America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Re: New York..
37 Posts
Yes you can do, but if you do get to go to the statue, book your tickets via the official site statuecruises.com book the earliest time ferry out too, also avoids potential queues, and allow yourself enough time - the climb to the top (if its back open then) is rather gruelling lol and the view isn't that fab, but its an experience certainly worth taking.

Ellis Island (which you get to on the same ferry after Liberty Island) is also worth checking out - we went on a free ranger tour which lasted 45 mins and learned a great deal in that time. Interesting to wander round.

We didn't do the hop on and hop off. Traffic is so busy we found it much better to get a metro card, cost us about $27 for the week and you can use it as often as you like. The "attractions" are so spread out this enables you to get where you want or need to, cheaply, quickly and avoid being stuck in traffic. Was the best money we spent for our trip :)
We also booked open ended tickets for the empire state building this saved the initial queue to get tickets but we also went there for when it opened and were up at the top for in about 20 mins. TOTR didn't need to book in advance and there was little waiting time, although we preferred the ESB.

If you are there, you can always check out the Macey's Parade :)
WE loved New York - cannot wait to return!
also sign up to goldstar.com its a great place which has a whole host of discounted offers for events and things in NYC - we bought tickets for our Manahttan by Sail which was beautiful (altho we did go in summer lol) but had to pay only a $7 booking fee for tickets that were $49 each
Karen_uk wrote:
Yes you can do, but if you do get to go to the statue, book your tickets via the official site statuecruises.com book the earliest time ferry out too, also avoids potential queues, and allow yourself enough time - the climb to the top (if its back open then) is rather gruelling lol and the view isn't that fab, but its an experience certainly worth taking.

Ellis Island (which you get to on the same ferry after Liberty Island) is also worth checking out - we went on a free ranger tour which lasted 45 mins and learned a great deal in that time. Interesting to wander round.

We didn't do the hop on and hop off. Traffic is so busy we found it much better to get a metro card, cost us about $27 for the week and you can use it as often as you like. The "attractions" are so spread out this enables you to get where you want or need to, cheaply, quickly and avoid being stuck in traffic. Was the best money we spent for our trip :)
We also booked open ended tickets for the empire state building this saved the initial queue to get tickets but we also went there for when it opened and were up at the top for in about 20 mins. TOTR didn't need to book in advance and there was little waiting time, although we preferred the ESB.

If you are there, you can always check out the Macey's Parade :)
WE loved New York - cannot wait to return!

TOTR was an 80 min waiting time just after christmas. I must say that if i go again i will go in the summer.
Thanks again all.. If anyone else has any other tips on places to eat etc.. Or other things we should book in advance etc.. would be mostly appreciated..
We wont be arriving untill the thursday evening so will miss the parade :(
Century 21 is a massive discount store selling upmarket brands. It is very near the 9/11 site and well worth a visit for bargains.

My 24 year old daughter was delighted that she could design and buy her own M&Ms with her name on, bless. So dont forget to visit the M&MS store :rofl
Cool.. Thanks for that.. I also want to go to the Paul Frank store too & i think its down that way.. :) I also got some m & m pj bottoms from the store in Vegas.. I do like the store :)
emdia43 wrote:
bubble123 wrote:
Thanks again everyone. Was looking at flying with Virgin Atlantic again.. We were booked to stay at the park central last year when we unfortunatley couldnt make it.. we paid then 760 for 5 nights for late november..
Luckily only lost 16 when we had to cancel.. Thats one of the reasons i booked it incase the visa wasnt here in time..
You know the woodbury common outlets can you get the bus when ever you like? Or if you go are you there for say a whole 8 hours or which ever?
Like the ones in vegas & orlando you can come & go as you please? I realise that these are further out & just wondered if the buses run regular?
emdia43 wrote:
The day after Thanksgiving is Black Friday- that is the busiest day of the shopping year. It does not let up all that weekend. After that it's 'normal' Christmas shopping crowds.

Are the crouds alot worse than christmas crouds? :)

I live in the USA.
Thanksgiving weekend everywhere the malls are jam-packed because stores start their sales. Some people love that, it's the start of Christmas season - my daughter always goes shopping then,for bargains, she likes the atmosphere, whereas I avoid it - all the traffic jams, standing in line . Once that weekend is over it settles down, weekday shopping is fine, the closer to Christmas the busier it gets again....

