Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
We were in Costa Adeje in mid January and couldnt believe just how quiet it was. We normally go about 5th or so, but went later this year.

Totally amazing, the beaches were completely deserted. On Playa de Torviscas on one day there were only about a dozen people.

Mind you, I don't mind it quiet and I am not a clubber.
Not really surprising at this time of year. January is always a dead month for leisure travel as we're all broke from the christmas period. The 'credit crunch' is only making it worse.

I know several people that worked in PDLA as PRs for the bars and clubs, and most have come home as there is simply no money to make in January and February, baring in mind they work on almost 100% commission.
hi we always go feb march as my mum an dad do they jan to march been going for years now and they say they have never seen it this dead it was queit in november when we where there in torviscas
i can see a lot of bars closing down and shops to
Perhaps we are seeing the begining of the end of the resorts due to those who go AI
We were there over Christmas and N Year. Due to the collapse in sterling the prices in the shops, bars and restaurants are horrendous. No wonder there is a downturn. They should reduce their prices. We paid 6.50 Euros for a gin & tonic at Puerto Colom - it wasn't even a good measure. The supermarkets are all more expensive than in the UK. I think we have come to end of cheap holidays for the time being. Let's hope that all inclusives don't become to popular in Tenerife otherwise it will definitely spell the end for some of the bars and restaurants. I hate them they are bad for the locals and people tend to stay put and not explore outside the confines of the hotel.
so because the british economy has gone to pot we have to lower our prices here in Tenerife!!!???........... without trying to get into politics.... if the british people sorted out their leadership the country wouldnt be in such a bad state, the pound wouldnt be worthless, and everyone could again benifit from cheap holidays, and cheap prices when you get there..... dont forget the collapse of the pound has increased your holiday prices by over a third in the last year or so.
(oh and p.s we havent raised ANY of our prices in over a year!!!)
OK Hairyhamster

I quite agree with you that we should sort out or get rid of the government. I didn't vote them in. Regarding prices, I beg to differ. The last time I was in Tenerife, orange juice and coffee was included in the price of breakfast. Now it isn't. In times of crisis, if there is one in Tenerife, then everyone has to do the same. As another poster has stated the bars in Los Christianos are dead.

I am sure Tenerife will survive without the British holidaymakers as will other countries. We will be going to eurozone 3 times this year, but whether we go next year remains to be seen.

:sun2
Considering that a great deal of the tourists in Playa de las Americas and Los Cristianos are British, if you want business to survive then yes you should adjust to suit the British economy. Tenerife used to be a cheap Winter getaway. Now it's often cheaper to go to Egypt or the Caribbean, once all is said and done.
mmmm very intresting this. and to be honeat there is arguments on both sides, but the ex pats who own bars ect... over there expect us just to rollin over there at the moment and spend money like we use to is not going to happen. ok don't do meal/drink deals, thats up to you. but do not moan when where passing your bar. we all have to adapt to the current situation. i for one will be going S/C this year, but my morning breakfast will be cooked and eaten in the aprtments probley saving me over 250 euros in the two weeks hols. just add all that up who else is doing the same this year and see how the island will loose out on the revenue that could be still had with a bit of give and take.

i was there in september last year and i saw a large increase in drinks and food
I think you would be suprised how Tenerife doesnt rely on the British tourist as so many of you think. Obviously the British owned bars do, but this isnt all there is to Tenerife.

We are seeing many more Eastern europeans here also those from the eurozone are still comming, and these tourists still need to eat/drink and go on excursions, we are entering a time where maybe the strong will be the ones to survive, however it will get rid of all the pap there is around ;)
Hi

just got back from Tenerife - first time I'd been, so can't say how prices have changed. We stayed in San Miguel, just inland from Los Christianos. We found prices for food and drink similar to what you pay in th UK............I know where I'd rather be eating/drinking....

kev
Yes, obviously there are people from other countries, but the British are the dominant nationality on the island. Around 60% of flights to Tenerife South are from the UK or Ireland.

