Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Jet lag is always worse when you travel Eastwards as you lose time. However with a long flight such as the Dom Rep, you will be lucky to get away with not having any at all. If you google jet lag, you'll find some good tips on how to handle it. We usually have a room on the way back as hubby doesn't sleep on the plane.
I would definitely not drive after that flight. Have done it 4 times and always shattered on landing at Gatwick. Best to make other arrangements.
Lorraine
We stayed at Gatwick when we came back from the Dom Rep the last time we went and have booked to stay there again this year. It was my first time long haul and although I had no problems when we got out there, I did feel very disorientated and sort of 'not with it' for about 4 or 5 days after returning home. Personally, I wouldn't advise anyone to drive from London to Bristol after a flight of that duration.
Thanks very much every one on the sound advise,
To be safe i think i will look into alternative transport home.
Thanks again for all the help.
Lyn :)
Jet lag can last for days for some people. Were both middle aged now and find it hard to stay awake past 10pm local time in the Dom Rep for the first week,but thats almost certainly due all the excess food and drink you consume! On the return journey from the airport we always have someone pick us up or even catch a cab.
We have a thread on the General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips section dedicated to jet lag and how to beat in. Jet lag is caused by the body being out of sync with local time. It's not a function of the length of flight, but as a result of crossing time zones. For example, you could fly 12 hours to Cape Town (South Africa) and not have a problem because you've gone pretty much south and only crossed 2 time zones. Although you'll notice a difference, your body will quickly adjust. When flying to the Dom Rep, you'll be passing through 5 time zones as you are going east/west. Your body will therefore be out of sync and it can take a day or two to catch up. As has been mentioned, westbound is generally the worst as you lose time, ie you are ready for bed when it's only evening or thinking it's breakfast time and it's still the middle of the night! Coming home is a lot easier to adjust for most people although flights tend to be overnight so you lose a nights sleep unless you are one of the lucky ones and can sleep on aircraft! I'd definately advise against driving after a long haul flight.

The key to beating jet lag is get yourself used to local time as soon as you can. Once you arrive in the Dom Rep, don't sleep until as late as possible. People make the mistake of going to bed at their normal time (UK time). I know travelling it tiring, but if you sleep as you would in UK time, you'll wake up at your normal time that is the middle of the night Dom Rep time. It'll take you longer to adjust then. If you stay awake as long as possible, you should then wake up at a more usual local time and you'll adjust quicker. You are usually tired on the second night, but at least you'll be in local time within 48 hours instead of 3 or 4 days.

Darren
Make sure you change your watch on the way over once you get on the plane. Dont wait until you land.
we got back from Dom Rep on monday

( were on a weeks cruise)

the jetlag has really surprised me !

i feel really groggy even today!

when we got to the Dom Rep we stayed awake as long as poss,and even then were waking at stupid o clock for the first 2 nights! 2am / 4am etc!

and i couldnt stay awake beyond 10 / 11pm ish!

the 5 course dinner and cocktails prob didnt help matters ;)
by day 3 it was fine, and we were waking up at normal time
( 6/7am ish)

then coming back ( overnight flight to birmingham) i found it hard to sleep :(
then I had to drive back to south wales.was ok ,did feel a tad sleepy but not too bad

slept 10am - 3pm on monday! then course wasnt sleepy at normal bedtime!

last night i was wide awake til 2am then exhausted this morning!

my youngest son aged 6 i had to wake @ half 8 this morning! which is totally unheard of for him !

it was prob worse for us,as we only had one week ( have kids so it was a half term holiday) as we were getting used to it then time to come home ! lol
Hi ~ Rachie B ~
Thanks for your reply it is very much appriciated.
Hope you had a fabulous holiday.
Lyn x :wave:
thank you :)
it was fab ,back down to earth with a bump now :( lol

xx
Would you recommend going to work the day after your flight?
There is no way I can work the day after a long haul flight! I know some will do it but I feel like a zombie after a long flight.
Now if you pick somewhere like Cape Town with I think it's an hour difference, its easy. No jetag :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.