General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
To a certain point it depends what it is ......... so a bit more info from you would be helpful.

Firstly, make sure you have enough meds to cover the whole of your absence plus 1 or 2 days spare in case of altered plans or delays.

Carry all medicines in their original containers, plus the prescription for these medications from your doctor - or a photocopy. If you are talking about LIQUID medications, first of all DO NOT DECANT your medicine into another container. It must travel in the container it was issued in, EVEN IF the size of the medication container is more than the 100 ml currently allowed. Again you need to have your prescription with you, and it would be sensible to have a letter from your doctor, even if you have to pay for it, explaining that you need to carry this medicine with you at all times when travelling. The rule is that up to 500 ml in a container of liquid medication may be carried as handbaggage as long as the passenger has a prescription in his/her name for this medication, and that this medication is in its original packaging.

(If you decant it, or tamper with the packaging, you may need to 'taste it' in front of security staff, which is very dangerous if you must not exceed a stated dose or a dose at a particular time, eg liquid antidepressants.)

Note that the security staff have the right to have your medicines checked by a qualified pharmacist before you travel if they have any doubts about the stated contents.

I hope this helps as a general rule, but please post details of the meds and container sizes if you have further doubts.

And please make sure that the medicines you are carrying are permitted by the country you are travelling to - Dubai has a horrendous list of prohibited medicines that we take regularly here as normal including codeine and antidepressant drugs.

If your question has bearing on carrying insulin and syringes, please check with your airline, because of course both are accepted if you need to dose yourself during your journey, but the prescription and doctor's letter are obligatory. Airlines can also make arrangements for keeping your insulin cool and disposing safely of used syringes.

If your prescribed medication includes stimulants for the treatment of narcolepsy or other complaints, requiring you to carry Modafinil and Provigil or medically-prescribed morphine, or other opiates you will need expert advice, which I am not qualified to give. But make sure you have done so well before you travel.
Hi Bejay! :wave:

Just a note of caution to people (sorry if this has been mentioned before)

Codeine is banned in some places - Dubai being one of them.
So if anyone is going there and takes Cocodamol/Solpadol etc, they are a no-no.
If you do want to/need to take them it would be best putting them in your suitcase.

(I take Solpadol and so until such time as I don't need them anymore, Dubai is one place I won't be going. :( )
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.