But remember that Germany, the second most populus nationality of tourists to the island, is also in recession. While they don't have the exchange rate to deal with, they'll still be wanting to spend less.
so when the pound was doing really well against the euro, the UK dropped prices to help the euros??
I don't think so :(
we go out first week of april as usual,be about 8 the year on run for the early break,i am sure we will be watching what we spend (self catering).
the point a previous post made about they will survive with out the brits,well i beg to differ very stongly.
the eastern europeans are renowned for not spending.
other western europeans in the main will drink in there apartments,i agree they may go out to eat,but as is there culture they will prolong a meal for hours.

when you go in the bars around san eugino/porto colom they were frequented by brits,
reading other forums i picked up a thread about benidorm and i believe its a nightmare over there for the bars,local expats and long stayers just can not afford to go out,bars deseted and thats if they are even open.

of course if the holiday resorts all over feel they can survive without the brit trade well best of luck to them,dont come crying afterwards.as a retailer my self you have to adapt to survive,find a deal that will cause the customer to step inside and hope fully they add to that purchase etc.

we go for the sun and the meals at night plus the singers in the bars at night,but if we have to adapt i will not mind going home with just the sun tan and well more energetic and rested than i usually do.
In addition to my previous post on how expensive it was in Tenerife, namely the tourist areas of PDA and the surrounding areas (Adeje, San Eugenio, Fanabe). We found that the village of Adeje, Los Abrigos, La Caleta for tapas, were not so expensive and served better food, especially the fresh fish. Wine at the tapas bar in La Caleta was only 1.30 Euros for a decent glass and beer at 1.20 Euros (Dorado). We were charged 6.50 Euros for a weak Gin & Tonic at the Blue Marlin (Puerto Colom) and a wacking 11.50 Euros for a king prawn cocktail on New Year's Eve (there were 6 king prawns) at Little Itlaina (Capri), Fanable. Judge for yourself.

The meals we had at Los Abrigos were between 35 - 46 Euros depending on what fish we had - included wine and beer. Fresh langoustines were 2.50 Euro each - a fantastic price.

Could it be that the tourists areas have always been more expensive and we only notice now that we are not getting a good rate????

This was put to me by another Brit who said the prices were always probably higher, but we didn't notice it. British tourist spots are also notoriously expensive and rip you off, although at the moment they are enjoying a boom in tourists as the Euro goes further.

I agree the Eastern Europeans do not spend like the Brits. I've seen them sit all night with one drink listening to acts.

The only thing going for Tenerife at the moment is the glorious weather they have, although having said this it rained quite a lot over Christmas. Perhaps we still go but self cater more, however the supermecados are not cheap either.

You are right the Brits did not lower their prices. The whole country is not so dependent on tourism as SouthernTenerife. The island attracts pensioners, who cannot sustain their standard of living in today's climate and these must contribute greatly to the economy of Tenerife.

Hopefully the present situation will not last too long.

:wave:
KEVP4 wrote:
so when the pound was doing really well against the euro, the UK dropped prices to help the euros??
I don't think so

Apples and oranges. The UK isn't dependent on inbound tourism from the Eurozone. Aside from bananas (which can't even be exported to the EU), what other source of income does the south of Tenerife have?
Interesting topic this is turning out to be. I have just come back from my 23rd holiday in Tenerife and am looking forward to going back in May. I agree that it has become noticably more expensive, more due to the exchange rate. But for me, I will just have to save harder. I love the sun and the place.
Yes, it is very quiet.

I have never seen it this quiet to be honest.

I have just got back after having 5 weeks out there and things were bleek. :que
over 6 euros or 6pounds for a gin and tonic is extortionate, this is not all down to the exchange rate, this drink would still have cost £4 at 1.50 euro to the pound, and that is extortionate too.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.