General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
How about the maldives.

Weather still good in May and if you fly with a scheduled airline you can basically go for as many nights as you want.

Try Thompson worldwide or Hayes and Jarvis as they both offer flights with Emirates, Quatar or Sri-lankan. I priced up a two week holiday to Lily beach for May a few months ago and that was £1400 per person all inclusive. if you want 10 or 11 nights then I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper.

Shame some of the Caribbean Islands are only served from the UK by charter airlines that fly only once a week otherwise your choice would be greater.

Tracy
What about Thailand - Koh Samui for example. Scheduled airlines - many with 34inch seat pitch in economy - your budget should be able to get you a pretty posh hotel out there - maybe even with your own plunge pool. All-inclusive not an option out there as its so cheap to eat around and about.
Thanks you both, I have been to the Maldives, and as tempting as it is to go back, I'd like to try somewhere we haven't be before.

Sunbear....... my worry with Thailand is the student central aspect of it, which areas would you recommend for nice hotels, local cheap restaurants nearby that doesn't feel like a Uni campus ! :wink:

Thanks!
Cheng Mon beach is quite pleasant with a number of hotels on it...and small local restaurants on the beach. A little out from Chaweng...but you can easily get there for a livlier resort and shopping if you fancy a change.

Bophut is another area to consider.
Thanks sunbear.

Do you know if there is any good snorkelling in Ko Samui.........we are looking at the Sala Samui on Choeong Mon beach.

Also, any ideas on the cost of living as far as food, drinks and excursions go?

Thanks!
Thought you might have a look at the Sala Samui. Snorkelling from Cheng Mon is not great. The best snorkelling is done from smaller islands such as Koh Tao and Koh Nang Yuan (great snorkelling there -- three islands joined together by a sandbar - one of the more amazing places in Thailand). You can get to these by day boattrip or stay on them if you choose. Trips can also be done to the Ang Thong marine park.

Not been to Samui for a few years as I prefer the Krabi region of Thailand. However costs are pretty much the same. Should be able to get a meal for two from beachside restaurants for £10 - 12 pounds including a beer each. Wine is more expensive as it is imported. The hotel prices will be a bit more expensive - but still reasonable by UK standards. Snacks during the day maybe £2. You usually get a minibar or small fridge in tour hotel room...I always put my own drinks in here rather than use the supplied ones...never had any problems about it. Usually stock up from a local supermarket. I think there is even a Tesco Lotus on Samui now - Tesco are getting everywhere.
How about Dubai? I have been to all the places you mentioned too, but my favourite was Dubai. You are guarenteed excellent weather and the hotels are out of this world. The beaches are beautiful, not sure about snorkelling, but i'm sure someone will be able to let you know more about it, and the shopping is to die for. We stayed at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel and I would recommend it, but if you can afford it I would maybe stay a couple of nights at Burj Al Arab or Al Maha Desert resort. We are going back to Dubai in June. This time we are staying at The Royal Mirage. Next year we are hoping to book to stay a few nights at the new Emirates Palace hotel in Abu Dhabi. This hotel look absolutely amazing. Check out their website.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.