Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Hi Lynne
We went to Reeethi Beach a couple of years ago, we thought the place was great, quite large in Maldivian standards as we were used to much smaller Islands,
I hope you are going AI, as the other restaurants tended to be a bit expensive, if you are going AI be aware that AI drinks are only available in the main bar area or the pool area, if you want a drink in the sunset bar or the coffee jetty you will be charged extra.
The Diving school is of a V good standard, I qualified here so as to enjoy the diving without having to do the course, each to their own, next year when we go to the Maldives again I will be doing my advanced as its not to much of a transition from one to another.
any more Q's please ask.

Regards
Joe :sun
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info, after thinking about it we ended up going B&B and are hoping that as we are prepared for it to be expensive it wont come as too much of a shock to us, but then again we may change our mind again before we go.

We had a first diving lesson in the pool which went ok, although i am not looking forward to diving at Stoney Cove in November so i may end up learning when im out there

Hope you enjoy your holiday in the Maldives next year.
Lynne
Stoney Cove in November is quite a challenge, I did my course late Oct early Nov, 5 degrees made it a bit uncomfortable, but it was still enjoyable.
Have a great time; the staff are very courteous and friendly.
Try the spa.

Regards

Joe

Did you try out any of the activities at the watersports centre on Reethi Beach.

I'm particularily interested in the Kite Surfing that is available, and anything else that they provide on the island.

TIA

Graham
Hi Graham
Just to let you know that the only water sport that I took part in was the para-sailing, take off from the beach and hopefully land back on the beach, I say hopefully because I didn't.
The water sports centre is fully stocked and easy to book, believe me they do fall over backwards to accomodate your needs.

Regards

I have heard on another message board that there are building works at Reethi Beach, does anybody know about these???

Thanks

Lynne
Just back from reethi Beach and loved it!

Who are these lazy folk who say there's nothing to do??? I did yoga, d :D iving trial seesion, night fishing, snorkelling boat trips, volleyball, step class, windsurfing, foootball, pool, table tennis, swimming, drinking, eating, quizzes, dancing, massages, pedicure, badminton, squash and tennis!

Wake up and try stuff!

Fantastic staff, great food, lovely accomodation and perfect beaches.

Saving up to go back as soon as I can!
Hi carly

Nice to hear that you enjoyed it, hopefully we will enjoy it just as much.

What type of accomadation did you stay in, and did you go all inclusive or just bed and breakfast?

How did the diving go, were you in the open water, or just trialing in the pool. We are thinking of doing the course, but have only tried one try dive at the local pool, so don't know what to do.

Thanks

Graham
:D I have just booked a surprise holiday for my wife and I to Reethi Beech in the Maldives. This is our first real holiday together and i'm already looking forward to it.

I have a question that i'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have booked B&B for the holiday as the ALL I would cost me an extra £1000 and (I have heard) you are limited to certain restaurants , bars etc. Have I done the right thing? I have heard that its very expensive however, we are not big eaters and although we like to have a good drink we do not do this to excess.

Can anyone who has been recently provide any advice on costs of meals, drink etc.

Cheers

Kelvin
Average prices for drinks in the maldives are $5 for a beer and $8-10 for a cocktail and $3-4 for a solf drink and bottles of water.

Depends how long you are staying for but I think the AI option at £1000 extra is OK if you are staying for two weeks - only if that is the additional cost in total between the two of you not each. It only works out as £71 a day which is $126 at todays rate. Not too much when you see how much the drinks are and you haven't taken into account the cost of any food. I would estimate dinner would cost between $50-70 per person and lunch maybe $20-30.

The maldives certainly isn't a cheap destination and you usually don't find much 'fast food' such as Burgers and chips to eat as a cheap alternative.
Cheers Cynical

We are going for 2 weeks.

I've just contacted the travel agent and it works out to £39 per person per night, therefore £1092 extra in total. That works out to about $1900, $140 per day for both of us.

Looking at your advice it seems that its going to be worth going AI, even without lunch, which I thought we wouldn't need after having breakfast.

Have you been to Reethi ?
Hi Kelvin,

No sorry haven'y been to Reethi but those are the typical prices for the 'normal' islands. My friend is at the moment flying back from the Hilton and she said one of the restaurants there was $200 per person for dinner!

I think AI is the way to go - you could spend $140 on drink alone in a day. be careful though as not many of the maldvian Islands include cocktails on the AI basis.

Tracy
Hi Tracey

I've looked in the Hayes & Jarvis brochure and cocktails are not included. One of the main reasons for not going AI was to get a choice of Restaurants etc. The brochure says that AI includes meals in the main restaurant with drinks (soft, selected spirits, beer and wine by the glass). Drinks only by the pool bar (soft, beer and wine by the glass ..no spirits).

Nothing about bottles of water, cocktails, other bars/restaurants.......

I suppose if I book AI then I can make sure I get my moneys worth .....

:D 8) :D
Kelvin,

have a look here for some reviews. general opinion seems to be that AI is the way to go. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298326-d316948-r3205638-Reethi_Beach_Resort-Baa_Atoll.html

I wouldn't worry about the food too much - we stay at a very small island that only has one restaurant (the whole island is all inclusive only) and the food was the best we have ever had on holiday). A great mix of indian, chinese, italian and greek!
KELVIN been to maldives 3 times very expensive ai is the way to go.enjoy yourselfs paradise on earth.
Hi Kevin
stayed at Reethi Beach 2 years ago which was before the island closed due to the Tsunami, I believe that it's all been sorted out by now, we stayed AI which did limit us to the main Restaurant and main bar, if you decide to pay extra for the AI that gives you a discount should you want to eat at one of the other restaurants.

You may have the option to upgrade from B&B once you arrive.

Regards

Joe
:D Thanks to everyone for your advice.

It looks like AI is the way ahead so I will be talking to the travel agents soon.

I have a Deluxe Villa booked for the first week, I wanted it for the full 2 weeks but it was only available for the first week, and I have a Water villa for the 2nd week. Looking at some of the pictures etc it seems idyllic.

Kelvin
Hi Kelvin,

I have to say that i am very jealous of you, we were due to go to Reethi Beach in January but it was closed after the Tsunami, we had booked B&B as when we contactd the resort directly and got a breakdown of there costs, we were better off this way as neither of us were big eaters and we had heard some negative opinions on the AI option at this resort, but like you we could not decide if we were doing the right thing.

Will be interested to get your thoughts on the island when you return as i would like to go there next year.
Hi Lynne

Do you still have the breakdown of costs that you got directly from the resort to give me an idea.

I will definately be putting some info on this site when we return.

Kelvin
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.