Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Thank you for that information, Sue. It could prove very useful and save someone a lot of money.

Like you I am surprised Celebrity will retrospectively apply any price decrease. It seems a strange thing to do when the prices are fluid but very good for the clued up customer. Having had the price of a cruise I've been on drop by 50% I know just how annoying and frustrating it can be.

Does anyone know of any other cruise lines which have this pricing policy?
Thanks for the post. I am not absolutely sure but I think my TA said that Princess will also do so.
I will ask her the next time I call her.

The point of the price drop is that unless you check(or if you are fortunate to have a TA who will do this for you) X or RCI will only do so if you ask. However from my experience on this cruise I will always be keeping a close eye on pricing in the future.

Sue
Thanks keelaleva2, this is most useful. I posted a review in another cruising heading that you had said something. Think it was "help me find the perfect cruise" or similar. Mentioned there that I have booked 2 cruises, one with Celebrity , the other RCI. The prices I got were unbelievably good as they have a Jan/Feb promotion going.

You are obvioualy well "clued up" and I will remember your advice in future. Many thanks.
Hi Sue and welcome to HT!

Many thanks for posting this information as it will assist members and hopefully save them some money!

luci :wave
Many thanks for the posts. I am glad that this information is useful to you. Had it not been for the Cruise Critic boards and the info there I would have just thought that we in the UK were treated differently. I am not sure if you know that US passengers can book their cruises pay a deposit and they have up to I think 90 days prior to cancel without loss of their deposit.

I know for a fact that some will book multiple cruises and then later sort out which on they are going to sail on. This closes accommodation to others but then you see when the time comes for final payment when these rooms are released back into the system.

When I am on board I take an option on a cruise I may be interested in. I speak to my Travel Agent before I go off. This option an be as much as 10-12-14 days. This guarantees that I will get the OBC. When I was on Century I thought I would once again do a Transatlantic in the spring. I took an option on Century with the booking for transfer to my Travel Agent in the UK. This gives you a reference no and should you change to another cruise or ship then the reference no is transferred to that booking
They can only book UK passengers cruise only. By transferring the booking to the UK TA you can then benefit from their discount normally aboout 10% I then sort out flights either with X or as in Sept last did a JET2 flight to Barcelona.

When I returned from holiday I realised that I was not so keen on the itinary so changed the booking to the Millennium
Yes I have learned things as I have gone along. e.g. best cabins on some ships. To avoid rooms ajacent to white area these will normally be service areas and may be noisy. Not to be at the very front as you can have noise every time early in the am you arrive in Port. To avoid areas below things like the casual dining as there can be noise early in the am.

I have learned to know what I want and then to go out and get it. e.g.For my Millennium cruise X booked me on a Delta Flight via Atlanta to Miami. I looked at BA fliights out of Heathrow and flights from Leeds/Bradford and aked my TA to get X to agree to change it. Last year I was booked to go to Houston via Chicago but I went with BA direct from Gatwick. The only flight that was non stop.

I hope that this info is useful also and yes I am very good at finding bargains and I do like to share that and have others benifit also.

Sue
Forgotten to mention something which some people may have a perceived conception about.
Celebrity Princess and RCI may not be any more expensive than say Thomson etc. You can have a 4* 5* cruise for the same and sometimes even less.
Cruises are exceptional value for money.

Sue
But dont forget Thomsons dont require tips and sometimes have all inclusive drinks package thrown in.last year we went on the P&O Oceana and were expected to pay £7.50 a day tips similar to most of the American ships.

Its always a bit of a gamble.
Kavmick :? :?
Yes Kavmick, fair point. I have sailed on the thomson spirit, and would not hesitate to do so again at the right price....but, if someone had offered me a Honda Accord for the same price as the Honda Civic that I drive there would only have been one choice!
this is interesting as I was told last year by RCI that they did not honour them - have another cruise booked this year with them so will keep an eye out and try again
Thanks for your post. If you look at the booking conditions then it says that if the price drops by greater than 2% they will reduce your fare also. I know that some people have had trouble getting Celebrity staff in the UK to agree to this but it would appear to be that they just don't know.

