for lamb and steak. We recently had steak in oil and garlic. This was a full fillet[Chateaubriand] for 2 people and was delicious. Cost was 28 euros for this course, but it fed 2 and could have fed 3. :)
  • Edited by Mad Mick 2006-04-08 16:20:48
Acores Bar, LAGOS - two holidays for the price of one !!

This is a great little bar just off Rua 25 Abril and opposite Stevie Ray's Jazz & Blues bar. It's run by a couple from the Azores Islands ( hence the name ) and you'll get a great welcome here; Fatima, the owner, spent some time in the U.S.A. and speaks excellent English;the bar does basic snacks - burgers, toasties etc and " nibbles " ( popcorn, nuts, olives etc ) are provided free of charge.
If you ask, they'll put on videos of their home island which they're very proud of and love to show off - so you get two holidays for the price of one !!
Rogerio, Fatima's husband, is in charge of the music and will play whatever type you're into but, after midnight the heavy rock tends to predominate.
There's a huge selection of spirits on the shelves and the beer's good as well - it's Sagres.
Have to recommend "Mary Anns" restaurant and bar, on the The Strip in Albufeira just pas the post office in the side road, its typically English run by English couple, never had a bad meal in 15 years going, great for couples with kids because they are catered for.
Re
The Netto - Quality food for a very small prcie really. It is located on the row of shops just below the Oura Praia, as if you were walking from Oura Praia to Clube praia d'oura.

A Charma -
AKA Typically Portuguese. This place is hidden very well!! It is located at the very bottom of the strip (Praia d'oura end) in a little road opposite the gif shops juts by the mini roundabout. Will post pictures when i return from there in 2 weeks.
A general tip here - when you are waiting for your flight at faro, don't get your last beer/coffee at any of the outlets on the ground floor of the airport. Go back to the arrivals end, up the escalator, and use the cafe up there - it's a lot cheaper. :wink:
We used "The Steps bar" alot last week, friendly in there with music every night, its near the tunnel in the old town, up the steps, the music is a mixture, he plays guitar and sings to, a irish fella called johnny, plays music from all generations, quite alot of 60's though, plays a few greenday etc to, worth going in there, the drinks arent to expensive to
Lagos - Stevie Rays Jazz Bar. Relaxed and friendly bar - they do live Jazz at the weekends.

Sao Bras de Alportel - for those of you who may be staying away from the coast try Luis dos Frangos or "Chicken Georges" as its also known. Canteen style Piri-Piri restaurant. Cheap and very very popular. I have queued with tourists, ex-pats and locals to get in here before its opened in the evening. Closed in September as its family run.
re
Albufeira
In addition-
Matts bar
What a place, great night life - A MUST!

Also, thanks for the Mary Annes recommendation, paid €1 for a pint! :D
edit to remove bold
Must recommend Annas in the old town! What lovely food, i had rack of ribs and my partner had duck with orange sauce, it was delicious!

O Manjar is another recommendation, mostly portuguese people go here, very chep, amazing food, just up from alibaba chinese

Please give them a try, if you like to try traditional food and not just english nonsense then give it a go!!!
I agree, O Manjar and Annas are both great restaurants.

We also go to Alfredo's, which is on Rua do Telecommunicaos, just behind the Town Hall, about five minutes from Cerro Alagoa and Brisa Sol hotels. Great for fish. For steaks we go to Fabio's, which is on Rua Fernao de Magalhaes in the Cerro Branco area. Also behind the Town Hall, turn right just befor you get to Alfredos.

Next to Fabios is Doce Diner if you fancy a bit of well cooked British fare in a really nice restaurant - no smoking inside, but you can light up on the terrace.

For chinese, we go to Chinese Fu, which is directly behind the town hall, and for Indian, The Minhar, which is just off Music Street, close to Fishersmans Beach in the Old Town, or India Nights, which is just past the western side of the main square, Just off Rua 5 Octobre.

All good value and serve great food.
"Van Gogh" restaurant between Vilamoura and Albufeira. Set in the hills with a lovely view. Food was fab. It's not the cheapest place to eat, but it is definately worth it. So much so that my husband is taking me there for my 30th birthday in Sept, so we'll have to get a taxi from Carvoeiro to/from. Can't wait :wink:
We,ve just come back from Castelo and have eaten in some really nice places.
O Por do Sol was fab and so was the Quo Vadis, but I have to mention the Curry Club next to quo vadis. It was one of the best curries I have ever eaten!!
Hope this helps anyone else thinking of going to the area
Tina
Loved A Cantina in Olhos D'agua near Albufeira! We took a group of seven VIP's from our U.S. group in Tivoli Marinotel and we had a blast. The manager and two waiters were extremely friendly, funny and helpful! They made it a great experience for us. At first we weren't sure if this was a good idea, but we really need a break after five straight nights of fish. The cut of beef for the steak on a stone was superb. Huge meal for the price. We capped it off with some 20-year Osborne's porto. Highly recommend.
If you like chinese food can recommend the chinese by the taxi rank in Alvor .also Chef carlos restaurant in Praia do Vau mostly portugese who go there so that is a definate recommendation.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.