Transport for London is to meet new Uber chief executive Dara Khosrowshahi to discuss the situation over losing its licence to operate in the capital.

Mayor Sadiq Khan agreed to the move after Khosrowshahi apologised for mistakes that had been made.

Former Expedia Inc CEO Khosrowshahi, who joined Uber less than a month ago, issued an open letter on Monday to say Uber would appeal the decision not to renew its licence, but said he accepted the company 'must change'.

The decision was made on Friday and, unless it is reversed,Uber's licence will run out on Saturday, September 30.

In his letter, he said: "While Uber has revolutionised the way people move in cities around the world, it's equally true that we've got things wrong along the way.

"On behalf of everyone at Uber globally, I apologise for the mistakes we've made."

He also said the company would listen to Londoners' concerns.

Khan said: "I welcome the apology from Dara Khosrowshahi, the Uber CEO. Obviously I am pleased that he has acknowledged the issues that Uber faces in London.

"Even though there is a legal process in place, I have asked TfL to make themselves available to meet with him."

An online petition to keep Uber operating has now reached 750,000 signatures.

Courtesy of Travelmole