Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
We stayed at the Es Port in May and yes, there was quite a lot of construction work going on especially on the tunnel. However it did not spoil a really lovely holiday. The hotel is beautiful with very large gardens and lots of trees. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a junior suite which was well away from the construction work. We went half board but if we return we will probably just opt for b&b instead. It is just a few minutes stroll from the sea front with loads of places to eat. Breakfast at the hotel was absolutely fine but the evening meals were a little hit and miss - the most delicious puddings we have ever had in a hotel abroad though!! There were only a couple of very well behaved children when we were there but you might find a few more in peak time although this hotel is not really geared up for families.

I would have thought that most of the construction work will be finished by next August - the tunnel was certainly in the latter stages when we were there in May. It will make the sea front much nicer as it will take most traffic away from there.

I found that the Es Port were a little slow in replying to emails so I actually phoned them instead and they were very helpful - might we worth you phoning them and asking for the latest updates on the construction work. Also, we booked direct and they did not take any money until we checked in.

Puerto Soller is a lovely place to stay - the surrounding mountainous area is beautiful and you can hope on the tram to Soller and then the old train to Palma should you wish.

Hope this is of help,

Pippa
Thanks for the quick reply Pippa, much appreciated. We really had out heart set on Soller but just don't want to ruin our holiday if there is major construction.

If I can get a few alternative ideas from people on other resorts then it will help make a decision. I'm not sure where on the island would be comparable to Soller. I found a lovely hotel in old town Alcudia today but it has no pool which is prerequisite.

Hopefully someone can give me some other suggestions?! :D
Alcudia old town will be tricky - the hotels are all small, interior hotels. Lovely but quite expensive. Which did you look at? Cas Ferrer Nou has a small pool. Otherwise, you might like the coastal area north of the old town, e.g. Mal Pas, where there is the Hotel Mal Pas. Very quiet area if that's what you're wanting. In the port of Alcudia, the Alcudiamar Botel could be a possibility. It's in the marina, 4-star.

In Puerto Pollensa, have you considered the Illa d'Or or the Miramar? These are both in PP. If you want something really lavish, then there is the remarkable Son Brull outside of Pollensa old town; the town is wonderful, different to Soller, but still worthy of consideration.

Hope this helps.
The email address of the municipal information office in Soller is

MA.Mintour08@bitel.es

I would think that the tunnel work will be well on by next August, We go to the Eden in February and was there last February when the most work was taking place at the rear of the EsPort. The demolition work on the old Todo La Patria building in the port area was nearly complete in February.

The information office may be able to help you.

Good Luck

Dave.
Thanks again for the replies.

It was the Cas Ferrer Nou that I was looking at but on their website I was looking at it didn't mention a pool. How small is it? We just really want something to cool of in if we are sunbathing. It did look like a lovely hotel.

I have not researched Puerto Pollensa yet but will have a look at the two hotels you have suggested. As a town what is Puerto Pollensa like? Are there a good variety of restaurants etc (not the chips with everything type!).

Are there any other resorts we should be considering which would tick the boxes? In the past we have only visited Calla Millor, Calla D'Or and Alcudia.
Maybe I imagined the pool when I was shown around. I'll check for you.

Puerto Pollensa has a good selection of restaurants, by no means chips and everything. Some fine tapas places and others. As a place it is often considered to be a bit up-market compared to Puerto Alcudia, though how fair a comment that is I'm not so sure when one compares the actual port of Alcudia.

Forgot to also mention in Pollensa town the Posada de Lluc hotel. This is in the style of Nou in Alcudia - and definitely does have a pool!! - and Pollensa has some great restaurants, hardly a chip in sight.
Sorry, my mistake. I did imagine the pool at Nou.
Andrew, thanks a lot. The Posada de Lluc looks lovely. What is Pollensa town like have you stayed there yourself? Also is it walking distance to PP?

A lot of the other hotels suggested either don't have availability for our dates or are a bit out of our price range but Posada de Lluc seems very reasonable.
You could also try Son Baulo which is the quiet end of C'an Picafort. Some nice hotels there.
No, I've not stayed in Pollensa, but I know it well. It is arguably Mallorca's best small town, and I mean no disrespect to Soller or Alcudia when saying that; they too are excellent. Pollensa has a strong cultural heritage (in the first part of August there is the Patrona festival which is superb, and through August is the classical music festival and other more contemporary music events), a number of pleasant squares and some terrific restaurants. I can give you some recommendations if you wish, though I'm sure there are many on this site who will offer some good ones.

You can't walk to PP unless you like walking. Unlike Alcudia old town which joins onto the port area, Pollensa and PP are about 5 kilometres apart, but there are regular buses, assuming you don't have a car.

Just another idea - and a car here would be useful. Between PP and Pollensa lies Cala San Vicente, which has little to do but is a really pretty place. Hotels there that might appeal - La Moraleja, Niu and Cala San Vicente Hotel.

Perhaps - if it helps - there are some general websites for the area that can give you some more insight: INVALID URL http://www.thepollensaguide.com and the town hall's http://www.pollensa.com
Andrew,

I can't thank you enough for your help.

I have emailed Posada De Lluc for availability so hopefully there will be. Fingers crossed!

If not its back to the drawing board!

Thanks again, its much appreciated.

Darren
Glad to be of help, Darren, and good luck.

Just one observation - the front of the Posada is on a road (mainly of houses), so you might want to ask for a room at the back.
Well that is us booked with Posada De Lluc. Can't wait to go as it looks lovely and it ticks all the boxes of what we want this year. So thanks again....

Any recommendations for restaurants/things to do would be really appreciated if you can spare the time.

Thanks

Darren
Well that's great, Darren. I'm sure you'll really love the hotel and Pollensa. On the sites I mentioned there are quite a number of restaurants plus things to do. Personally - in Pollensa, both Can Costa and Trencadora are fantastic. Not cheap but excellent. Good very Mallorcan places could be Eu Centro or Bar Nou. But really there are loads of good places to eat.

Things to do locally - trip to Formentor if you can stand the hairy road, a walk up the Puig (mountain), and also up the Calvari steps in the town. For beaches, Puerto Pollensa is pretty good but generally avoid the smaller beach in front of the main promenade. There are also the smaller coves at Cala San Vicente. I guess if you put another thread for Pollensa advice or some such, you'll get a load more help.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.