Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
prague
13 Posts
hi Bejay - it's a while since I've been there, but this looks like a good site to start http://www.expats.cz/prague/article/prague-relocation/cost-of-living/ It's a beautiful city and I hope we get to return there before very much longer.
I think you could spend £500 easily in that time particularly if you are planning on some late nights drinking too , maybe more with the cost of the normal tourist attractions and stops for coffee and cake along the way.. We are going back ourselves over christmas but only stopping 2 nights this time .
where did you stay Lyn was it central. Did you get transfers to hotel. Did you change money over there or here. Sorry if too many questions
Lyn & I stayed in the same place Bejay - The Julian hotel, a lovely hotel & very central. They arranged the airport transfers for me, & I changed money in the Uk. We did use the ATM's out there, and I think that Lyn's approximation of around £500 will be about right. Of course it does depend where you eat and drink, & what you do while you're there.
Hi Bejay - I booked Leonard Hotel in Prague through Expedia http://www.hotelleonardo.cz/ . We got airport bus to train station - short train ride then 10 minutes walk if that to the Hotel. Ideally situated - right by Charles Bridge.
thanks Helen, my sister stays there. just looking were in Egypt last month and just fancy a short break, don't like thought of using ATM's abroad
Hi Bejay,

We were in Prague over the New Year 2 years ago and loved it. We'll definitely return. We stayed in the Ibis Old Town which was very central. we didn't need to use public transport at all as everything was on our doorstep. I can't remember how much we spent but although it wasn't cheap it wasn't too bad. We'd organised a transfer on line and we had a very knowledgeable gentleman meet us at the airport and give us lots of info on the city during the drive.
We were in Prague this month. Stayed at the Bila Labut for 3 nights. (yes, review done!)
Enjoyed the trip very much, but found it very crowded. There was a HUGE variation in prices of drinks and food. E.g. charged 72 krone for large and small beer near the hotel, (under £3) and 180 krone in Wenceslas Square (over £6). Now I know you expect to pay more in tourist hot spots, but Wenceslas Square is not St Mark's, venice!
The castle is lovely, we took 2 trams from where we were staying right to the entrance at the top, and enjoyed exploring downhill! The admission fees were a bit confusing-most of the outside areas are free, but you have to pay to get into Golden Lane. This same ticket would have allowed us into the cathedral and the castle exhibition, but we'd already passed those when we got the tickets. Some nice restaurants at the bottom of the castle in the Lesser Town.
We also enjoyed the evening river cruise with dinner which we booked online before we went with the transfer company. It was under £30 each, included a hot and cold buffet meal with dessert, a welcome drink, musician. It was a very relaxed, informal affair, and the buildings looked lovely from the water.
We bought some krone online before we went, but needed some more while we were there. Having been warned online about the money changing kiosks and con-men, we went into a bank. However there was no counter in there and it looked like no bank we had been in before! We were directed to an "official" looking kiosk across the road. Generally speaking the rate was better than we had got at home.
Yep really liked the julian Bejay . It's a 10 minute walk into the old town although you can easily jump on the tram if you are feeling lazy and they have a lovely log fire there for a drinkie or hot punch on your way back in of a night . Im probably going to book it again .. £150 for 2 nights over crimbo .. check the comparison sites heres a couple http://www.roomratecompare.com/ and http://www.trivago.co.uk/ . I was also looking at hotel pod vezi and the Savic hotel and prices are varying considerably . Quite fancy staying around Mala strana area this time but log fire at the julian is drawing me back for the slightly longer walk.

We booked airport transfer with Prague airport shuttle.com .. http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/ Be careful there are many with a similar name but these are widely recommended on TA . £24 or 600 CZK.... hmm trying to think now , definately used them for my son that went last year but may of got the hotel to pick us up :think

we took about £300 in currency for the 3 nights but needed more and just used the ATM's easily.
Just looked up the Leonardo Pam and that one looks nice and in a great spot too . More expensive £223 over 2 nights looks the cheapest I can do it for which is a shame because I've really got to budget on this one as we are skint right now.
Lyn, we used the same airport shuttle company as you but I couldn't remember the name. It was nice having a car to ourselves and not having to share with anybody else.
Just checked and we paid £262.32 for three nights. The breakfast was one of the best I've ever seen at a hotel. You really didn't have to eat again until the evening LOL!

We walked everywhere too - even to Wenceslas Square. We went to listen to a string quartet of Verdi in the church right opposite Charles Bridge. Added bonus for us was reading in the inflight magazine that the Terracotta Army exhibition was there. Absolutely brilliant!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.