Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Residencia Miami,located on C/ Aladino.One of the oldest in Carihuela,cerca 1957.
Story is it was designed by Pablo Piccasos cousin.
A very nice place.
Just round the corner from my fav restaurant, the Bar Playa on C/ Bulto.
Have seen a good price for flights,

What dates are you looking at.? and it really depends on what you want.
Are you happy with just a clean bed and a shower or do you want breakfast thrown in, or the luxury of a hotel.?

I've just done a dummy run via Travel Republic on the hotel El Tiburon for the 19th-26th September,and it's £115.57 ROOM ONLY, but there are hundreds of places to eat nearby.

Just over £16 a day...that's going to take some beating.

Sanji
Hi there
Thank you for information about the Miami. I have looked at El Tiburon, is this ok? I have read it is being sold. I know they did breakfast but now don't. Would like breakfast but if not, I would go out for it, I hear there are plenty of places to go to. Want a nice hotel with comfy rooms nice vew with a good pool area, sun all day around it!! I am hoping to go 24th September or two or three days later.
Have looked at your pics Sanji, looks nice.
I always get nervous before I book, is it me or does everybody get like it!!? :que

Dawn :wave
Hi Dawn
I've never stayed at the hotel Tiburon, I obviously know where it is and must have walked passed it hundreds of times.
Other members who have stayed there may be able to help, I'll give a couple of them a nudge to this thread.

It would help if you could tell us your budget....The end of September is a popular time because there is the Romería de San Miguel on the 20th, the four days of the fair and the patron saints day (Saint Michael) on the 29th...it's really one long celebration with something going off somewhere in Torremolinos.

The hotel Barracuda might be worth looking at.....
This hotel is very popular with the Spanish and is in a good position, (front line hotel) although the food reviews are not too good, so, I think R/0 or B/B would be a good choice because there are plenty of places to eat nearby. The British bars were offering a full English breakfast (the works) around 5 euros.
Here's the website....
http://www.hotellabarracuda.com/index_uk.php

Via Travel Republic
La Barracuda hotel is showing prices of R/O £273.10. and B&B £284.78.... Date: 24/9/09-01/10/09

The hotel Tiburon for a room with private facilities and a balcony/terrace is ... £179.08 ... Date: 24/9/09-01/10/09

Just some ideas for you to consider, you go with what you fancy/want. :wink:

Sanji
Dawnie Rob, I don`t want to put you off the Tiburon but the rooms aren`t particularly comfy and the views aren`t the best but the hotel is a small friendly hotel that has a personal touch to it. The location is fab as you are in the midddle of La Careihulla and a 10 min stroll to the Marina.I have just posted some more info on Sanji`s thread La Careihulla (got mixed up)But You would be made to feel welcome at Tiburon has it has a small cosy bar, not sure if they do breakfast any more but I think they had a snack bar.

A nice hotel but a bit further out is the Balmoral, not many kids stay there, the rooms are very nice and a sea view from I belive all rooms, we had a side sea view and also a wonderfull mountain view as well. Breakfast was excellent, evening meal was good. Plenty of bars near to it, the beach opposite, Paloma park 10 min walk, Marina 20 min walk. Whilst I say further out it is still within an easy walk of most things.See my review of it from last year April 08.

Good luk i hope you find what you are looking for.
Hi Dawnie Rob - If you look at the hotel review section on here, the first report was made by my sister Shirley h, after our visit there at Easter last year.

don`t want to put you off the Tiburon but the rooms aren`t particularly comfy and the views aren`t the best but the hotel is a small friendly hotel that has a personal touch to it.

I agree that the rooms aren't luxury, but we didn't expect them to be at the price we paid & how much time are you going to spend in the room in a resort like this. The location is smashing, slap bang in the middle of everything. A ten min walk took you into Benalmedena & a 2o min walk in the opposite direction into the centre of Torremolinos - we never got there as La Carrihuela was so nice. The El Tiburon is literally yards from the beach with the promenade that seems to stretch to infinity. The staff were very warm & welcoming. On our day of departure it was too early for brekkie, but the chef opened the kitchen & cooked for us. The bar area is spacious with an excellent selection of drinks. We always ended up with a nightcap here & a chat with the barman. There were plenty of sunbeds & parasols around a decent size pool. There was also a few steps up to a nice little sunbathing terrace.
Helen I am not trying to pull El Tiburon down as we had a fantastic time and it was well apointed for a small hotel/pension. The only reason I said the rooms weren`t that comfy is that Dawnie was looking for a comfy room with a nice view and was previous looking at 4 stars, I didn`t want her booking and being disapointed. The rooms are more than adaquate.
Hi all,
Thank you for all your help and suggestions. This is slightly off topic but what are Travel Republic like to book with? Do you pay up front or is your payment held off until the day before, like some other companies do, if get what I mean. What is the procedure for booking with them? Have looked at their site but can't find information like this. Is the price the same if you book on line or the phone? The trains how easy it to travel from the airport, I have read that there are steps to the station, and what station would I require for La Carrihuela.

Thank you
Dawn :wave
Hi Dawn
We have a seperate thread about Travel Republic.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=74888
I have used them once, other members have used them more.
I had no problems at all, they send you an e-mail (accomodation voucher) which you print off and present at the hotel reception.
I was very worried about this and also having a print off for the airport to present at check-in.....and it all went perfect.
I phoned them and got the same price as the website, in fact, as I was booking the flight and hotel with them, the very helpful young man on the other end of the line, actually got me a cheaper flight that morning..... so, I can only speak as I find.

I haven't used them since because I have found a better deal with TO's and after doing quite a few price comparisons on various websites for you, Travel Republic were the lowest prices, so, that is THE only reason why I mentioned them.
They will take the full amount of the cost of the accomodation because there is less than 12 weeks before departure now.

Regarding the train station, there is no point advising you how to get to your accomodation and which station to get off, until we know where you are staying.
The trains are every 30 minutes and are very reliable, clean and on time.
At the moment due to the rail track being upgraded and the construction of the new Airport, there are about 12 steps to climb (with suitcases) to reach the platform, so unless you are old/frail or disabled, you should be able to manage them.

Sanji
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.