UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
I've stayed a couple of times in Travelodge, once at LB airport & the other near Margate, and they were fine also :tup
Stayed in alot of Travelodges and for the cost can't complain, did stay in one Premier Inn and it was no different. Will be staying in a Premier Inn in 3 weeks for two nights so will see if there is any difference then. With me in this country it is price that rules generally, but do prefer Travelodges that are next to a Toby
We have regularly used Premier Inns and have benefitted from their good night guarantee a couple of times (we got two free nights and breakfasts from them last summer after my car was ransacked in their car park and we couldn't get it fixed early enough to get home).
Hubby persuaded us to try a Travelodge once because it was so much cheaper than the Premier Inn but never again. We had to make up the kids' beds ourselves and there weren't enough pillows so I went to reception to ask for more only to be told that they didn't have any spare pillows in the hotel.
We always ask for a spare pillow as we book in and never been refused
I often stay in Premier Inns and have stayed in I think eight different ones throughout the UK. They have all been of the same high standard and good value when they are offering the rooms for 29 or 39 pounds per night. At times though they can be quite pricey. OH is going to the UK next week and we looked at the PI in the town where he is staying and they wanted 258 pounds for three nights and that was the special price, with no refund if he had to cancel.. He has chosen to stay in a 4* B&B in a better position (sea front) with free 24 hr wi fi , good toiletries and an English breakfast for 150pounds for the three nights, none of which are available for free in a PI. The B&B gets excellent reviews and he has stayed there before so knows how good it is.

Travelodges are going through a huge renovation project at the moment so I will be interested to see what their new product is like. We do stay in Travelodges at times during our frequent visits to the UK but we check reviews carefully as the standards vary immensely. The family rooms though are large and the Travelodge that we stay in occasionally is always comfortable and clean with friendly staff and usually less than half the price of a PI.
We stayed in a Premier Inn for the first time on the way back from the Lakes 2 years ago. For what we paid we were very impressed. Last year stayed at the new one at Gatwick North Terminal and will be staying there again in 10 days prior to our flight to the Dom Rep .... £94 for BBEM for both of us. Can't go wrong at that price especially for an airport hotel:-)
Britannia Hotels do good sales for mid-week stays. B&B @£39 for 2 isn't bad.
We like InnKeepers Lodges and again if you get a good discount rate the are very nice and a lot of them have a bit more character than standard budget hotel room, unfortunately many of them have been taken over by Travelodge.

We haven't used Travelodge for many years as our last experience was enough to put us of them.
We were staying overnight in the Travelodge at Manchester airport on return from Kenya and it was terrible, the room was disgusting with holes in the walls, burns on the carpet, flaking paint and the whole place was in need of a total refurb. The large group from Liverpool who were staying overnight ran riot in the bar / restaurant and were totally hammered and obnoxious and made so much noise that sleep wasn't an option.

Complaints to the front desk did nothing to stop them and they carried on doing what they wanted.

That was the last ever Travelodge for us.

We have been making good use of the £29 Premier Inn room rates and every one so far has been very nice, pretty standard but everything has been as it should and all the staff have been very pleasant.
Every Premier inn we`ve stayed at has been good, for quality and price as we`ve always booked at sale prices. Holiday Inn Express we`ve found to be every bit as good, also booked at offer prices and with breakfast thrown in. Have also stayed at Ibis which were fine. Travelodge were the biggest disappointment of all that i have ever stayed in in UK or abroad, and to be honest I wouldn`t stay in one again even for free.
the ayrshire tripper wrote:
Every Premier inn we`ve stayed at has been good, for quality and price as we`ve always booked at sale prices. Holiday Inn Express we`ve found to be every bit as good, also booked at offer prices and with breakfast thrown in. Have also stayed at Ibis which were fine. Travelodge were the biggest disappointment of all that i have ever stayed in in UK or abroad, and to honest I wouldn`t stay in one again even for free.

