Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Hotel Illa d'or
12 Posts
Well, from walking past in the evenings, along the Pine Walk, I can tell you that everyone gets dressed up smartly in the restaurant, and it's waiter service, not a buffet.
I don't know about the rest of it....
Depends how civilised your teenagers are..... :wink:
(no I don't really mean that of course, no offence meant, personally even I would prefer something more relaxed on holiday and I'm 40+ years old!)
What about the Playa Mar apartments, which aren't very far away? (across road from beach). Loads of places to eat out locally if you don't want to be bothered with the self-catering.
Hope this helps
:roll:Hi

We have just returned from Puerto Pollenca and we stayed in a Thomson Superfamily Hotel called the Puerto Azul which is really central and close to the beach.

We walked past the Hotel Illa D'or which is on the beautiful pine walk, about a 7 minute walk from Puerto Pollenca.

The Hotel itself looked very nice, however like Acorncup it seemed to be full of older people who definitely dressed for the occasion. We also noted how small the pool was (postage stamp size) and how few sunbeds were around the pool area. We also heard from some guests at the Illa D'or that the food wasn't very good either. But we didn't sample this for ourselves so cannot speak from experience.

The hotel that we stayed at was excellent and we are considering returning next year. However, I would say that 14 would be the maiximum age that I would go up to as there are many young children in the hotel with kids clubs geared up to the ages of 12 years.

I feel that the suggestion of the Playa Mar Apartments (which is also Thomson Superfamily) may be suited to the same age group as the Puerto Azul and is also too far a walk out of Town.

Puerto Pollenca though absolutely wonderful.

Hope this helps you make a decision

Suzanne
Thanks for advice on illa d'or.Decision made on the strength of pool size!It's a difficult age and will probably be the last family holiday all together so I want to try to get it right.Will keep trying and any more suggestions gratefully received. :D :)
I think with a teenager it would be better to choose a hotel for his/her age group.

Hope you have a good holiday anyway where ever the hotel may be.

Suzanne
If you fancy Puerto Pollensa, how about the large Pollensa Park which is the other end of town? It may be more suitable for older kids and although it is further to walk into the "nicer" part of town it may be worth it if the kids are better suited :D
Thanks.Will look into that.Anyone recommend a suitable place in cala d'or?
nanci, have stayed at ponent playa which is a barcelo hotel right on beach and about 20min walk to centre of cala dor,plenty of bars restaurants in area.also stayed at cala dor gardens which is the other side of marina.both very good.for me cala dor is best resort in mallorca.
anybody been here please ?
looking to do a cruise and stay job on the thomson destiney next year
OR.... has anyone got any alternative suggestions ref hotels
thanks
Hi x-ray

I have moved your post to the Majorca forum where it may get a better response.

luci :wave
The Illa D'Or is THE posh hotel in Puerto Pollensa. It is in a brilliant location on the Pine Walk, right on the beach, but I should imagine it's quite formal in there (we have never stayed there, just looked in on the way past :wink: ). The dining room is very grand, guests are served at table (i.e. no buffet) and the men wear not only long trousers but shirt and tie as well.

If that is what you want after your cruise then I';m sure you'll have a great time there, but if you want something more informal, then I should go somewhere else.

hope this helps :)
I agree on its location on the Pine Walk, but it is also as far along from the centre as it is possible to get on that side of town. Which means a good 15 mins walk to the centre, if you are fit and like that then OK.
That end of town is very quiet in the evening, so most activity will take place in the hotel, unless you fancy a walk into town along the pedestrian Pine Walk.
Very formal, upmarket 4 star hotel, 50's and older.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.