I know this may sound a stupid question but are stores likely to sell out of things & not replace them over this weekend? Like would it kind of be once its gone its gone? Or do they restock up over night etc?
wendywu wrote:
Century 21 is a massive discount store selling upmarket brands. It is very near the 9/11 site and well worth a visit for bargains.
Personally, I wasn't all that impressed with Century 21. while it's a huge store with plenty of things, the quality of some of the things wasn't great and they only have selected brands. It's still worth a visit though but it was really busy when I was their with massive queues to pay.

bubble123 wrote:
If anyone else has any other tips on places to eat etc

There's litterally hundreds of places to try with restuarants from pretty much every country you can think of. Just have a walk around and see what takes your fancy, most have menus outside. I know this isn't exaclty adventerous, but The British Pub on W45th & 5th where I was staying was pretty good. Blue Moon was the nicest beer I tried (orange brewed lager, sounds strange but is nice) but I'd stay away from Brooklyn, Beer, that wasn't nice! If you like aircraft carriers, the USS Intrepid at the end of 46th is well worth a visit and you can get the water taxi from the peir next to it down to Battery Park.

bubble123 wrote:
Do you get close enough for decent pictures of the statue of liberty while on the ferry?

You'll need to be on startboard side (right) outbound from Manhatton to Staten Island for the best views and the port side (left) on the return. The best views are on the return as you're closer to Liberty Island. You get great views and best of all, the Staten Island Ferry is free!

Darren
Thanks Darren.. Really appreciated..
hi bubble interesting post for me as i have booked to go to new york arriving friday 22nd november till the monday 25th. i booked a package through british airways. the 1 bonus being you only have to pay a deposit. i will then pay an amount each month so its not 1 big pay out in september. we will be 1st time visitors to new york so the the info on here from people who have been is a great help.
Ahh you are going the weekend before us then.. We arrive thursday the 28th whichs Thanksgiving & staying for 4 nights.. I really like posts like this as you get loads of info before you go.. We are planning on using the hop on hop off buses i think to get around to begin with.. Although a friend has just got home from there & she said most of its walkable if you dont mind.. Which we dont so we shall see.. Will probably book most of the things we would like to do before we arrive.. So exciting.. :)
I didn't use the Hop-on Hop-off buses when I was in New York. I mostly walked or used the subway. A couple of times I saw the buses stuck in gridlock so was glad I hadn't used them. But have found them useful in other cities. The first day I was in the city I booked a tour with a company called the New York Party Shuttle, the tour lasted about 5 hrs and was pretty comprehensive with a really knowlegeable guide on board, they only do tours for small groups and you get off the bus to have a short look around at each stop. We had a stop of about 3/4 hr at the South Street Seaport for us to have some lunch (not included) and we also rode the Staten Island Ferry as part of the tour. We could choose to be dropped of at Macey's Department Store at the end of the tour. The tour gave me a sense of where everything was in the City and I had no problems finding my way around after that.

Unfortunately you won't be there for the lighting of the Rockefeller Christmas Tree but you will be able to see (or even join in) the skaters on the Ice Rink there.

There is so much to see and do in New York, I think it would be very hard to be bored as there is pretty much something for everyone. I travelled on my own and never felt unsafe.

our hotel is close to times square so we will walk and use the subway. what i would like to know is do they have cheap ticket booths for the theatre in new york like they do in london.
There is a TKTS Booth on Times Square where you can buy discounted tickets for that days performances
after 2pm. There is also a booth at the South Street Seaport which I believe opens earlier.
thanks judith im sure i will be in touch for more info before i go :)
I've enjoyed reading your posts on New York guys, Im off there in October first time for me! I'm very excited :)
Thanks for the interesting tip regarding to the ticket booth Judith :)
Like most things, prices can fluctuate depending on demand. Given the time of year, ie thanks giving and the run up to christmas, I would say prices are more likely to go up than down. I would book early. Prices also very much depend on where in New York you are wanted to stay as it can vary from very cheap to very expensive. I've never been at Thanksgiving, but Manhattan is normally busy during the week at any time of year and quieter on a weekend.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.