Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Caron

My wife suffers badly from Prickly heat and we too "discovered" Aloe in Jamaica.

We haven't yet found the plant itself in Goa but think this is because the Goans don't understand what we are asking for. It is certainly found wild in Asia so I would be surprised if it didn't grow wild in Goa.

Most chemists sell a cream that is like 90% Aloe with 10% water and worked very well.
:( hiya do you know (names) of anything you can get in the uk for prickly heat my daughter suffers terrible with this, thanks :oops:
piriton tablets they prescribe in ere , over the counter at chemists
:D thanks ladyjan for that at the moment she takes neo/clairtyn for it but i was hopeing for names of creams or lotions you can get here :D
Fritz thanks for your reply has took me all day to get back on site could not conect to server and im not recieving emails. I do use an aloe vera cooling spray (the aftersun no ads from Asda) but its not as good as the real thing, perhaps when im in Goa i will draw the locals a picture knowing my drawing they will bring me a spider.
Maggie, I also take claritin and find it does help i used to double up the dosage until a lady who worked in a pharmasy told me how dangerous it was, so now im desperate, I spray the aloe spray on me all through the day it helps a little but not a lot. I even get prickely heat at home when i get overheated without being in the sun, all over my chest its great, so there is little hope for me. When i was on holiday a skin care rep told me that sun tan product with aloe in the first 3 ingredients works well, she sold me some and it did work but I have never been able to find it again. So if anyone out there can help me or Maggies daughter we would be very gratefull.
ps sorry about the spelling folks :oops:
Maggie forgot to say in my previous post, do not use ointments or creams as these trap in moisture and heat, on my last holiday I used a medicated talc and this was great for the itching but not a cure, I really dont think one exists.
I too was introduced to aloe vera in jamaica and it is wonderful on sunburn, I'm sure i saw the plant in goa in the garden below us, and will have a look whilst out there.

caron i also had trouble all day getting on the site kept showing server unavailable, though it was just me.
:D thanks caron an lin :D the only really medicated talc i know is cuticura, talc, we could try thati know talc cools you down a little, also nicola my daughter said a while ago that pizz buin!!!(sorry for spelling!!) sun tan lotion did help but it wasnt one in the brown bottle i think she said it was green,and she sed that did help a littel

p,s i had trouble all day getting on this site as well lin :evil: :evil:
Caron

I think my wife might still have a tube at home left over from November. I'll have look and see if I can find a name and ingredients for you tonight
Maggie I just went to a chemist and asked for medicated talc, cant remember the make it may just have been superdrugs own, I have tried the Piz Brun(?) in the brown bottle for allegies and sensitive skin but that did not work at all, never seen the green one will have to look out for it.
Fritz let us know what that cream is please. thank you
Hi I discovered Aloe Vera in Sri-lanka 18 months ago one of our beach friends upol, brought it to our hotel to cure my burnt forehead and it worked a treat.
From then on I have grown a very big aloe plant in my dinning room, I am off to Goa in 6 weeks and I will be cutting off a stem to take with me it is wonderful stuff especially after refrigiration so soothing
If your at the holiday inn in 6 weeks i will share it with you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nessa that really is teasing us now. I will be in Goa in 6wks so I may take you up on your offer, I fly on the 9th April, is the Taj village any where near to The Holiday Inn?
Where did you get your plant from, are they easy to grow? would love one of my own. :D
when in Goa go to the pharmacy and buy anti histamine tablets, take 1 a day and no more prickly hit.
Sorry Guys but the wife used the last of her Aloe before we left India in November.

She says it was actually a gel and that she bought it the Elephant shop near the T junction in Candolim.

Is there anything that the Elephant shop doesn't sell?
Never mind Fritz I will visit the elephant shop thanks anyway.
My mum used to suffer badly from prickly heat and has found that it is brought out worse with the use of sun tan lotions... I know it would be silly to go out in the sun without protection but she is quite dark skinned and can get away with using oil instead - failing that she swears by Dove shower gel... It seems to work as well for her prickly heat and to keep the mosies away!!! 8)
I suffer each year with prickly heat, Aloe vera gel is very good, I have used it as an after sun cream and has worked well on my skin. I too suffer badly if I use sun oils or creams, so I try not to use any and if I do its because I've burnt and then I will use a total block for a day. I also try and stay in the shade during the hottest hours of sun, you will still get a tan. I tan easy and even if I spend half the holiday in the shade, I still go home browner then most.
Paula
Just had a look at tube of De Vere Aloe Vera skin care gel made by Aloe Vera Limited. It has 97 % aloe vera oil in it. I bought mine from hospital after laser treatment and it is wonderful. I am sure you can get it at chemists too. De Vere also do Aloe Vera Rich Skin Cream with Vitamin E.

Aloe Vera plants - my kitchen it overflowing. They grow really well and multiply too quickly for me to use. Will pass some on if anybody needs any but I am in Cornwall. PM me if interested.

Cic
Caron - Thanks for PM. Just PM me when your friends come down here and I'll gladly pass on a plant for you. Will also then let you have my address or arrange for meeting point.

I hope you get on OK in Goa.

Cic
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.