Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Vicky
the aftersun does help with the itching but doesnt cure it like the the fresh Aloe plant.
caron
i get prickly heat real bad which is not helped by the synthetic sun lotions last year in the dom republic i got a rash that totaly dried out my skin that i had to get steriod cream from the doctors.
so i am very keen to find out more on this subject as with natural sun protection other than covering up.
i will certianly be seeking out that garden center for that price you dont mind passing it on to fellow sufferers
derek :oops:
:D :D i went on ebay to look at the aloe vera plants and theres only 2 on at the momemt and i went on a link i was given by caron i think and the postage was £5 so it made it £15 bit expensive for me so i thought id ring my garden centre across the road to see if he could get me one and guess what!???????????? he had 3 in and it cost me £7,50 and its massive its got leaves about 10 leaves that are about 18inches long!!!!! so for the price of the one on ebay i could of got 2!! and this one looks well bigger with more leaves on a bit of luck at last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ghug
Well done Maggie!! I did think it was a bit expensive £5 p&p but it was really wrapped well, and at the time I was desperate, and i can never wait for anything got to have it NOW, but I still think it was well worth the money I would pay anything not to have prickely heat it looks so attractive all over my chest and shoulders great big ripe weeping lumps :yuck :yuck
hi this might sound daft but
how would you apply aloe vera from plant source :?:
how many leaves would you need for a 2 week stay :?: :?:
how do you keep leaves fresh :?:
thanks
derek
Hi Derek
You would need about 2 to 3 leaves nice fat ones, wrapped in cling film, make sure they are well wrapped as they leak and will stain, keep them in the fridge. Cut a pease (1 to 2 inch) off and slit down the sides then down the middle, rub the jucie all over, it feels sticky for a few mins but then it dries and a little goes a long way. Its also good for sun burn and as an insect repelant.
thanks caron
wasnt such a daft question after all
derek
No such thing as a daft question !!
thanks caron thats good news but now i will have to search for the illusive daft question
now all i need is a plant
derek
i have a few aloe vera plants, but will the leaves be ok for the flight? they wont dry up or anything? also i just thought we're going to santiago which is all inclusive so no fridge im guessing! damn it!
hiya sunbeam i stayed at the santiago in january this year pm if you want any info on it as for the aloe vera what i would do is break you leaf off and lightly wrap in tin foil and then put in in one of them snapit bags then it wont dry out and put in the fridge yep santiago do have fridges maggieomx
Just been in Holland & Barrett and they have Aloe Vera Gel (99%) at a special price of £2.49.

I know it's not the same as a proper plant but I think I'll give it a go for that price.
i think at that price i will give it a go as well i am sure i will get a chance to test it before i go to goa
derek :idea:
I have been given an aloe vera plant any tips
how to look after it :lol:
This is what came with mine:
1 give your plant the sunniest position you can.
2 water in the spring summer about once every 1-2 weeks,when the soil has dried out.
3 in the winter (oct-Mar) your plant needs to be kept in a cool position above freezing, with little or no water.
4 Feed your plant regularly when in active growth. Use a low nitrogen feed (chempack 8 is good)
5 Re-pot your cactus when it has out grown the pot.
6 As a guide 3 parts potting compost plus one part coarse grit will work well for most plants.

Hope this is some help to you !
  • Edited by caron 2005-04-01 18:04:45
Gardener
have used a 99.9% aftersun before not really much help, but I know the cream/lotion you are talking about is quite good, one of my ladies used it on an itchy rash on her legs , so you will have to let us know how you get on.
Thanks caron for your tips
cmj :wave
hi caron
you go soon dont you :?:
i will look forward to hearing how you get on with the application of aloe vera when you get back
derek
have a great time
Thanks Derek I go on saturday cant wait :yipee I have used Aloe before it works a treat the only time I never suffered from prickley heat, i have tried loads of other stuff some help some are no good but there is nothing like the real thing. Will let you know how I get on though xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.