Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Passport
9 Posts
180days from the date of your return.
I think you will find this information is wrong?

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/businessvisa_CheckList.html

The requirement is that your passport is valid for the duration of your visa/ visit.

i.e. if you apply for a visa in January 2014, and your passport expires in August 2014........ no problem.

If it expires in June 2014, no good, even if your visit (s) are all over by then.

After 6 months visa, you would be illegal in the country anyway. (unless you had a 12 month and had left and returned)

If you think about it logically, why would any country (even India) require you to have a visa valid for half a year after you left the place?
Well actually lots of countries do, and in fact you'd be daft not to make sure that your passport was not going to expire shortly after your planned return date. Things happen, and you could end up not being able to return home when you planned to and have to stay for longer. If your passport expires while you are out of the country then you can have difficulty getting entry back into your country of origin. Also, given that you can renew a UK passport up to 9 months before expiry and that time is then added to your new passport you might as well renew it ahead of schedule.

The FCO advice to holders of British passports travelling to India is that to avoid problems at Indian immigration you should ensure that your passport is valid for a minimum of a further 180 days from the date of your arrival in India.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/india/entry-requirements

SM
SMa wrote:

The FCO advice to holders of British passports travelling to India is that to avoid problems at Indian immigration you should ensure that your passport is valid for a minimum of a further 180 days from the date of your arrival in India.

SM

Exactly, thats what I said?
When you apply for your visa, your passport needs to have a minimum of 180 days left on it.

I have gone to Goa with less than 6 months left on my passport but with a valid visa.

I confirmed with HCI (pre VFS days) that this would be acceptable and took written confirmation of this with me.

I think Immigration at Dabolim only look at your visa to make sure it's in date, not at your passport details.
botany bay wrote:
SMa wrote:

SM

Exactly, thats what I said?

But I thought you were also querying why any country would require you to have a passport that was going to be valid for 6 months after your departure and the bulk of my answer was concerned with that. I've re-read it now and realised that you were querying why a country would want you to have a valid visa that extended beyond your projected date of departure. That's what confused me because the question was about passport validity and not visa validity.

But even then, it's common for many countries to have minimum visa requirements that exceed most visitors planned trip length. For example, I go to Cuba on a regular basis where most people only visit for 14 nights but a tourist visa is always for 30 days.

SM
No Ma'am, the reply to the initial question was that passport validity of 6 months "after return" was required.

This was clearly wrong.

Tried to explain why................ obviously not clearly enough :think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.