Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
The Bulgarian Black Sea resorts have some of the cleanest beaches in the world, and this dates back to Communist times (pre 1989).

Swarms of jellyfish are a natural phenomenon caused by climatic conditions, and can happen anywhere. They are not an 'all the time' problem.

Some of the adverse comments I read on certain forums I take with very large pinch of salt!

Peter
St Vlas does not have a blue flag.....

See Blue Flag Org

The following Bulgarian beaches are shown as having been awarded blue flags (I have emboldened & underlined the relevant entry).
Beach name Municipality Region
Albena Varna municipality Region of Varna
Duni Sozopol municipality Bourgas
Pomorie East Pomorie Bourgas
Sozopol Sozopol municipality Bourgas
Sunny Beach Nessebar municipality Bourgas
Sunny Day Varna municipality Region of Varna
Venid Beach-Saint Vlas Nesebar municipality Bourgas

Image and description of Venid beach

The marina in Saint Vlas is also shown as being awarded a blue flag.
St. Vlas has really improved with the building of the marina and has had some really good reviews this year. HMJ, who is on this forum had a great time there.
For me the only downside to the resort is it's hilly, but hey, you've got all day to wander up and down at one's leisure.

:sun2 Toonman
Thanks for all replies and advise, still undecided Ravda or St Vlas ???
Are there more restaurants / things to do in one resort than the other, are the beaches better in one resort etc..
Thanks again,
Martin..
Martin, we were in Ravda last year, and there was quite a bit of building work going on, which should have finished by now; there were a number of bars/restaurants, catering mainly for Bulgarian/Russian clients, with hardly any menus/signs in English - not a problem for us, but something to be aware of. We enjoyed it there, very laid back & restful - where are you thinking of staying?
Hi Doonhammer 2,
Thanks for taking time out to reply.
Apartment in Dream Holiday complex, top floor which is our choice for views, but friends say St Vlas is better..

Martin..
Hi, We have an apartment in Dream Holiday and have been out there 2/3 times each year. Nearly every restaurant you go to in Ravda has a translation in English, so you will have no problem. The majority of restaurants serve lovely food and I believe a lot cheaper than St. Vlas, although personally we have never been there. There is a slight hill down to the beach and maybe not as 'finished' as St. Vlas. You can use the facilities at the 5* Emerald Hotel at an additional cost, depends what you want from your holiday. Please feel free to email me if you require any further info. Yvette
Ravda is still classed as a village, although it does get bigger every year! The local shop reminds me of 'open all hour's' and although the daugher speaks basic english, her parents don't and we have great fun with them practicing our bulgarian! The only building work near Dream Holiday was completed early this year, so you have no building work going on around the complex. The main building work going on is on the other side of Ravda, on the main road between Ravda and Nessebar. There are numerous restaurants, small shops, water park, internet cafes, coffee shops, cocktail bars etc...hope this helps. Yvette :)
Hi Martin

We have been lucky enough to go to Ravda for 5 weeks every summer for the last 3 years. We love it and the people are really friendly. There are some really great restaurants in Ravda and they are still pretty cheap. We haven't found any restaurants yet that doesn't have english translation on the menu. We have met a lot of people from different countries who have all really loved their holiday in Ravda and are going back again next year.

There is quite a bit of building work going on but it is mostly close to where our apartment is which is down the road that heads towards Nessebar and not right in the centre of the village.

We did get the bus over to St Vlas in September this year and thought it was really hilly and also thought the beach was quite far from the main square but it was a bit similar to Ravda for shops and restaurants and it is a nice place too.

Liz
Thank you all for your replies regarding Ravda or St Vlas.
Still undecided but we have a while before we have to make our minds up, we usually book next years holiday by the end of this year.
Thanks again,
Martin..
hi,new on here,we was looking at property in ravda and vlas,we went for vlas,hope this helps.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.