Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
We stayed there a few years ago before it was extended and became a Riu hotel. It was ok - but the sea view room that we had did not get any sun - rooms at the back seemed to get the sun. Also if you are at the front of the hotel there is quite a bit of traffic noise as there is a roundabout just outside the hotel. Nice swimming pool and sun terrace and if I remember rightly there was an indoor jacuzzi.

There is a very good coffee shop/restaurant attached we visited the last time we were in Malta.

The hotel is situated opposite one of the very few beaches in Malta - so it does get quite busy especially at weekends. Nice to walk along the 'promenade' in the evening.

Fairly isolated hotel although there are buses - a very steep walk up into the village. Perhaps you are considering hiring a car?

All in all - an ok hotel - maybe more like 3* than 4*.

I'm sure you will enjoy Malta anyway.

Pippa
Thanks for the input, Pippa!
Hopefully it's gotten a bit better since you stayed there. It's a Riu now, which I think is a sign of quality. Besides, we like walking and being active, so I'm not worried about the steep walk to town. There's a dive school there as well, which is good. I knew about the road, but from there you can hop on a bus and travel to other parts of the island. I've read that buses are quite good and cheap on Malta, is this true?
Well, looking forward to it and I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves! Better had as we're there for two weeks! :lol:

If anyone else wants to check this hotel out, have a look at this website:

http://www.seabankhotel.com
Monica :wink:
Hi again,

Yes, the Riu group does have a good reputation so hopefully they will have upgraded the hotel.

The buses are really good - you can get anywhere you want and they are extremely cheap. My 80 year old mother has just returned from her 'umpteenth' visit to Malta and is off there again in March. She always uses the buses to get all over the island. They are not the cleanest or the most comfortable but they do run very frequently.

As you are the 'active' type you should be able to take quite long walks from the hotel as it is a fairly rural area.

We love Malta - have been 5 times - the people are very friendly and it is a very safe island.

Pippa
didn't stay there but saw the hotel whilst we were there. advise hiring a car as there's not much to do in melliha apart from the church, few shops and the danish village.
ok for older people but maybe younger people would have to go further afield for nightlife.
Thanks, but we're not too worried about the nightlife to be honest. A few nice restaurants will do and there is supposedly lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. A dive school right in the hotel, for instance, and other watersports and great walks. :D

We probably will hire a car for a couple of days, but plan to go on the buses a lot, too! Besides we've got a beach right nearby and there aren't many of those in Malta!

Looking forward to it soooo much! :) Anyone else staying there same time as us? :wink:
Hello Monica,

We are going to be over there on 22/03/05 but unfortunately will be back before you go. Don't worry about 'not being much to do' because there are some good bars in the village and on the Heights (near petrol station). Also you can catch a bus into Buggiba/Qawra for around 40 cents where there are plenty of bars. The trip will only take about ten mins. A taxi back will cost around 6Lm. A lot of people who go to Mellieha stay full or half board and don't really venture out of the hotels but it is well worth the walk/pub crawl to the Heights. I have already mentioned a day trip to Gozo that you can easily do from where you are staying, you can also visit the other beaches nearby which in my opinion are better than Mellieha Bay because they are not as busy and there are some great walks all around them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.