Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi

The minimum age is 16 years old i'm afraid. Also you have to have a quad bike each and wear a helmet for safety. If, however you go with some other company, the chances are they will allow you a double quad, but mostly do not wear helmets and quads can be extremely old with bold tyres etc. So personally i wouldnt risk it.

I always go on the quads(twice in a 2 week holiday) with thomson/ or another tour operator, that way if anything should (hopefully not) happen to you, you will be covered on the insurance with the TO. If you have a TO's insurance and decide to go with another group/agent, then you will not be covered. Plus what some holiday makers do not realise as well is, if you go on ANY trip outside of the tour operators trips, they will not have a clue where you are to help, or know you have gone in case of emergency. If you take out your own insurance and go on the quads, please check with them they cover quads.

The trip we went on last Nov was exceptional with thomson, you are on the quads for a long time, combining with camel riding and a show and buffet, then a later quad in the dessert in the extreme dark.

I am not sure on the ages, but i have seen quad runners in the dessert, this is a two persons car, similar to a quad, but a go kart type of thing, they were very popular.

There is no way you would want to risk your child of that age in the dark on his own (not that you would) but it is very bumpy and skiddy.

Hope that helps :)

Miichelle x
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
thanks michelle for that i think thats out then for him another thing the grandaughter wants to do scuba diving she is 12 not sure if she is ok for that either??? :think
Hi

My daughter did the scuba diver course it is a pre Open Water course for youngsters ( she did this in Turkey but I think it is an International course). It is PADI approved and should be fine for a 12 year old.

There will be lots of dive schools around in Sharm that she can do this at.

Not being a diver myself I am not qualified to give you a lot of information, but wanted to let you know that although quads are a non started scuba should be fine. :tup

There is some info on the rambling thread that I will try and find and post to make it a bit clearer (or hopefully one of the regs will explain this a bit better)

Doe
Just found a little bit more info.

She did a test session in the hotel pool, which I believe was free, with the idea that you then are so keen you book something you pay for ;)

Firstly she did a half-day discover scuba course. It might be better for your grandaughter just to try this first incase it's not her thing.

She followed this with the full day scuba diver course. It was all PADI approved.

Haven't got costs in LE but costs in Euros were 83 Euros, plus 239 Euros, making 322 Euros. So that gives you a bit of an idea of how much you are looking at pricewise.

My DD has been skiing twice which she loved, but she said scuba diving was even better and if she had to choose between the two scuba would win hands down. :really :tup
At 12 she'll be able to do the PADI junior open water course. It lasts about 4 days with some (fairly easy) study and two dives per day. At the end she'll be qualified to dive with a parent or instructor as her dive buddy.
Almost any PADI centre will be happy to trainher if she is healthy - PADI have a self-declaration form she'll need to fill in and have signed to conform there are no medical issues.
Provided she is a sensible kid and willing to follow advice diving should be good fun for her...
We did quad biking in sharm about 3 years ago . We booked with our hotel and were staying at the hilton in sharks bay. I believe though they were connected to sinai dive club. We had 3 singles and a double for hubby and youngest son who was 9 at the time .
The company we went with were very professional and safety consious , we all had helmets , there were motorbike riders back and front who made sure no "bumping" went on, every bike kept a safe distance from each other and everybody stayed within a pack.

As michelle say if you intend to do it check with your travel insurance before you go and make sure you use a reputable company who use helmets . we saw many groups that wernt wearing them.

Your grandaughter will be fine to dive . She could actually do a full padi open water course from 10 but I have a feeling you mean a try day or discover scuba which you could do from an earlier age . Many of these small courses count towards a padi open water if you finish it within a year. My youngest son did a try day every holiday starting at 6 until he was able to do his full padi at 10 and my 2 eldest sons both started around 12 too . As Chris says it would be a good idea to start off small and see if she likes it first .

Lyn
well we went quad biking last year, my sons were 15 and 13 and we all had a quad to ourselves.(i was so scared) but it was great, just make sure you get the extra insurance...as its classed as dangerous..
My daughter also got her PADI open water last year at the age of 12
She did her pool and theory in the UK and then finished her qualification by doing her open water dives in Egypt. She loved it :)
We've just returned from Egypt, and passed a group of Quad bikes on our travels, they had adults with children on them, so you may be ok :)
thanks for all the advice i think we will play it by ear and see how safe it is when we get there.
dont realy want to take any chances though i whould never forgive myself if anything went wrong. :(
I wouldnt risk young children on quads as young as your grandson, adults fell off them on our trip, that was on single ones as well.
Quad runners which are similar like a go cart but bigger, does the same run, maybe your grandson can accompany you on one of those, if there isnt any age restrictions?
yes i think your right maybe i will let him drive my minbus instead lol. ;)
my son will be 12 when we go to csr, my insurence company have said you have to hold a driving licence and quad bike must be below 125cc for us to be covered, doees anyone know what the ccs are on these quads, looks like my lad wont be going on one, but we still might
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.