Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
There is no town as such at capobino or calahonda. I would think that they need to stay in a town. If they liked Nerja you could try Almunecar, which is flat and very spanish. Torremolinos, Benalmadena and Fuengirola all have flat areas and tourist trains as well as being well served by a real train and frequent buses.

Cheers,

John
Hello,

Regarding your parents visit. I would not advise either of these places for them to stay if they are not activeley mobile. They are quite isolated areas and do not really offer much.

My advise would be to find a good location near the beach in Fuengirola. This is an old fishing port which is probably one of the biggest towns in the region. There is lots to do for them with numerous cafes and restaurants which all offer excellent food.

A short walk from the beach, probably about 300 metres inwards and you have a place called Constitution Square which has a church as its centre piece. All the shops run off this square which caters for everyone.

The train runs from Fuengirola to Malaga, so they could check out other towns if they wish. The bus station is about 100 metres or so from the train station.

They could go on the bus to Mijas in the mountains, but not to far away, which is a very Spanish pueblo style village. The views from here are amazing and they can have a donkey taxi ride up here! Again here, lots of good cafes and shops for day tripping purchase.

I have never been to Nerja so i could not compare with Fuengirola. However, Fuengirola is a busy place and is also very flat.

If they like horse racing they can go to the Hippodrome race track which has night time racing. A totally different experience to the race tracks in the UK!

Hope this helps.
I have to agree with the replys given, but if they really want to go to Calahonda then go there and not cabopino which is very small and quite, there is not a great deal to do for the elderly, the walk around Calahonda which is know as the Strip, is about 3 miles long with pubs, cafes, shops etc , however there is a tourist train that goes around and you can get on and off at will, most of the building work is complete and Calahonda Park is very clean and enjoyable. the beach is a good 10 mins walk away. :D
Totally agree about Fuengirola. OK, so everyone is different, but for a holiday base the resort is ideal for people of all ages.
The shopping in Fuengirola/Los Boliches is very good and there's also the Miramar shopping mall complex on the outskirts of Fuengirola and buses to the mall run frequently.
The bus station in Fuengirola can take you pretty much anywhere you like in the Costa Del Sol at a very low cost.
I've been to Fuengirola for a number of years and If I live until I'm 150 and go 4 times a year I'd still never get around all the restaurants that are within the resort, there's hundreds of them.
Add that to the fact it's only approx 15/20 mins from Malaga airport and you have the ideal location to explore the majority of the Costa Del Sol.
I took my other half to Cabopino for a meal at a place called Alberts and I would definately go again, the food was great and there's something special about having a meal at Porto Cabopino. The mistake we made was getting a taxi both ways, whereas from what I understand the bus from Fuengirola to Marbella stops at Cabopino so next time it will be wise to use the public transport and save money on a taxi.
What about La Cala ( next to Calahonda).We love it. Flat ,everything you would need there. Off the main busy road. On the beach. Lots of buses and Taxis. I would have no problems telling my parents to stay there.
Charlie is right, La Cala can be a very nice break, however after a week, unless you got on the bus to see more, you would soon get board, the best night out at La Cala is the race track ( horses ) on a Friday night, it really is a great night out, jump into a taxi and ask for the Hipadromo, the gates open at 20-00hrs and the first race starts at 22-00hrs, you can eat and drink in there and in between the races a diff show takes place, all for 7 euro inc program, enjoy :D
Yes the bus is the 220 from Feungirola
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.