Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
sun lotion
178 Posts
Skin So Soft didn't work for either of us, we got bitten to :swear ! Got a couple of tubes of Odomos which wasn't too bad.
Hi all, read various times in this forum about Avon Skin So Soft / Soft & Fresh and how good it is at preventing bites.

Just wondered if people buy a cream? Or do they use the oil spray? Any scents better than others?

Cheers in advance :)
Hi Salford, I use the oil spray, it goes on quite dry so it doesnt leave a greasy feel. It definitely works.

More here - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=88162&highlight=avon
Thanks Elliebee :)
I think just with the words "oil" in it, it just sounds greasy, but glad to hear that it isn't :)
http://avonshop.co.uk/avonshop/product.asp?pf_id=4982&department=search&find_spec=soft
Salford
It's a DRY oil spray so it's not that greasy.

I've been using it for the last 13 years and it's a really good moisturiser after you've been in the sun.

I use after-sun, then Avon S-S-S then finish by using Autan spray.

I rarely get bitten.
We were in Corfu early June as lots of people got bitten badly but I got away with just one bite.

Polly
Cheers Polly :)
When looking for it online I came across someones blog entry that stated that the SAS use it as well :shock:
I used the dry oil this year, it's brilliant, I didn't get bitten after I had sprayed it, but a word of warning it made the tiles on the floor on the balcony really slippy where I had sprayed my legs.

Donna
XX
SSS
SSS is brilliant if you go out when the mossies are just lurking about after 8 p.m. Why put yourself in the situation when you can get bitten by them - go indoors at dusk- about 5.30 to 6pm and stay there and have a shower, a drink and listen to some music or watch a tv if you have one in your room. - go out about 8 p.m. - then the mossies will have eaten all the silly people who were out earlier.
If you stay at the beach for happy hour you won't get bitten as the mossies are not at the beach - they don't like the sea breezers - this is why you don't get bitten at the beach BBQ's
Donna I agree, Should have heard what Marian called me after I covered myself in it after a shower :yikes I didnt even know she could do a back flip followed by the splits! :oops: allan.
Avon skin so soft BOGOF in most recent brochure!
can anyone tell me which fragrance is best or do they all help against the mossies?
thanks
The light green coloured bottle is best for the mossies, thinks its dry oil spray.
I also buy a big tub of aloe vera in Goa. It's sold everywhere and is very cheap. I was really dissapointed to find out Avon no longer do the Skin So Soft "Soft & Fresh" (green bottle) body lotion. I usually take a couple of bottles to use as after sun. It keeps the mozzies away. They do however still do the Dry body oil. Hope this does the trick. Anybody got anyrecommendations on what body lotions you use that mozzies hate? 7 days to go!!!! Thanks Tracy :cheers
Hi all
We find the best thing to do is go to the local chemist in Goa and
ask his advice.He will give you the best local solution.
In November he advised us to use Lady Diana insect repellant
it was really good and it smelt nice and stopped us getting bitten.
Hope this helps :sun2 Pat
Has anybody used Boots own "Soltan Once"? It sounds like the Rieman P20 (brilliant stuff BTW) that I've used before, ie apply once lasts for hours type of thing.

I ask because at the moment Boots have their whole Soltan range buy one get one free. This works out one third the price per ml compared to the P20 so quite a saving.

Any views ?

Tight wad Rog :sun2
I'm not sure if they have changed the ingredients in SSS, I suspect they have as it didnt work for me this time. I used Boots own Tropical Formula it was fantastic. Its the one in the silver/grey packaging.
Just something to check about the Soltan ,how long before you can go out in the sun? the P20 used to be 90mins but the new formula is only 15mins(so much easier for me with my son) I know Calypso also do a once a day and it is only £5.99 but it has to be applied 90mins before. If this is not a problem then the cheaper option would probably work just as well :tup

On another note I got a really bad prickley heat rash whilst in Goa (still itching now),something that hasn't been a problem for me for about 15yrs :que
Debi
Hi Debi

Its just the 15 Minutes like the latest P20 before you go into the sun.

Given the price 2 x 250 ml for £18, (P20 is £20 for 200ml) I thought Id give it a go, It does give full protection against UVA and UVB unlike P20 which is only UVB.
However it is a thick cream consistency not like the thin liquid of the P20 so not sure how it will apply.
Anyway if it stops me going bright red on my first sight of the sun it'll be fine

Cheers
Lobster Rog :oops: :oops: :oops:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.