Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Hi,
I've been to Puglia quite a few times and it has always been a little dream of mine to rent a trullo so I'm a bit biased.
I really love the trulli district around Alberobello, Martina Franca and Locorotundo. The people are very friendly and the scenery is qiute dramatically different from the north of italy. A lot of it reminded me a little of Greece, with the white-washed houses etc.
Further south you have Otranto with a fine castle and the beaches in Puglia are without doubt the finest in all of Italy. They are usually long sandy beaches with crystal clear water. Lecce is very beautiful as well.
Southern Italy is a poorer than the north and you can see it to an extent but Puglia has escaped some of the worse excesses seen in Calabria, Basilicata and Sicily.
I don't really know what specific information you want so if there is something more detailed then I can see if I can answer. Don't forget that Puglia has the longest coastline in Italy so the north of the region is very different from the south. I'm assuming that as you are mentioning the trulli you are thinking of basing yourselves in or around the Bari borders in the interior.
Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think I had the area all to myself (Some hope ?)

I am looking at the trullis around Locorotundo. My partner is keen on Greece, me Italy and after 10 visits to the land of the olive, Puglia is the compromise. The region appears to be quite accesible, Bari and Brindisi airports, and the trullis seem to be located on farmland areas in the interior of the region.

If you travel to the beaches are they easily accesible ?
Whereabouts did you stay and what was the accomodation like ?
Would you recomend the region to a first time traveller ?
Any personal recomendations likes or dislikes ?

Many thanks ...
Hello, I know Puglia very well and I love the trullo typoplogy. Trullos are typical stone made contruction and lay in the countryside. The most typicall are in the Valle d'Itria, near Ostuni, Ceglie, Locorotondo, Cisternino. I am in contact with a trullos'owner who rents BEATIFUL trullos in the countryside near Ostuni. They are very well finished and furnished. Write me if interested. I have been there...very charming!
Ciao,
Lucilla
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.