Holiday Advice

Holiday Advice From HolidayTruths Admins
It can provide a cheaper alternative to using "international" roaming on your own mobile phone(s)/networks..
Personally, no internet on holiday -no problem ,but then I haven't got to cater for teenagers!
I managed without internet in January Dave for 2weeks 😀. Hubby likes to read & sometimes having a mooch around the net in the apartment keeps me quiet 😂.
I wouldnt describe it as a signal booster, more a 3G or 4G phone signal data receiver which then re-broadcasts the Internet it receives as a wifi type hot spot to other devices within 10 metres linked to it. You are paying via the SIM card for the data used at a cheaper rate than roaming. You would expect to pay for phone data, so that's why you are paying for this data, which is not coming from any wifi source. The other devices would need to know the password supplied with the mifi device as you don't want unauthorised people on your paid for SIM card stealing bandwidth and slowing your internet down.
Thanks Frank I understand a little better now 👍

So.......is it only suitable for texting, emails etc on your phone or could you watch free films from a website on a tablet?
Think of it as being like using data on your phone , when you are not in a Wifi area, you will be charged for the data used by the Mifi device according to the tariff on the SIM card in the Mifi device. You will need a contact on the SIM card, usually monthly payments will be taken just like on a phone. These devices are primarily for use in the Uk , you need to be careful for use abroad where roaming charges are involved. https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/mobilebroadband/help/will-i-be-able-to-use-my-mobile-broadband-account
For high data usage like movies on a tablet obviously you would use free wifi where available instead. The only safe way I know using roaming data abroad without getting a huge bill, is with the Three network, when in a " feel at home destination. Otherwise, I don't know whether it would be cheaper to pay for wifi instead of the cost of roaming abroad on your mifi sim.

Thanks Frank 👍 I think I'll just leave tablet at home.

The apartment we're renting has nearly everything, Aircon, cable TV but no WiFi which in this day & age is a bit of a let down but not a deal breaker for us. The Aircon is the most important 🌞🌞🌞🌞
Roaming charges are to abolished from 15th June 2017
Free Roaming from June 2017
  • Edited by ICF 2017-05-17 17:55:50
Though no guarantee that will continue to be the case for UK citizens after we leave the EU! In 2019!
Three already give their customers free roaming. I'm with Virgin though 😂
I'm with Vodafone , they did text the other day about the free roaming , and then a few days later text that the monthly fee would go up 10% !! Nothing is ever " free " !! Even if the UK loses " free" roaming after leaving the EU and the UK users go back to current pricing at 5p for calls and 2p for texts it's not that bad , wonder how much it "cost " for 3 years work and 3 EU institutions , the parliment, commission and council to get this deal over the line ??
But, Andy, wasn't the issue with roaming charges not the price of txts and calls but data usage? In other words the use of a mbl for downloading emails, using it as a Sat Nav, web browsing etc? When out of the UK I always disabled 'roaming' (and will continue to do so when outside of the UK, especially Cuba) which means that I can still receive and send txts and calls but the phone isn't constantly downloading eg emails. I just then make use of eg free Wifi when it's available to check them but only rarely - I let everybody who might need to contact me that they will have to txt or call and that I probably won't be responding to emails until I get home.

I agree that the charges for txts and calls are minimal but people were coming back from holidays having left the 'roaming' facility active and then used their mbls to download maps, check their FB pages (or even possibly HT :-) ), played interactive on-line games etc and then been faced with 4 figure bills and this is what the 'free roaming' directive was designed to protect people against - it meant that people should be able to use their data allowance in their monthly contract at no extra charge and under the same conditions whilst in the EU that they can use their data allowances while at home in the UK and not come home to massive bills.
And also some apps will update using your data allowance even if you're not using it , I agree that phone providers need to be more open about this or have legislation imposed upon them , consumers pay their package price and shouldn't be caught out by loopholes , most people now have a mobile phone and shouldn't have to be an expert to avoid any extra charges .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.