Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
It will certainly be 'COLD-itz' when you visit ... having visited Leipzig in February a few years ago so do bring warm clothes and comfy shoes.

Leipzig is an interesting city to visit .... I don't think there will be much left of the 'East German housing' ... we took a tram trip to the 'end of the line' to see what it used to be like ... quite an eyeopener.

I would recommend the Thomaskirche, the Nicolaikirche (both breathtaking, but not like what you would expect a traditional Cathedral to look like inside), the Bach Museum and also the Stasi Museum (if it still exists) - very chilling and will make you question what might have gone on on the Allies side (and perhaps even today) that we wouldn't even have thought about.

There's good shopping, we ate and drank well, and felt that we were certainly 'abroad'. So I'd recommend Leipzig as a possible starting point for your visit. But, the cold is BITING ... thinking of my ears, my feet inside my boots and also those nooks and crannies .... the top of your boots, anywhere between your scarf and the collar of your coat, and between the wrists of your coat and sleeves. HOWEVER, hot wine, hot chocolate and the odd snifter of strong Schnapps do help!!!

http://wikitravel.org/en/Leipzig may be useful!
Thanks Alsa. must confess we are now leaning back to Dresden as Dave has said he would be happy to hire a car. Really don't want to get this one wrong and don't want to stay somewhere that might not be our thing just for the sake of 1 day at colditz . We need enough to enjoy for the other days too.

Something is telling me that Leipzig is maybe not our thing although I could very easily be wrong. We are taking the lads who are very much into their War history. We realise Dresden was totally flattened and rebuilt but there seems to be more options in and around for spending 3 or 4 days exploring. We like castles, fortresses ( Königstein Fortress and bastei bridge looks good) compact and historic in general, and medieval architecture rather than large modern citles. Not really interested in music or Art but more than happy to wrap up, walk and explore. The cold shouldn't bother us too much so I will try not to think about that too much...

Any help you can throw my way is very much appreciated

lyn
If hiring a car in Germany make sure it has winter/all weather tyres as Germany has special laws that require these if the temperature is below 7 °C between the end of October and the beginning of April and check your screen wash and antifreeze regularly. A windscreen scraper in your baggage might be a welcome addition to your possessions, especially if your hotel doesn't have an enclosed garage!

If in Dresden, do try to get a side trip to the Meissen porcelaine factory if it's open!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.