I know one or two people had to be persistant but in the end they had the reduction applied to their booking. If you have booked with a Travel Agent they will need to do this for you. Someone I know had a problem with their TA who knew that they would lose a little bit of commission by reducing the price.

I was looking at Cruise Critic last night and there were several people who were talking about Carnival and obviously they will also apply price reductions. Sometime when they had made their final payment this was given as OBC or by an upgrade.

Just keep your eyes open. After the time when I got the reductions around 11-12 weeks prior to travel there were 4 in a 10 period and then that was that. I was booking with a single supplement and there have been cases of GTY coming up or further reductions for double occupancy which didn't show on the single.
I am very happy with my final price as I upgraded by 2 grades to a CC room fron a grade 2B balcony and still saved around £470 in the end.
The information regarding the price drops in the UK came from my TA so it is out there for the asking.

Good luck and happy cruising.

Sue
brill thanks Sue - I love RCI theyre FAB!!!
In the US we can cancel a booking for a 7 day cruise which is more than 70 days away,with no penalty. For the 4 day cruises it's 60 days.
All Us Passengers who book cruises can have all their deposit refunded or make a change of booking without penalty. This is up to final payment. They will often book several cruises and perhaps several rooms and then decide at the last minute which ones they prefer.
I am on the Millennium T/A in March and someone on the CC boards held both the Millennium booking as well as the Galaxy T/A. He then waited for what he considered the best deal and cancelled the Galaxy.
This seems to be a common occurance. I have also read that some US travel agents will book all the aft balcony and FV rooms on the first day of release and then hold them for their clients. It makes it difficult for us to get access to them.
Some people in the UK are now using US TA without problems. One has been recommended to me but I am not really happy to do this for now at least.
It all sounds like we are penalised. I don't know if anyone knows that if you become a member of Aeroplan Celebrity is a preferred partner and will you will be awarded 200 airmiles per night. My 15n will give me 3000 miles Not bad!

Sue
Have been following this posting with interest. We have usually booked cruises on-line. Would you now say it might be better to go through a travel agent in the future. Our friends who live in Orlando often tell us of the great deals they get for cruises, but when we check prices from here in the UK the cost can soar quite dramatically even taking airfares into consideration. Maybe we should be asking them to book our cruises!

Babs135
Hi I am not sure what is best but I have used the same Travel Agent for some years now and I always feel that I get the best deal possible from her.
When I am looking I price around perhaps after I have spoken to her but sometime not until afterwards. She will match or beat the best price I have obtained and she will often give me a little more if I ask for it.

I don't book directly with Celebrity or Princess or whichever line I am booking as the Travel Agent will give you a 10% discount on their price. Bear this in mind if you are looking at the web site for the cruise company. Sometimes you can get some On Board Credit from the TA or from the Cruise company. I will take an option on another cruise whilst I om board Millennium and this will give me a $200 OBC. I have $200 for my upcoming cruise as I took an option whilst I was on Century last September.

US TA are not allowed to discount the cruise by Celebrity RCI etc but they will give their clients gifts eg Wine etc. or they will give them OBC and other perks. They seem to deal by email with their clients who are in the UK or Europe and tickets are done by Electronic email and download. From what I am told by people who use them they have no problem and one in particular who is used by quite a few people on the Roll Call for my cruise critic board are finding the this TA will keep an eye on the price and then email them and adjust the price for them without needing to do anything. She also seems to get these particularly sought after aft rooms as they have huge balconies. I have emailed her and asked for a price on the cruise I am interested later in the summer. Don't know yet what I will do just see how the price is.

I think my advice would be to do your homework but think about what works for you and then make a decision. For me I will continue to look for the best deal I can get for a cruise I am interested in. I have had an email today for a TA whose mailing list I am on and they are offering a good single price for a 10 night crusie on Splendour of the Seas. She used to be MY SHIP and I cruised on her often but not over the past 4 years or so since I moved up to Celebrity and I have cruised Princess. I normally have several cruises in a year so it is important to get the right deal especially as I am also paying a single supplement. Millennium will be my 3rd cruise in 9 months but I love it and would cruise more often if I could.

Just get out there and enjoy every minute of it!

