EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
My instinctive suggestion is that he/she should visit the area him/herself and find exactly the area that suits him. S/he needs to be sure as to what s/he wants from the area - holiday let, permanent residence, transport etc.

Then s/he can start visiting local estate agents and seeing what is available for the money. Be aware that on the resale of anything that is not your primary residence (even if not in France) will cost you a massive tax bill (33%) and that there are annual taxes to be paid even if you are not in residence for all or any of the 365/6 days in the year!! And there's the dual tax treaty between France and UK so you have to be really straight in all your dealings!!

There is a good book called http://Living in Franceby David (Someone - think it's a county name) but somebody pinched my copy several years back and never admitted to it!!

There is also a monthly newspaper for British expats, which I believe is centred on the south west - it's called The News.

Your friend needs to be absolutely sure what s/he wants to buy and how much s/he is prepared to spend and then go see for him/herself.

Hope this is a starting point for him/her. Bonne chance!
My instinctive suggestion is that he/she should visit the area him/herself and find exactly the area that suits him. S/he needs to be sure as to what s/he wants from the area - holiday let, permanent residence, transport etc.

Then s/he can start visiting local estate agents and seeing what is available for the money. Be aware that on the resale of anything that is not your primary residence (even if not in France) will cost you a massive tax bill (33%) and that there are annual taxes to be paid even if you are not in residence for all or any of the 365/6 days in the year!! And there's the dual tax treaty between France and UK so you have to be really straight in all your dealings!!

There is a good book called http://Living in Franceby David (Someone - think it's a county name) but somebody pinched my copy several years back and never admitted to it!!

There is also a monthly newspaper for British expats, which I believe is centred on the south west - it's called The News.

Your friend needs to be absolutely sure what s/he wants to buy and how much s/he is prepared to spend and then go see for him/herself.

Hope this is a starting point for him/her. Bonne chance!

Many thanks for the info I have just passed it onto him.

I am trying to get him to buy here in Spain where I live and there are not son many tax problems etc but I dont think he will.

Once again many thanks.

Regards
a1gjv
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.