Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
debgreg02 - try Boots Soltan sensitive suncream, white bottle. Excellent stuff for skin allergies. Sorted me out a treat!
I have used Soltan Once and still got burnt, maybe I didn't use it right :que It is very thick and takes ages to rub in.
I have to admit that I don't really feel comfortable trying the one a day suntan lotion. I think I just wouldn't feel safe. I hate all the palavar of putting on lotion umpteen times in a day so it would be nice if there was a make I thought I could trust :)
:tup

My partner uses piz buin once a day, he suffers with vitiligo(sp) so as a lot of skin with out any pigmentation for yrs and yrs befor he met me which is about( four yrs ago) he would have to sit under the shade all day as he would burn really bad even with this total block stuff which he said he hates to where cuz it was so thick, But i talked him into trying p20 to start with and his life changed he loves his holidays now and goes at least 3 times a yr and sunbathes and swims and walks around now without burning its a new lease of life he says, he now uses the piz buin as it smells nicer and dose not stain. there as been the odd time that he as thought he mite be burning and as put some more on accross his shoulders but other than that its just once a day, we had heard about the boots one not being to good so he won`t even enertain it which i cant blame him he told me he had spent lots of time in hospital because of bad burns. I hope this info helps everyone out there as i say it works for him but caution should always be taken.

Pip
x :sun2
oh that's interesting Pip. My father has the same problem and can get into a right mess- even just in a sunny day in Aberdeen). Must tell him to try P20.
Living here my husband has suffered from bad prickly heat for years due to the humidity, but relief at last there is a tablet (dont know if you can get it in uk with or without prescription) called FLUCONAZOLE 150mg and now he takes it once a week and no prickly heat rash at all brilliant made a hell of a difference to his life worth checking out (and no side affects folks)
are you all sure it is prickly heat?? My OH suffered for years and tried all sorts of lotions and potions to no avail. About 8 years ago there was an article in the Daily Mail headed 'prickly heat' or is it. We read it and agreed that everything they said applied to my hubby - he has an allergy to the sun!! To be sure we sent for the book and still drew the same conclusionThis is now overcome with a couple of doses of prednisolone as soon as the rash starts to appear and the rest of the holiday he is fine. Our GP wasn't happy to prescribe this steroid so we purchased our own supply in Goa. He now seems to be cured as there has been no sign of this rash the past 2 trips. Fingers crossed ....

Holiday truths would like to make it clear that it does not endorse this action of going against a doctor's advice. All members should seek advice from their own GP or local Pharmacist before taking any medication, or acting on non-professsional medical advice. Taking medication which a doctor is unwilling to prescribe could lead to very serious side effects.
Hi Goanluv, I was given prescription for Preznidone while in Australia a few years ago, and the GP made it quite clear that you had to ween yourself off the tablets. I had to take 2 the first day ,1 the second day, and 1/2 a tablet day 3, after day 3 I was prickly heat/sun allergy free.The Preznidone certainly work but when I asked my GP for them a couple of years later he told me there was no way he'd give me them '' because it was like taking a sledge hammer to crack a walnut'' I went to see a dermatologist and he advised a couple of things to try which I am glad to say have done the trick. Anyone who suffers with the condition (or who's O/H suffers) will know that you will try anything to cure it as it really can ruin your hols....
Keith...
My husband was prescribed this medication by a dermo here after several consultations, it would appear we FNs suffer with various skin complaints due to the sun/humidity etc and they are often caused by fungal infections,blocked sweat glands :tongue and it clears up with he goes in the sun he gets it only in the hotter months april/may and in monsoon when the humidity is high.
Keith
I'm glad you have reported that advice from your GP. I have heard some alarming reports about the side effects( and not all second hand either) which would support what he/she said about using a sledge hammer.
HT cannot really support any discussion on the forums of a medication that a GP has adviced against.
called FLUCONAZOLE 150mg and now he takes it once a week and no prickly heat rash at all brilliant made a hell of a difference to his life worth checking out (and no side affects folks)

Apparently this drug is designed to combat fungal infections (I don't know if prickly heat comes under that heading).
As far as no side effects, an article in Wickipedia claims that it can increase/ exacerbate cardiac arrythmia and can alter the effects of other medicines..

Self diagnosis and prescription can be fatal, by all means listen to other peoples advice but always check with your GP
Why pay for the NHS and then not use it?
I was NOT suggesting anyone should do as my OH did without seeking their GP's advice. I was trying to point out that what people think is prickly heat is not always that and that they should investigate other causes such as an allergy to the sun. My apologies to those of you who thought I was being irresponsible
I understand Goanluv
We do have to be very careful that people follow GPs advice. Dont be put off posting though :)
Goanluv, I didn't mean my post to imply that I thought that you were irresponsible.
Sorry if I have given that impression :(
i have suffered from heat rash/sun sensitivity for many years, but at last i have found sun creams that really help to prevent it.
Piz buin allergy sun cream must be at least factor 15 and avon sun sensitive allergy sun cream factor 25, i also take antihistamine that i purchased in spain they also help, make sure your sun cream is paba free and always apply at least half hour before stepping out into sun, never use a sun oil.
hope this helps
inger
Inger the advice I was given by the dermatologist I paid to see was, To have up to 6x 3 minute sessions on sunbed leading up to the holiday, Start a course of anti hystamaine tablets ( available to buy over the counter)1 a day the week before your hols, during your hols and for a week when you return.And to use PIZ BUIN ALLERGY sun lotion. I have been allergy/ tearing Itchy free since, the lotion was not cheap when it come onto the market ( I think it was about £15 for a tube) but I saw it on offer in Tesco the other day ( £5 ) and bought enough to last me for a good few hols. It has to be the ALLERGY lotion ( as they also do one thats Sahara Tested) they both look the same but the Sahara tested one doesnt work...
Hope this helps ..KEITH
Keith you are so right, the sun bed session gets the skin used to the heat in small doses, and I do realise that antihistamine tabs should be in the system a few days before you go I do that too.
If you get the avon sun allergy cream it works just as well as the expensive Piz Buin just recently i purchased 2 bottles for £7 buy one get one free offer factor 25 and 2 spray ones factor 15 for the same price, try it and so much cheaper.
Inger now free from the misery of heat rash /sun sensitivity!!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.