Regards Sue
Keelaleva, you talk so much sense in this forum! 8) Must say am interested in what you say about locking into free OBC :D on board, for a future cruise. Having said that we have booked the 12 night Baltics cruise on Century, sailing from Amsterdam on 27 June, and got an unbelievable deal :lol: of £999 each, flying from Edinburgh, for inside cabin directly opposite the most expensive suite on the ship (on Penthouse Deck). For another £100 each we get 2 nights in a 5 star hotel in Amsterdam, which Celebrity use for their American guests. So we have a full 2 week break, 4.5/5 star in every sense for £1099 each:wink:.

You mention having already sailed on Century, have you posted a review anywhere as I greatly respect what you write? This will be our first Celebrity cruise, although have sailed on QM2 and HA Noordam which were both superb.

Thanks.
Thank you for your kind words. Not sure that I deserve them mind you. I have not written a review anywhere but if you go over to the Cruise Critic site you will see many reviews.
My own take is that Century is a medium size rather Elegant ship. She has just undergone a 55M $ refit and so is in excellent condition. Rooms for inside outside and balcony including CC are of a good size 174sm larger than on the older RCI.
The rooms are very comfortable and the beds and bedding excellent. The bathroom are average size and have a larger than usual shower. They have good lighting and plenty of mirrors as also has the room. The public rooms are comfortable but the ship is not so glitzy as other lines More understated elegance which I enjoy. The art work is a bit too way out for me but interesting.
The dining is refined in the main dining room and the Murano I would highly recommend. The standard of the food the attention to detail and the service outstanding. There is a cover charge of $30 but I think that it is worth it for the experience You can do another menu which has wine pairing for each course but it is I think around $100 each. They are serving $400 bottles of wine but this would not be for me.
I would book as soon as you can because it does fill up. I would book for a non formal night as the food in the dining rooms is always a gala night and Lobster etc served. They have retained their Sommeliers which most lines are doing away with. I hear talk also that the Dance Hosts are also going.
The aqua spa cafe is a nice place for lunch breakfast or just a bite. The food is prepared and served by the staff from the Murano. There is not a big choice but the food is healthy and delicious.
The Ocean Cafe is large but there is no problem with seating. The waiter will take your tray and walk you to a table and then bring anything else that you wish. The buffet is the normal array but in the morning they have the most devine Waffles! They serve these with warm blueberries strawberries maple syrup fresh cream amongst other. They serve up until 10am. At lunch time and for the remainder of the day and into the late night they serve pizza and pasta. There is a sandwich bar and also a grill but I didn't use these. At around 5pm they serve sushi again I am not a big fan. The Cova Cafe is another lovely place to people watch have a coffee which you have to pay for but the pastries and the cakes are free. You can actually ask for a cake and eat it or take it away.

Most days I have a breakfast in my room and I often add things I wish that are not on the menu but they almost always send me.
Room service which you can order on the interactive TV or by telephone is good and prompt in my experience. There is a good variety of things to order and you can order from the dining room menu at dinner time.
The entertainment is polished and varied. Their is a cinema which shows new films etc. I always enjoy the String Quartets on the ship and during the evening the play in the restaurant and at the Cova Cafe area. The Murano has a Harpist and this is also a quiet relaxed place to be.

They have speakers more so on T/A my cruise on Galaxy had Patrick Jehson not sure of the spelling Diana's Private Secretary for 5 years I think. There were some classical concerts during the day. Wonderful Chinese Violinist etc.

I think most of all what Celebrity are famed for is attention to detail. The little touches like a glass of champagne to welcome you on board. The walking you to your room and explaining where things are etc. Thd cold towels on returning from excursions and water etc. The use of umbrella tote bags which you keep oops not the umbrella!
You have a room steward and his assistant and nothing is too much trouble. Someone said on a review on H/T that the ship is run by American. I can guarantee absolutely that you will never find an American is any of the Hotel positions other than entertainment. The hotel manager when I was on Galaxy was an Englishman and o Century a Liverpool lass who had just been promoted. Pursers and front of house are international staff. Chefs and Housekeeping and all other positions of authority are European or international.
My last time on Millennium the Hotle Manager was an Italian. Their officers are Greek for the most part but I can't guarantee what nationality the deck and marine staff certainly not American!

