Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Hi pample,
We've just got back from there (nice place, esp for kids).

We learnt the hard way that apparantly check in time is 4pm, and that this is 'stated at the back of the brochure', and is standard. (?)
Unfortunately I got about 1 hours sleep for the night we were travelling, and got to San Jaime about 12 midday, (I was that tired I couldn't work out the time, lol) and we were told that our place wasn't ready.
We could however leave our bags in reception and use the pool. So tell yer mate to pack the towels, bikinis and suncream seperately or at the top.
We had backpacks with us, so it was tooooo much hassle digging all that out, plus all you wanna do is get settled in!!

Needless to say that a letter of complaint will be going in.

Oh, I must add that this was in half term week, so the room may be ready without problems when she arrives.

Hope she has a great holiday!
Thanks very much for the reply and info LCT :D

I think she had a feeling she wasn't going to get in till later so I'd already advised her to take swim things in her hand luggage.

She's going to have the same problems as you though and isn't bothering to go to bed the night before. The flight's been brought forward to 0515 so by the time she's allowed for the journey, 40 mins the car park says to allow, and check in she'll end up having to leave around 0130. Rather her than me with the kids then LOL :wink:

Glad you enjoyed your holiday and good luck with the complaint, let us know how you get on.

Any further advice on the apartments/resort would be great and I will pass it on as she's not online. And dare I ask about what the weather's been like? She's rather nervous and when looking through the temperature guides it was only showing in the early 60's though I'm sure it must be hotter over there at the mo.

Thanks for your help :D
according to government guidelines in spain , official check in time in spain is after 3pm and check out for apartments is 10am(12.00 for hotels).

so there can often be a wait for accomodation on arrival, most places though do try thier best to get them ready as quickly as possible, but in a complex as big as son bou/san jaime obviously some are going to be a bit later. But the suggestion to pack swim stuff, towels etc at the top of cases , is always a good one, especially when youve got the little ones with you chomping at the bit to get in the water :D
The weather was fab for us- although windy at times. This is probably why the temp shows low, as you don't feel the heat when the wind is blowing, but by heck you do burn if not careful!!

The only bother of the wind is that umbrellas can go flying, even at the pools (it doesn't happen often and the wind is not constant, but has its moments), so beware! Also down at the beach, if it's windy you will get sandblasted by the water, so sunbathing by the dunes is better.

This was how good the weather was- you could go down to the beach after 4pm and get a couple of hours sunbathing in. In fact during the midday hours it does get really hot.

We were told though that the week before we went out it wasn't as hot, but more cloudy.

The entertainment in zone 3 was a bit naff at times- but it depends on what your friend is looking for. The main entertainment with better quality is San Jaime where the water shutes are.
Unfortunately (for us!) it all seems to close a bit too soon, so we found this great bar place used by locals as well. It's called the Hawaiian bar and has great seats (swinging and swiveling cane ones) and good atmosphere. They are open very late and have no probs with kids or buggies. There is also an arcade thing there with pool tables to amuse the older kids. (We never gave them any money for them, apart from pool, but they were amused all the same!)

Beware the chinese bar next to the Irish bar!! Good food, but some mean selling tactics, which we got caught in.
We had ordered everything that we wanted and because we were hungry we said 'yes' to the waitress when she asked if we wanted prawn crackers and sesame toast. Along came 2 plates of prawn crackers and 1 plate of toast. Then came the bill........ we were charged 2x portions of prawn crackers (conned into that, we were aware that it was only one portion) and the cost of those items alone was 11Euro!!!! The toast was 6Euro alone!!!!!! So tell em to stick to what they order!!!

The beach restaurants/cafes (there's only 2 and owned by the same person it seems- same menu) are worth a meal in, esp in the evening. They are quieter then and you have the sun on you (very warm too) with the view of the beach. It's the kinda stuff you go on holiday for!!
Again good food and generous portions.

Food can be expensive, so if they are watching the pennies then be savvy.

People left loads of inflatables/buckets/balls by the pool and outside the kids club- we nabbed a few and handed them on to some people we met who are leaving this Wednesday- just as your friend is going out. We gave them loads, so hopefully they will leave them out for others!!

I can't think of anything else at the mo, ohhhh, do do the maze by the san Jaime place as it is different and fun. Has a few steps in it though.

This is their website : http://www.amazenlaberintos.com I haven't seen it though, so don't know if it's any good.

Any thing else, please ask away!

Discodolly- I am gutted to hear that. But I will complain anyway. If they live and die by the brouchure then I will glady point out that it states everyone gets a free bottle of wine in their room. This was stopped a while ago the rep said, but hey! 'Stated it in the brochure'- so I must have it!! :lol:
Thanks very much LCT, passed all the info onto my friend who flew out yesterday.

She has sent a text saying it is lovely and hot and the room will be ready at 12 noon.

Boy am I jealous. Returned from Tenerife a month ago and now pouring through the brochures for next year!!
No worries!

I know, I'm looking at holidays again (love a late bargain!!) and would love to have another, but next year it shall have to be..... :( Still, that's what makes us look forward to the holidays , as they are a bit of a rarity!!

I would love to hear how your friend enjoyed her holiday and any experiences she had. It keeps the holiday alive for me too!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.