General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Re: Prickly heat
313 Posts
I always suffer from PLE when on holiday and last year went to a pharmacy in Ibiza and asked them to help. They gave me a mild steroid cream spray (hydrocortisone) and it worked! I will make sure I have some with me whenever I go away again. Tried asking GP for steroid tablets but she wouldnt give me any :(
I have been advised to buy some sun tan lotion WITHOUT water protection, but can't find any. Can anyone help?
It could be that they mean water resistant rather than waterproof. I recently bought the Boots Soltan Sensitive Hypoallergenic as they state it protects against sun allergy:-

http://www.boots.com/en/Soltan-Sensitive-Hypoallergenic-Suncare-Lotion-SPF30-200ml_1207170/?cm_mmc=pla-_-google-_-PLAs-_-PLAs+-+All+Products

(There's other strengths available)
Have you used it yet Glynis?
Thats the lotion my daughter is thinking of buying. When she was younger she just had to step out of the door and came in with a golden tan, but after a bout of glandular fever when she was 17, she has been left with loads of allergies. She tried Piz Buin allergy lotion and ended up covered from head to toe in prickly heat so now shes wary of trying other stuff.
I go this Saturday Sheeshon, so if your daughter can wait until I'm back on 12th July I'll let you know. I've stopped using Piz Buin after I read that it can cause a rash as I've had it twice now. I did some snooping on the net & the Soltan came recommended so am giving it a whirl.

I'm taking antihistamines at the moment and will take one daily whilst I'm away too.
I've used nothing but the Soltan sensitive that Glynis suggeats above for years since my skin became very sun sensitive as a result of a hormone imbalance (my ovaries where pumping out too much oestrogen but that is another story!) and have never had a problem with it. I use 15 SPF as a matter of course even in a Scottish summer and never less than 30 SPF when in Cuba and find it excellent. She might also want to investigate the range of sun protection for the face from No7.

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/EndecaSearchListerView?categoryParentId=&storeId=10052&searchv2=true&categoryId=345343&N=4294567742+4294957711&catalogId=11051&langId=-1#container

It too is hypoallergenic and provides the same level of protection as the Soltan but has a lighter texture and rubs in easily.

As with all sun protection you do need to use it as per the instructions and that means using far more of it than most people do but in my experience as long as you do re-apply as frequently as they recommend then it really does work.

SM
I've got a 30 & 15 SMa. Glad to hear it works for you, will let you know on my return :tup
We don't go until 31st July, so we'll wait to hear from you. My daughter has to take antihistamines every day or she'd end up coughing, sneezing and covered in various rashes.
Nice to know it works for you SMa. I never know what to believe with product reviews, I often think they're written by someone from the company.
I can assure you that I don't work for Boots :D but I have found their sun creams a godsend and would be reluctant to try anything else now in case it didn't work as well. This discussion has reminded me that I must stock up now for Cuba in September while its on offer :tup

SM
We've tried the Boots Soltan sensitive range and that didn't help.

Now looking for something that has no water proofing / resistance at all. Used to be something that was offered as an extra, but now seems to be standard.
Could certainly take a look. Open to any suggestions at the moment. Can't believe I can't find non-water resistant cream anywhere!
Well I'm back and so was the rash :duh I sent a photo of it to my friend who thinks its vasculitis, commonly known as Golfers Foot. Apparently it can be caused through walking a lot in the heat. We do tend to walk a lot so she's probably right. :(
Welcome back Glynis.
i hope the rash didn't spoil your holiday. What a shame the Soltan didn't work for you. We've been looking at the Eucerin range in Boots and online, they do one especially for sun allergies. Its quite pricy but would be worth it if it works.
According to my daughter the sun reflects off her because she is so pale!!!
Thanks Sheeshon :tup the rash doesn't itch but it looks nasty and can sting when hot. It's only on the inside of my right leg, just above my ankle and is a couple of inches in diameter. But it seems it's not creams that's the cause as that's the only place it ever materialises. I still took antihistamines daily & applied an allergy cream morning & night.

This isn't my leg but it shows the rash:-

http://s629.photobucket.com/user/Olschnoegger/media/DSC03273.jpg.html
That looks like what the OH gets. Must be a cure somewhere.
Mobor One wrote:
That looks like what the OH gets. Must be a cure somewhere.

Was was thinking about your OH whilst I was away and did wonder if they had the same thing as me. Does your OH walk a lot on holiday too?
Doesn't walk too much, but does like to sit in the sun.

I bought some of this http://www.uvistat.com/ to see if that works.
My daughter used the Soltan sensitive while we were away. It appeared to be working great, but the day before we came home she made the mistake of falling asleep on her front lying on a sunbed, resulting in a slight prickly heat rash all over her stomach and chest area. However she says she would use it again as usually she just has to step outside and shes itching
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.