I think that you will enjoy Century and that you have got an excellent price for the Baltic. I had a look at the web site today and the prices are much higher. You have probably got a consolidated price from a TA who knows that they can sell a certain no of cruises. Price is led by demand and Century is less expensive than Constellation. I did the Baltic cruise about 8 years ago and the following year I did the North Cape which I loved also. Baltic States I loved St Pete's Tallin and Stockholm especially.
If you are interested in cruising then T/A prices are excellent and they do offer the benefit of longer cruises with lovely long sea days. If you choose the south Atlantic route then the weather can be wonderful. I am always just happy to be aboard whatever and where ever.
If there is anything else you would like to know just ask or give me your email address and I will try to help.
Hope this is some of what you wanted to know. Have a good weekend everyone

Sue
You can always add your reviews HERE ;)
if the ship isn't listed, let us know and we will add it for you.

Reviews are really valuable in helping members make their minds up about their holidays.

TIA

Kath x

PS If you exchange any email addresses, please do so via PM - for security purposes ;)
Hi again. Thank you for your comment re reviews etc.

I forgot to discuss the On board credit issue. There are 2 ways to get on board credit.
The cruise company may give you OBC as an incentive to book a cruise with them
They want to have you as a loyal passenger and they will give you OBC if you book a further cruise whilst you are on their ship.
Celebrity and I suspect most of the other American cruise lines will only be able to book you cruise only whilst you are on board.
You can opt for a definite cruise and make a booking and then sort out your flights when you get home OR
Do as I do get a price for the cruise before I go and remember that when you book through a TA you will in almost all cases get a 10% discount from them.
I then decide on taking an option on a cruise or if uncertain you can hold an option on several cruises and you can nominate which travel agent you wish to use in the UK or you can let the option go through and then sort out and pass this to any travel agent you wish. They will gladly take on the booking and give you a discount.
The option will usually be 10-14 days or however long you need. In fact the TA or you can extend that option when you get back.
You can in fact decide to book another cruise on another ship on another date altogether. It is wide open

THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT IS THAT YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT THE BOOKING REFERENCE ON THE PAPERWORK THE SHIP WILL GIVE YOU BE TRANSFERRED TO WHICHEVER CRUISE YOU DECIDE ON.

If not then they will not honour this OBC. I had taken an option on the April T/A on Century but when I looked at the ports I decided to book on the Millennium instead.
The amount of OBC depends on the lenght of the cruise -5 days $50
-9 days $100 and +9n $200.
This is shown on your account once you board the ship and can be used for anything. I use mine to pay for the gratutities and it still leaves a bit over. I had $250 on my last cruise.
This time I will take an option on another probably around September and possibly Century or even Galaxy.
Galaxy is about 11 years old and has yet to be refurbished so is showing some signs of wear but I had a fantastic cruise 17nights Houston to Rome last May. I was paying a single supplement but I had the cruise 1 night hotel in Houston air with British Airways to Houston and return from Rome. 16 nights on the ship for £1159. The cruise element was only £600+ and had it been for double occupancy it would have cost around £330 per person. I loved every minute of it!
What attracts me to the Galaxy is that it is a very nice itinery but I have time to make up my mind.
I am also looking at Emerald Princess in the Med but she might be too large for me.

There is yet another way to get OBC with X and RCI and that is to own stock. If you buy a 100 shares then each time you cruise they give you and OBC which is for 9+ night $250.
I think the shares are around $43 currently. This would only be a good idea if you know that you are going to cruise often and with their company.
The other way to receive OBC is of course if you Travel Agent is kind enough to give you something as a thank you for booking with them.
Remember there is no benefit in waiting to book as if the price comes down you can have this reduction applied to your booking.
To check just look at the web site at the cruise price only disregard the tax and the flight costs.
Now look at your invoice from the cruise company. It is broken down in the same way and if the cruise price is less than on that invoice get your TA or if booked directly with the Cruise company then make that call and get that discount. I would know not of this had I not read it on Cruise Critic and asked my TA what our position in the UK was. Now numerous others have received that price reduction also. Remember that prices are fluid with some companies and can go up as well as down.

Thats about it I think. Any questions I will be happy to clarify.

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.