We have booked an overnight ferry this summer (despite the 450+ mile drive in a day to catch it) rather than stay in a Travelodge because we couldn't get booked in a Premier Inn. My children (aged 13 and 10) said that they would rather sleep in the car than stay in the Travelodge.
Some people have good experiences in Travelodges some bad I've stayed in two and both were good. Stayed in one just last month for four nights and couldn't complain. I would never choose one without doing research though as I have seen lots of bad reports on the internet.

I've stayed in 8 different Premier Inns and only had one bad experience and that was before they offered their good nights sleep guarantee and a stag party were in the hotel making lots of noise until the early hours, with no attempt by the staff to stop it.

I think that Premier Inns at present offer a better product than Travelodges but I wouldn't turn down staying at a Travelodge if reviews were positive as the prices are normally much lower. The Travelodge at Stansted although a couple of miles from the airport is in a lovely building in absolutely beautiful surroundings and the one time I stayed there the room was large and clean with a brand new bathroom.
pat wrote:
We stayed in a Premier Inn for the first time on the way back from the Lakes 2 years ago. For what we paid we were very impressed. Last year stayed at the new one at Gatwick North Terminal and will be staying there again in 10 days prior to our flight to the Dom Rep .... £94 for BBEM for both of us. Can't go wrong at that price especially for an airport hotel:-)

It is a very reasonably priced hotel for those wanting to be on site , so they can walk to the terminal especially if you have the chance to do day before check in , just to add another new hotel has opened that is connected to the NT , it's the Hampton by Hilton , I haven't stayed there but had a quick peek at the reception / bar area last time I was up there and it's very nice and extremely close if you just have to pass through security for your flight .
I've always found Premier Inn consistently good and comfortable when using them , and Lenny Henry always seems quite pleased and happy :tup They get 2 simple things correct a good bed and clean bathroom which for the saver prices is great value and therefore customer satisfaction .
I've stayed in a few Travelodges and generally found them to be grotty, I only use them as an absolute last resort. I also generally find them to be more expensive than Premier Inns.

Lost count of the number of Premier Inns I've stayed in, they are my first choice when looking for somewhere to stay for a night or two. When booking, tick the 'flexible dates' box and you'll see the prices for pre-paid rooms, often as low as £29.

Another brand I like is Ibis Budget, very basic but nice, bright rooms, most of which are newly-renovated.
You have got around a bit though Pippy :rofl

Are you still following the mighty MUSE?
Kiltman HT Mod wrote:
You have got around a bit though Pippy :rofl

Are you still following the mighty MUSE?

:D
Actually, no, I didn't like the direction they took with the last album. I still go to lots of Kasabian gigs though and have also seen a new band, Temples, thirty-three times in the last fourteen months ;)
I have stayed in both premier inns and Travelodge’s, i think you have to admit that they are not exactly the life of luxury. You pay for what you get so if they are lacking in certain features its because they are the cheaper option. In my opinion, Premier Inns are for me a better option than Travelodge’s because most of them have somewhere to eat and have a pint, i don’t think the is much different between the rooms.
we stayed in the premier inn at Gatwick once and although it was clean+tidy,good service excellent location and price we did however have to complain about the lack of sleep we had due to being in a room with a connecting door which we could hear next door talking normal voice at 2am when they arrived.
We love premier inn's. We got one in London for 3 nights including breakfast for £78 each for 6 of us which we all thought was reasonable. This year I managed to get 3 nights including breakfast for £280 and as we know the location and we felt really safe, we're happy to return.

Before PI, we loved Express by Holiday Inn but we found they were getting more expensive. We've stayed in a few Travel Lodges. First one was ok for £44 but felt it a bit cramped with our travel cot etc.The next one we stayed in was fine for the first night but the second night it was obvious someone was smoking in one of the rooms and it was minging. The last one we stayed at was only because it was such a reasonable price and between the 2 locations for an overnight stop. We couldn't wait to get away. The kids always ask for a premier inn. I think it's the cooked breakfast's which take it for my 2 and the fact they don't have to share a bed.

Novotel was the other hotel which gave them single beds.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.